Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1501 - 1520 of 1538 Posts

·
Registered
2014 KIA SOUL Plus
156 Posts
Hey Kerig3.... Go to amazon or e-bay and search for 24 inch LED strip, the box said it was a light guide, but that was a Chinese translation. The hood does not touch the strip, plenty of clearance because our headlights have a slot they fit into. Yes, they are visible in daylight. I have moving pictures of the sequential amber signal, but I was not able to post a video of 30 seconds. All my previous LED mods have lasted the life of the car.
Dig this mod:

Scion XB with light strip under spoiler. Won my first show trophy that day.

·
Registered
✴️BING✴️ Toast's ready, pass the butter!
1,094 Posts
Hey Kerig3.... Go to amazon or e-bay and search for 24 inch LED strip, the box said it was a light guide, but that was a Chinese translation. The hood does not touch the strip, plenty of clearance because our headlights have a slot they fit into. Yes, they are visible in daylight. I have moving pictures of the sequential amber signal, but I was not able to post a video of 30 seconds. All my previous LED mods have lasted the life of the car.
Dig this mod:
View attachment 136049
Scion XB with light strip under spoiler. Won my first show trophy that day.

Sweet XB!
I can never show my brother this—six years ago the love of his life, his Scion XB, was rear ended and totalled. He's still in mourning to this day. 😒

The reason I asked about which specific one you got was because Amazon carries a few different "models" of varying quality, all from China. I didn't want to accidentally get one of the inferior versions. Do you remember the manufacturer name on the box? Or maybe check your Amazon past orders? No rush, it's -5°F here so I won't be modding my Soul anytime soon. 😉

Here's the thread I started here over a year ago about these LED strip lights. Unfortunately I don't think the lights linked in the video I posted back then are available on Amazon anymore:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Was your brother on 'ScionLife.com? A box I would know? A box I raced at a show?
Nah, you wouldn't have known him, he drove an unmodded Scion XB box. He was just a tad bit overly obsessed with it. I liked the car, but I think the Soul is a better car for your dollar, although it wasn't available when my brother originally bought his XB. After it was totaled he replaced it with a Scion XD, a car I've never seen on the streets here in the Midwest. He didn't care for the look of the 2nd generation XB that was on the dealerships lots at that time. He didn't like that it was less boxy. 😏

Thanks for the link! 👍

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got wired this weekend. Solder was needed as my crimping skills failed the task.
Tiny LED wires from this light strip need to connect to wires in headlight assembly wiring harness.
View attachment 136046
The result was cool. Sequential amber directional flair is very cool.
If you have soldering skills, a gun and flux, this could be a $20 mod.
Instead of having Daytime Running Lights, I connected the white light wire to my parking lights.
View attachment 136047
Our headlight assembly has a perfect slot for this 24 inch LED strip.
Hidden under the hood, the clear plastic at the top of the headlight assembly allows light to emit.
View attachment 136048
I used painters tape to hold the lights in the slot so they became used to the twisting shape, before using the tape on bottom side of the light strip. I got them working before I secured them. These lights came with enough wire to reach the headlight harness. I would recommend this mod to all Soul owners.
Instead of soldering, would a T-tap suffice? I used those to get projector headlights to work on my base, since I don't have a garage.

Very cool mod as I'm contemplating these as well.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
891 Posts
Still snowing. Ain't drivin'!
Checked for rats. That's it for today.

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
531 Posts
The overnight temperature dipped down to a low of -38C for a few hours. 🥶🥶 I was not able to plug my Soul in last night so I was not very hopeful that my Soul would start today. It started up no problem! 🤯😳😎🙂👍🍻
I took it for a drive to warm things up.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

😆🤣😂

I'd heard you Westies (not a real term, just made it up) finally got hit with some Winter. We got ours last week and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. -12°F with a -25°F wind chill last night and it's only 2°F at noon. 😩

Our Soul started right up for my wife @4am, but there's no way it warmed up in her mile commute to work.

I'm ready for Spring NOW!
I blame that cursed, overgrown rat for not seeing his &$#@ing shadow. 😠

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
-12°F with a -25°F wind chill last night and it's only 2°F at noon. 😩
I remember that miserable cra*. It's why I left all those years ago. :ROFLMAO:

We had some rain a couple weeks ago, and some cold. You know down all the way into the 30's overnight a couple times.
Only into the 60's today. You would probably be shirtless in shorts and flip flops. ;)

·
Registered
2016 MT
15 Posts
At 73 mph, the Green Goblin just wouldn't warm up much this morning, even after driving for 45 minutes. Wonder why?

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
891 Posts
Reactions: hammersmn

·
Registered
461 Posts
Rolling black outs in Texas. Wind turbines are freezing.

Some consider forced loading shedding as always a planning failure. Extreme cold weather has been causing regularly problems for the US electrical system so perhaps this round should have been anticipated.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul ! - Titanium Gray w/panoramic sunroof
8 Posts
I had a new factory rear spoiler installed at my dealer. I know I ended paying too much for the service, but I wanted it done right. Factory parts are guaranteed when installed by the dealer and there was no way I was going to do any drilling into my car myself. Anyhow, it looks great.
While I was waiting, I was checking out the parts department and they were running a stupid deal on a full set of Gen2 OEM carpeted floor mats for $25! I snagged a set immediately and will eventually replace the current ones when they wear out.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I know I ended paying too much for the service, but I wanted it done right. Factory parts are guaranteed when installed by the dealer
May I ask how much?
I wasn't aware of this guarantee, do you know if this still applies even if the OEM spoiler wasn't purchased through the dealership that installs it?
Be sure to share some photos once you're able to! 👍

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul ! - Titanium Gray w/panoramic sunroof
8 Posts
May I ask how much?
I wasn't aware of this guarantee, do you know if this still applies even if the OEM spoiler wasn't purchased through the dealership that installs it?
Be sure to share some photos once you're able to! 👍
This is a quote directly taken from my local dealer's website:
**Kia Genuine replacement parts (except battery) installed by an Authorized Kia Dealer under warranty are covered for the greater of (1) the duration of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or (2) the first 12 months from the date of installation of the Kia Genuine replacement parts or 12,000 miles.

The wording says "replacement parts" but I would like to think that a genuine Kia part installed by the dealer should be covered even if it wasn't a replacement of an existing part. The spoiler may have been an option when the car was new.
The install was just over $300. Ouch.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I was first offered 300 and I said no. They came back and said 200 if I do it today. So I took it.

1501 - 1520 of 1538 Posts