1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
232 Posts
It seems like a lot of the issues newer engines have had over the last decade (engines with GDI, turbo) like excessive oil consumption (and engine failure from not checking the oil and running out) might be caused by doing extended oil changes.

There’s videos from a Ford tech and Toyota guy on YouTube showing what extended oil changes can cause, like carbon build up on piston rings and sludge.

But I don’t really know. Some people have no issues with extending their oil changes while others have oil burning or engine failure because of it. Maybe driving habits and conditions play a part in that.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The article says dont follow the sticker but rather check your owner's manual, you did and it tells you to change it at the 3750 intervals so the article is right, follow the owner's manual.
I'm a mechanic, my non Kia car says every 8k, I drive 80% highway and I have never gone o er 5500 without changing it. Its because I take these engines apart and can tell you exactly what they look like with extended service intervals when they fail.

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
438 Posts
On my daily drivers I go 5000 miles or 1` year between changes. As you can tell we don't drive much anymore. I always use GL-6 synthetic and check oil and other fluids each week.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Arggg! Please, bitte, por favor, NOT Another Oil thread!
* Administrator, please delete this useless thread!!!

Results for NOT changing oil on a regular basis are numerous, and can even be disastrous!!!
bwdz75 can testify to that, as can I.

It's down right Stupid and harmful to advocate L....O....N....G intervals between oil changes.
This is a HELP forum, not a HURT forum, so STOP advocating extended oil change intervals,
or I'll put a HEX on you! :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Results for NOT changing oil on a regular basis are numerous, and can even be disastrous!!!

It's down right Stupid and harmful to advocate L....O....N....G intervals between oil changes.
This is a HELP forum, not a HURT forum, so STOP advocating extended oil change intervals,
I was NOT ADVOCATING extended oil change interval by any means. I was just posting this this to show what is going on in the world of supposed experts in the press and some of the now lame information going out.

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
187 Posts
Changing it more often could never be a bad thing. I know that I have never had a car that the oil got so dirty, so fast as this little 2.0 Kia.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
It's weird, but by 3k miles, on my 2013 1.6L, my oil was almost black (really dark brown). I still have some, and use it for misc. lubrication around the house and shop.
But, on my 2020 Soul, 2.0L, at 3k, even after 24k on the odometer, my oil is still mostly clean. Weird, eh?
With every dealer oil change, with Castrol GTX 5W20, my engine also gets a shot of "Prolong" anti-friction additive.
She really runs Great!
:cool:

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's weird, but by 3k miles, on my 2013 1.6L, my oil was almost black (really dark brown). I still have some, and use it for misc. lubrication around the house and shop.
But, on my 2020 Soul, 2.0L, at 3k, even after 24k on the odometer, my oil is still mostly clean. Weird, eh?
With every dealer oil change, with Castrol GTX 5W20, my engine also gets a shot of "Prolong" anti-friction additive.
She really runs Great!
It’s mostly because GDI engines like your 1.6L create more soot that makes the oil dark looking quicker (like a diesel) and your 2020 has port injection so it won’t get as dirty looking as fast.

Reactions: Junk2.0

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
186 Posts

So you decide which threads are useful or not?

·
Registered
149 Posts
When discussing with a Kia tech last year he cautioned against long intervals especially for Turbo models. Rationale? The turbo uses the same oil as the engine and is more prone to issues as the oil gets thicker. Thick oil can result in your turbo working at less than optimal efficiency, or even ruin it if too bad.

In my own experience, in the last 300 miles of the short interval, I do notice that it runs MUCH Rougher when cold. My throttle response starts getting more sluggish, and that engine rpms seem less smooth as I rev.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Old Soul....Should be "Old Fool".
I've been here trying to help out, wherever I can since 2012, so I think I can make recommendation whenever and wherever I like. You have NO credit here at all. You've never helped anyone with anything. All you've ever done is just run your mouth.
So sit back and relax, and leave the floor to those who really know something about it. Eh?

To the rest of our readers, I wish you all a great day.

·
Registered
23 Posts
lol "Help out" BS, all I ever see you do in your posts is bitch/complain or tell people what they should do, how they should think, etc. You NEVER "help". You try and control. If you don't like someone's post then just scroll by. Of course you also always throw in a chest thumping "I know what I'm talking about, you don't know anything". If you had any idea what you were talking about you'd be out in the world using it. No sitting on forums online pissing in everyone's cheerios. So sit back and relax and leave the floor to those who don't feel like dealing with your crotchety old ass.

I've been here trying to help out, wherever I can since 2012, so I think I can make recommendation whenever and wherever I like. You have NO credit here at all. You've never helped anyone with anything. All you've ever done is just run your mouth.
So sit back and relax, and leave the floor to those who really know something about it. Eh?

·
Registered
552 Posts
"The oil change saga continues"

i can only speak for myself...

I understand there is an "oil issue" someplace.

After following the factory recall advice,
My motor warranty has been extended to
150,000 miles or 15 years. Sweet!

I check my oil level at every gasoline fill-up.
putting top tier gasoline in the tank.
And, top off my tire pressure while at Costco.

Also change my oil, oil filter, and oil filter washer very 5,000 miles.
My 2015 Kia Soul 2.0 has had ZERO PROBLEMS so far.

Runs Strong, looks good, fun to drive, win-win!

·
Registered
36 Posts
A real issue with these engines is Oil Dilution. The fuel system is "computer controlled" very precisely, except the tail pipe is sooty and black not brown or gray which means they run rich. The oil smells like gasoline when it's drained as well, and looks quite thin. The longer the interval, the thinner the oil gets. My '19 1.6 Turbo has 30K on it now, I use 10-30 oil and change every 5k miles. It uses zero oil between changes, the level never drops a bit.

·
Registered
186 Posts
lol "Help out" BS, all I ever see you do in your posts is bitch/complain or tell people what they should do, how they should think, etc. You NEVER "help". You try and control. If you don't like someone's post then just scroll by. Of course you also always throw in a chest thumping "I know what I'm talking about, you don't know anything". If you had any idea what you were talking about you'd be out in the world using it. No sitting on forums online pissing in everyone's cheerios. So sit back and relax and leave the floor to those who don't feel like dealing with your crotchety old ass.
Well said!

·
Registered
186 Posts

I apologize. I keep forgetting you're an automotive genius!!!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts