Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I am considering a 2020 Soul S and we are at 20K OTD and the dealer does free "lifetime" oil changes. There are no additional options except for the mats.
Anyone get a better deal? TIA.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Also depends if you are financing and what interest rate you get if so.
And if you have a trade whether or not they have you a good price on it.
The total figure on the paperwork isn’t the whole story of a good deal.
Plus it’s difficult to compare as deals, interest rates and so on all affect the price. So does when you’re buying. End of month, end of quarter, and end of year tend to give the best results (in reverse order).

If your deal is cash or interest free and you have no trade or for an excellent price on one, then your deal sounds good to me if it includes taxes, registration etc etc.

Put it this way, I bought our S cash over a year ago and it cost me $22,500 or so out the door iirc including Texas taxes, extras like white paint, mats, locking wheel nuts, front tints and A few more minor things. And I bought it when these were the new hot thing and they couldn’t keep them on the lot. I also bought it at the beginning of the month/quarter and there was no pandemic. All bad.

I don’t know what a good deal is today but given I would have paid about $21,500 for what you say you have means in my eyes it seems you got a pretty good deal. See what Tru Car says...

I wouldn’t give a stuff about the free oil changes personally as frankly I only want them putting fully synthetic in which they don’t for free. Besides, there’s no free lunch, you’re paying for it somewhere.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Right now I am considering a 2020 Soul S and we are at 20K OTD and the dealer does free "lifetime" oil changes. There are no additional options except for the mats.
That is expensive for an "s"
I mean,is a great price for an s model like a year ago, but right now the deers are running lots of discount plus they are getting rid of the soul 2020 to get 2021.
With that cash you can buy a ex in Virginia and Maryland.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul S
12 Posts
Today, in Chicago suburb, I paid a little less than $19k incl fees, tax, title, plate xfer, no trade in, paid cash. It's in my garage and it's a beautiful white, just like I wanted!

·
Banned
27 Posts
D
Don't buy a kia soul there's an issue with the pistons being made too short and the oil gets sucked up quick and eventually after a yr the engine will need to be re placed $8,200.00. All kia souls have this problem! Don't buy from Drivetime!!!!

·
Banned
27 Posts
Also depends if you are financing and what interest rate you get if so.
And if you have a trade whether or not they have you a good price on it.
The total figure on the paperwork isn’t the whole story of a good deal.
Plus it’s difficult to compare as deals, interest rates and so on all affect the price. So does when you’re buying. End of month, end of quarter, and end of year tend to give the best results (in reverse order).

If your deal is cash or interest free and you have no trade or for an excellent price on one, then your deal sounds good to me if it includes taxes, registration etc etc.

Put it this way, I bought our S cash over a year ago and it cost me $22,500 or so out the door iirc including Texas taxes, extras like white paint, mats, locking wheel nuts, front tints and A few more minor things. And I bought it when these were the new hot thing and they couldn’t keep them on the lot. I also bought it at the beginning of the month/quarter and there was no pandemic. All bad.

I don’t know what a good deal is today but given I would have paid about $21,500 for what you say you have means in my eyes it seems you got a pretty good deal. See what Tru Car says...

I wouldn’t give a stuff about the free oil changes personally as frankly I only want them putting fully synthetic in which they don’t for free. Besides, there’s no free lunch, you’re paying for it somewhere.
Don't buy from dive time!!!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Why are you blaming Drivetime?
Was the oil full and clean at time of purchase?
Did you ask for compression reads on each cylinder?
If so, were they within spec?
Did you follow proper maintenance procedures?
How often was oil level checked?
Sorry for your negative experience, but is Kia really to blame for how the engine was operated and serviced?
In other posts, you claim pistons are too short...based upon what?

Pistons too short? 65.7 mm on a 77 mm bore is too short?
The Soul motors are not even over square...stroke is longer than bore is wide.
1.6: 77mm x 85.44 mm
2.0: 81 x 97 mm

The Kia Soul 1.6 is a tight tolerance motor

Kia Soul: Piston and Connecting Rod Inspection - Cylinder Block - Engine Mechanical System
Engine Mechanical System. Cylinder Block. Piston and Connecting Rod Inspection
www.kisouman.com

Some M/C pistons are shorter and capable of 2x the RPMs.

Yes, the owner's manual advises to check oil regularly.

Which of the following forum suggestions did you follow?

1. Use 5W30 instead of 5W20 oil

2. Use synthetic oil

3. Use TopTier fuel

4. Pull and "read" spark plugs yearly

5. Check PCV for build-up and replace by ~50K miles

6. Check oil level minimum once a month

7. Change oil at intervals not to exceed 5K miles

·
Banned
27 Posts
Why are you blaming Drivetime?
Was the oil full and clean at time of purchase?
Did you ask for compression reads on each cylinder?
If so, were they within spec?
Did you follow proper maintenance procedures?
How often was oil level checked?
Sorry for your negative experience, but is Kia really to blame for how the engine was operated and serviced?
In other posts, you claim pistons are too short...based upon what?

Pistons too short? 65.7 mm on a 77 mm bore is too short?
The Soul motors are not even over square...stroke is longer than bore is wide.
1.6: 77mm x 85.44 mm
2.0: 81 x 97 mm

The Kia Soul 1.6 is a tight tolerance motor

Kia Soul: Piston and Connecting Rod Inspection - Cylinder Block - Engine Mechanical System
Engine Mechanical System. Cylinder Block. Piston and Connecting Rod Inspection
www.kisouman.com

Some M/C pistons are shorter and capable of 2x the RPMs.

Yes, the owner's manual advises to check oil regularly.

Which of the following forum suggestions did you follow?

1. Use 5W30 instead of 5W20 oil

2. Use synthetic oil

3. Use TopTier fuel

4. Pull and "read" spark plugs yearly

5. Check PCV for build-up and replace by ~50K miles

6. Check oil level minimum once a month

7. Change oil at intervals not to exceed 5K miles
Drive time is a scam read the reviews I am personally had problems with them and the vehicle I bought they are liars! The reps lied to us the warranty company is full.of crap. From the beginning first wk. The sun roof ended to be replaced and the struts. I had to fight with warranty company for at least a month and a half. The checklist they gave us wasn't even the full [email protected]!!!!! I took care of my car and did all my oil changes.

·
Registered
2020 LX IVT
49 Posts
D

Don't buy a kia soul there's an issue with the pistons being made too short and the oil gets sucked up quick and eventually after a yr the engine will need to be re placed $8,200.00. All kia souls have this problem! Don't buy from Drivetime!!!!
If this is the case (I've had mine since Mar 19) the replacement would be warrantied, right?

·
Banned
27 Posts
If this is the case (I've had mine since Mar 19) the replacement would be warrantied, right?
It should be but the warranty company Silverrock will come up with every excuse to not do it. Hopefully that isn't your warranty company. Check your oil and make sure its not all sucked up because once the postons are messed up it will cost $8,200.00 to replace engine! Check Google and see the recalls on all kia souls except mine 2016! Everyone has had these issues! I'm speaking from a very bad issue!

·
Registered
224 Posts
The "short piston" is the one that smoked as a teenager...

There's an EX ECO?
yes there is I have a 2020 EX— the “bare bones” version with the 17 inch wheels. It has a tab on the Back “ECO Dynamics“ and EPA says it gets the best gas mileage of any 2020 Soul. I’m not complaining about what I get. It’s better than what I gon over all than the 2011 Forte EX I had.

·
Registered
2020 LX IVT
49 Posts
It should be but the warranty company Silverrock will come up with every excuse to not do it. Hopefully that isn't your warranty company. Check your oil and make sure its not all sucked up because once the postons are messed up it will cost $8,200.00 to replace engine! Check Google and see the recalls on all kia souls except mine 2016! Everyone has had these issues! I'm speaking from a very bad issue!
OK, now I see the confusion, you were talking about an older Soul, which is unrelated to the 2020 you commented on. New Soul's have extensive warranty's, and their mechanical problems are distinct from older ones. Your issue is really very specific, from a used car perspective...

·
Banned
27 Posts
OK, now I see the confusion, you were talking about an older Soul, which is unrelated to the 2020 you commented on. New Soul's have extensive warranty's, and their mechanical problems are distinct from older ones. Your issue is really very specific, from a used car perspective...
My car is a 2016 kia soul, the 2015 kia soul has issues there other yrs t

·
Registered
2020 SOUL S in Inferno Red
16 Posts
In late September I purchased a 2020 Soul S in the MD suburbs of Washington DC for 18,880 OTD. I believe the end of model year $2,500 rebate is still around. With the rebate, you have the option upgrading to the EX model (with all of its additional features) for a little over 21,000--which is what you would have paid for the S model before the end of model year rebate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We bought a 2020 Soul S in Mars Orange (August 2020) brand new, with 2 dealer installed options ..tinted full vent shades and puddle lamps (I thought they were stupid...but I actually like them)...$17,500 OUT THE DOOR. This car is greatttt. Hope the transmission is ok...so far, 3,250 miles and counting. It thinks it's a race car. .shh...don't tell her otherwise! Changed the oil to 5 w 30 Mobile 1 at 600 miles...dealer change with Kia filter...my oil.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts