Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
468 Posts
AS a female comic used to say, "Can we talk?"
In this day and age, 31 mpg is OK, I guess, but not really good, and definitely NOT exceptional.
Just as a "for instance".....when I make the 26.5 mile trek from my place down to Inverness, FL, my car will be reporting as high as 43 mpg for the trip. It's just a two lane blacktop, and I try to stay within the posted speed limits.
Even out on I-75, trying to keep up with traffic, usually moving at 80+ mph, I'll usually get OVER 31 mpg.
But at 77, I'm not your every day driver. And, I set up my 2020 Soul (or any car) for maximum efficiency out on the road.
I run my tires at 42 psi, (or as close to that as I can get), and I use a K&N Air Cleaner, and I use a very high quality (and expensive) anti friction additive in my engine.
All told, my little Jem just runs GRRRRREAT! :D
That reminds me, I need to service my K&N Air Cleaner today.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
FLH :cool:
I still do not know how you get that kind of MPG. My wife's gets what the sticker says...and that is with me doing everything I can to get it up there......Must be the hills of NW PA -NE OH. Well it is ok...not great for a tiny motor with limited power mated to an "Efficient'' cvt. Of course....it is the shape of a cracker box.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Well, remember Willy, we don't have mountains here in FL. It's not perfectly Flat either, as most of the older roads are built over the existing terrain. So most of our so-called Flat roads still have a little Up and Down to them. As a road rises a bit, I'll loose a little MPG, but I pick it back up when the road drops a little. I don't do the averaging....the car does. I just read the numbers off of the on-board display.
When I'm going into Ocala, for instance, that's about 20 miles. Just getting down to I-75, about six miles, is all two lane road with six stop lights. MPG for that part of the trip will be in the 20's. No great economy there.
But once on I-75 I can either sit in the slow lane for the ten mile trip, and cruise along at 65 to 70 mph and get MPG in the high 30's, or I can get over into the High Speed lane and take my chances at 80+ mph.

The KIA Soul doesn't give up its really GOOD MPG easily. You (or I) really have to work at it. I'm constantly using the Pulse & Glide technique to minimize fuel consumption.
I've raised my tire pressure from the OEM 33 psi, to a more performance oriented 42 psi. I like it, my car likes it, and my dealer doesn't argue with me about it.
Finally, the engine breaths a little easier with the K&N Air Cleaner, and the engine also runs a bit smoother with a High Quality Anti Friction additive, which I add to the engine, after each oil change.

I can only guess, that if you did any of the things that I do to increase performance, you too would see better MPG.

Y'all take care now,

·
Registered
117 Posts
I still do not know how you get that kind of MPG. My wife's gets what the sticker says...and that is with me doing everything I can to get it up there......Must be the hills of NW PA -NE OH. Well it is ok...not great for a tiny motor with limited power mated to an "Efficient'' cvt. Of course....it is the shape of a cracker box.
Living in Florida a much warmer climate, always buy the cheapest gas possible. Lately I have purchased
Super Tech Fuel Injector Cleaner, 6.0 FL OZ and notice a 10% increase in gas mileage using it!
1615294442924.png

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
52 Posts
Living in Florida a much warmer climate, always buy the cheapest gas possible. Lately I have purchased
Super Tech Fuel Injector Cleaner, 6.0 FL OZ and notice a 10% increase in gas mileage using it! View attachment 136328 View attachment 136328
I wonder what the active ingredient is in that.

Although this document is quite dated (2012) Kia recommends TECHRON® Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner, one ounce per gallon up to 12 for 12 gallons of fuel. At every standard oil change interval (7500) miles, if TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is not available.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wonder what the active ingredient is in that.

Although this document is quite dated (2012) Kia recommends TECHRON® Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner, one ounce per gallon up to 12 for 12 gallons of fuel. At every standard oil change interval (7500) miles, if TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is not available.

Even though they've stated aftermarket additives/conditioners and products or services that are not recommended by Kia, including flushing lubricating oil and hydraulic fluid systems. It's a cheap fuel injector cleaner, similar to TECHRON® Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner in which they do suggest. Wonder if they do get a kick back for suggesting their product. Anyway try a bottle and check you gas mileage!

·
Banned
468 Posts
Even though they've stated aftermarket additives/conditioners and products or services that are not recommended by Kia, including flushing lubricating oil and hydraulic fluid systems. It's a cheap fuel injector cleaner, similar to TECHRON® Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner in which they do suggest. Wonder if they do get a kick back for suggesting their product. Anyway try a bottle and check you gas mileage!
I did, no change.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's what we've been doing on all our vehicles, sold at costco seems to be cheapest. No problems so far, and vehicles have gone 100K+ miles plus without issues, so perhaps it helped. We also seafoam vehicles at 25K mile intervals after 75K miles.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
52 Posts
Wonder if they do get a kick back for suggesting their product.
Who knows! It was probably suggested since its a brand that is widely available. If the active ingredient is known then, in my opinion, a generic would be an acceptable substitution.

With my driving habits, for example; I have a 2002 F-250 that was purchased new and has less than 58K on it, and still have it, I'll lean towards the name brand every 3.5K/7.5K miles.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Why quibble? Just use what KIA suggests and you can't go wrong.
I do, and my car loves it!

But I don't know what all this has to do with this thread's Topic?
:cool:

·
Registered
170 Posts
All CVT’s have had problems, many problems...(just do a quick search and be ready to read for weeks). Yes, even Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, etc., etc.
I really liked Kia and Hyundai for staying away from them, but like all others, the cheaper, but more unreliable transmission, won. These are already showing signs of problems as indicated on the original posting. I’m afraid that many more will surface as they sell more of these. The Kia Soul has been an amazingly realiable vehicle, reason why Kia sold so many...I’m not sure that will be the case from now on, unless you get base model with the 6 speed manual transmission or buy another model with the traditional automatic transmission. Get a troublesome transmission for maybe one more mile per gallon? No thanks!
And here I thought it was the hamsters that made them fly off the lots. Even the lizard ads are cool. The soul has a reputation that is very good. The cars just sell themselves.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
900 Posts
Who knows! It was probably suggested since its a brand that is widely available. If the active ingredient is known then, in my opinion, a generic would be an acceptable substitution.

With my driving habits, for example; I have a 2002 F-250 that was purchased new and has less than 58K on it, and still have it, I'll lean towards the name brand every 3.5K/7.5K miles.
MSDS's

WM Super Tech fuel injection cleaner
Techron (Trade Secrets?)

Reactions: billybob71

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
In spite of all the Super Gurus that hawk one brand or another, KIA Still suggests that if we're going to use a Fuel Injector Cleaner, we use the Techron.
With the demise of the GDI engine on the Soul, Fuel Injector Cleaners might do more for the "Feelings" of the driver than for the well being of the engine.
But, I do like feeling good, so I continue to use the Techron product, about two weeks before an oil change. My Soul seems to like it too. It always adds a little kick to her getalong. ;)

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I understand that Kia is fairly new with their CVT technology. First generation and only second car to leverage this other than the Forte.
What do you think about their reliability and durability?
I'm asking this because there is already people complaining about blown CVT in their Forte.
2019 Kia Forte Power Train Problems

I like EVERYTHING about this 2020 Soul, but just worried about the CVT.
Would you go ahead with this new model or wait for a year or two?
Thanks.
i have a 2020 soul at 16300 miles it is on its 2nd auto trans. Love the car but now i am not sure about reliability

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
With the millions of Gen 3 Souls on the roads today, (they're Everywhere!) you and your IVT problems are very much in the Minority. However you do have my deepest sympathy.
I think that my own experience is more the common. My own IVT is working VERY WELL indeed. Even with it's quirkyness, it's still a step above the six speed AT in my 2013 Soul. And I've gotten used to its Quirkyness! :)
I love the manual shift option and the Overdrive Gear (8th Gear).
If I ever have an IVT failure, I will certainly let y'all know about it.
Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
303 Posts
i have a 2020 soul at 16300 miles it is on its 2nd auto trans. Love the car but now i am not sure about reliability
Man I’m sorry to hear about that. Due to Covid restrictions, I’ve only got 5000 miles on my 2020EX. I‘ve had zero problems with my IVT so far. But just think with the 100,000 mile power train warranty, and assuming 10,000 miles between failure, your going to drive Kia crazy. Hopefull, they will get this IVT situation sorted out relatively quickly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm driving a 2020 Kia Soul 2.0. Does anyone know if these IVTs ever have to have the oil changed? I get that they are sealed, but presumably there is a pan that can be removed (probably by the dealer).

Just seems kind of weird to me. Normal wear and tear and no way to remove the little inevitable metal particles.

Does that mean drop it like a hot potato when the drivetrain warranty expires?

I only have 10,000 miles on mine, just wondering. I can't seem to find any info relevant to the IVT... I suppose the dealer knows. But they don't always know everything.

They couldn't tell me why it won't start with a spare key, without the clicker (fob). The answer to that is in the user manual. Turn the spare key until the engine lights are on. (Alarm will sound) Wait thirty seconds. The vehicle will start.

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul GT-Line
8 Posts
I'm driving a 2020 Kia Soul 2.0. Does anyone know if these IVTs ever have to have the oil changed? I get that they are sealed, but presumably there is a pan that can be removed (probably by the dealer).
Yes

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Since AT's went Sealed, there has been a Flush & Fill machine, that is connected into the fluid cooling lines. The machine then pumps out the old fluid and replaces is with clean, new fluid. Most car dealers today have one of those machines in their shop. When using the Flush & Fill machine, the AT is never opened up. In most AT's today, there is no internal filter.
I had that done on my Gen-1 Soul at 65,000 miles. I bargained that job down to $145 at my KIA Dealer.
Some places will charge over $200 for the same job.
I noticed NO difference in the operation of the six speed AT, after the fluid change.

I probably won't have my 2020 Soul long enough, for it to need an AT service, or even new spark plugs.

Happy Motoring, Mates!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts