Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Anyone know what a blown speaker sounds like? I seem to have developed this sound coming from my speaker(s). Sounds like wind being blown into a speaker is the best I can describe it.

Before I call the dealer today anyone know if the speakers are covered in the warranty?

Personally not sure how they can be blown considering I have the volume 95% of the time at 7. And I mostly listen to podcasts and people talking.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i think our dealer said the audio was covered till 10.000 miles
the speaker may also pop and crackle
we had the rear sub blow on our dragon and the dealer replaced without question

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
always thought when a speaker was blown it would vibrate and distort the noise coming out. In the UK the car has a 5 or 7 year warranty..... but the stereo only has a 3 year one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My sub blew out the first week, was replaced under warranty as shorted.

You can blow speakers at low volume, it just takes a very distored input source.

Usually a blown speaker will rattle, pop or buzz a bit, you might also notice it plays much lower than the other speakers.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. When I called they just told me to bring it in. I described it the same way and they thought maybe it was something else.

I actually can't tell which speaker its coming from it really sounds like its coming from all of them when I go to each one, its really weird. Again its like your making a phone call outside on your cell phone on a windy day. Maybe I have a ghost in my machine? ;-)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its probably a blown amp . Been waiting for 3 weeks for my dealer to replace it, seems it is a problem with a lot of souls and they are on backorder. Having no music or phone in the summer sucks.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
or it could be interference from something else ie alternator suppressor. At least you are fortunate that it is a quickly "reproducable" problem and they will know exactly when it has been corrected. Good luck with it and let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys, small update. was on vacation. Turns out it was the amplifier gone bad. I guess there were a few other things too. Mood light thing and the fuel cap replacment. Only bad part is I have to wait for the amplifier replacement.

I will ask about the speakers Mike, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know the funny thing is I was talking to the parts person there and she said parts are indeed hard to get right now. Something about most of the parts coming from Japan? They said next week for the part so I have my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
interesting point!..... does Japan supply bits for a Korean car?..... i know the Koreans regard the Japanese as "the lazy people" (goodness only knows what they think of the rest of us!).... but do they buy Japanese bits?..... or has the recent earthquakes etc created a spares supply issue?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep she said that too, the earthqauke and other things that have happened are a major part of the problem. She said Japan makes the parts for a lot of different cars.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Little over 2 weeks, got the new amp installed and the speaker light switch was replaced. speakers seem a little less loud at 7 now and the lights a little less bright with the new switch. Oh yeah and Sirius XM works again without a subscription?

Also, still no Souls or even a Hyundai on the lot in Peoria, IL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts