Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that Kia is fairly new with their CVT technology. First generation and only second car to leverage this other than the Forte.
What do you think about their reliability and durability?
I'm asking this because there is already people complaining about blown CVT in their Forte.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Kia/Forte/2019/drivetrain/power_train.shtml

I like EVERYTHING about this 2020 Soul, but just worried about the CVT.
Would you go ahead with this new model or wait for a year or two?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
785 Posts
You have a 50/50 chance something will or will not go bad. To back that up you have a 10 yr/100,000 mile warranty.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,595 Posts
This IVT is a different because it uses a chain. This isn't it's first year as it's the same engine used in the Forte.

It's probably always going to be best to wait as supposedly they make improvements, but like Nick says, you get a 10 yr warranty on the engine, so out of pocket risk is minimized.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, in fact I am not as I intend to own a GT-line EX limited as soon as they are available and my dealer can get me one. The car is warrantied.
As GeoSoul has pointed out this IVT is different from the run of the mill CVTs. As time goes on they all are getting better. In the early years Auto trannies were greeted with similar suspicion. Get used to it, before you know it regular auto trannies will have gone the way of the dinosaur.

Pat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, I will also be ordering a GT turbo when they’re available here. With the warranty and my driving mileage it will be 10 years before I hit 100,000 miles. All the reviews I’ve read are nothing but positive. It blows away any competition in its class. Just my take. Love this site.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
we had similar remarks when they came out with the 6-speed auto back in 2012 (in-house designed and built), and I bought a 2012 (the 6-speed auto was one of the new items that enticed me to purchase that year) and it worked flawless for the 4.5 yrs I owned it and then traded it on my current 2016 which also has the same transmission - no problems.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
The link the OP gave for complaints only shows 1 owner who said the trans blew. Otherwise for 2019 & 18 it looks like little to no complaints about "blown engines."

And they are MultiPort injection, not to be confused with the drama surrounding the GDI Gen 2 engines.

If it were 10 years ago I might suggest waiting, but CVTs are really mainstream now & better built.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I understand that Kia is fairly new with their CVT technology. First generation and only second car to leverage this other than the Forte.
I'm asking this because there is already people complaining about blown CVT in their Forte.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Kia/Forte/2019/drivetrain/power_train.shtml

Thanks.
A couple of choices about the CVT transmission.
1 - If reliability is a concern, buy from brands that have better reputations.
2 - Buy the Soul and trust you will have no problems and if you do there is the warranty to protect you.
3 - Find other issues that are important, such as size and fit, to make choices on.

About "bad ratings" I find that some do have problems and become squeaky wheels but of thousands of wheels sold it does not seem to be a major problem. A concern? Yes. A major problem? No.

·
Registered
10 Posts
All CVT’s have had problems, many problems...(just do a quick search and be ready to read for weeks). Yes, even Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, etc., etc.
I really liked Kia and Hyundai for staying away from them, but like all others, the cheaper, but more unreliable transmission, won. These are already showing signs of problems as indicated on the original posting. I’m afraid that many more will surface as they sell more of these. The Kia Soul has been an amazingly realiable vehicle, reason why Kia sold so many...I’m not sure that will be the case from now on, unless you get base model with the 6 speed manual transmission or buy another model with the traditional automatic transmission. Get a troublesome transmission for maybe one more mile per gallon? No thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
900 Posts
Welcome to the forum BobbyM. Appreciate a man who expresses his opinion.
What you driving?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome to the forum BobbyM. Appreciate a man who expresses his opinion.
What you driving?
Thanks! I am retired now, but through my years I’ve owned several vehicles, but I’m partial to Japanese brands after being burned a few times with others. Right now I have a Toyota 86, a Kia Sportage and wife drives a Toyota RAV4. Before that I had Subaru’s, Nissans, Fords, Chevys, BMW’s and a few others. My first car was an old Peugeot my father gave me.
I wish manufacturers would consider quality more than costs and profits, but I know better...

·
Registered
7,595 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Not to be a downer but this thread is about 9 months old. There are some brand new ones going on about the IVT with real world results.

Just sayin':)

https://www.kiasoulforums.com/threads/transmission-fail.116413/#post-1284706

https://www.kiasoulforums.com/threa...-be-at-low-total-mileage.116417/#post-1284685
Rather than creating a separate thread for every transmission failure, mods should just organize one and sticky it where people log what happened, without generating useless ivt debate at every thread. This will get handy during a class action suit. ?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Sniff! I feel left out, because my own IVT is working perfectly, just like the engineers designed it.

:cool:

·
Registered
503 Posts
So far, I think the CVT in my 2020 Soul LX is working great. I've heard of a few cases where transmissions have failed. Every car model with a transmission has some failures. A transmission is a mechanical system. Mechanical systems sometimes fail, for various reasons. I've seen no reason to expect my Soul's transmission to fail. If that happens, though, I have a warranty.

Right now, my 2020 LX has 2860 miles on it since it was built in May of 2019. I expect that when I trade it in, it will have about 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2019 Kia Forte Power Train Problems

Thanks.
As someone that works at a Kia Dealership and has seen the results so far, I'd stay as far away from a Soul, Forte and the new Seltos as possible. We are seeing vehicles with less then a thousand kilometers requiring new IVT transmissions and the replacements are the exact same ones....no fix. We have yet to have a repeat but it's only a matter of time. How confident would you be with a brand new vehicle needing transmission(s) within the break-in period? Kia should cut their losses and go back to the future.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
This old thread would make more sense to newcomers if some folks would learn not to call an apple an orange.

The 2020 KIA Soul does not now, and has never had a CVT! Period.
The old CVT's had V-Belts in them and had that old rubber band feel when accelerating. It was also driven by centrifugal force.
However we have a totally new transmission, called an "Intelligent Variable Transmission" (IVT) with a steel chain in it and it's controlled by a computer for its shift points, etc. In manual mode, and with the GO Pedal Down, it will shift just like a six speed AT. Like the one I had in my 2013 Soul.
I've driven both types, and I really do love the IVT, while I really DON'T like the old CVT at all.

At over 11,000 miles now, I've had NO problems with my own IVT. It works as well as it did on day one, and that was a year ago.

Happy Mother's Day!
FLH :cool:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts