Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1301 - 1320 of 1324 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
This is how I end up with so much scrap wood, misc hardware, and who knows what in the garage.
It could be useful for something. To an extent that came true when we bought a house instead of renting.
Because something always needs fixing.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I started a paint touch-up project.

I bought two paint pens from a Kia dealer on eBay and touched up all the tiny nicks from the dust and rocks. There were roughly a bazillion of them. Maybe a bazillion and a half. Somewhere around there.

Next step will be compounding to make the little dots disappear, followed by a black-pigmented polish by Turtle Wax that I've never used before; and possibly followed by a coat of Meguiar's Black Car Wax over the polish once it cures. I haven't used the Turtle Wax product so I don't know yet.

I can only go as far as the compounding at this point because the Turtle Wax stuff isn't coming in until Tuesday. Unless I have another reason to make the trip, I'm not going to drive a hundred miles for car wax.

I'll take some pictures when it's done.

Richard

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I'm not going to drive a hundred miles for car wax.
I would have maybe 50 years ago:LOL:
As it happens, while looking for Type 168 LED lamps for my trailer lights, I came across a NAPA in my county that had the polish. So I started that stage today. The polish took out most, but not all of the swirls and defects, so I'll let it cure and give it a second go. Then I'll probably add a coat or two of Meguiar's Black Wax. Weather permitting, it should be done some time next week.

Hey, it passes the pandemic downtime.

I'm also considering re-wiring the trailer if I can find a harness that's made of actual copper wire rather than copper-clad aluminum, which in my opinion, well, sucks, for lack of a better word. I have new marker lights arriving Tuesday, the good Lord and UPS willing, so now would be a good time to do it. But I want copper, not CCA.

Maybe a marine supplier has 4-wire trailer light harnesses that are made of copper wire and that don't suck. I'll check around.

I could, of course, just buy copper wire and fabricate the harness myself. But then I have to splice in the connector, and I'd like to avoid splices if I can. Splices are one of the reasons the harnesses corrode. But if I have to, I'll go that route and just solder the splices, apply some anti-corrosion compound, and cover them with heat-shrink spaghetti.

Richard

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The revised weather forecast showed only a 20 percent chance of rain today, so I repeated the Turtle Wax "polish" stage. Needless to say, it started raining 20 minutes later. I'll probably have to do it a third time. Anyway, this was between finishing the polish and the rain starting:

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the Tyrtle Wax Color Magic "polish." I think it's actually more of a cleaner / wax because the label implies that it's also a top coat. I say "implies" because it's exceedingly vague. It also doesn't cover the scratches and chips as well I'd expect a pigmented polish or wax to. That's not to say it's horrible, but I expected a bit better.

Then again, given the rain, the conditions haven't been the best; so maybe I should withhold judgement.

I'm pleased with the touch-up, though. And it passed some of the corona-boredom.

Richard

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
470 Posts
The revised weather forecast showed only a 20 percent chance of rain today, so I repeated the Turtle Wax "polish" stage. Needless to say, it started raining 20 minutes later. I'll probably have to do it a third time. Anyway, this was between finishing the polish and the rain starting:

View attachment 134143

View attachment 134144

View attachment 134145

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the Tyrtle Wax Color Magic "polish." I think it's actually more of a cleaner / wax because the label implies that it's also a top coat. I say "implies" because it's exceedingly vague. It also doesn't cover the scratches and chips as well I'd expect a pigmented polish or wax to. That's not to say it's horrible, but I expected a bit better.

Then again, given the rain, the conditions haven't been the best; so maybe I should withhold judgement.

I'm pleased with the touch-up, though. And it passed some of the corona-boredom.

Richard
To me if looks like glass Richard! 👍 In fact I can see a red barn reflected like a mirror in the last photo. Your polish seems to work very well for black paint and really makes the car "pop".

My bright silver Soul really doesn't benefit as much—its finish looks pretty much the same whether I polish or simply wash the car. I just end up using Turtle Wax Seal N Shine to protect the surface, which is super easy to apply.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The water is beading, at least.

View attachment 134147

Richard

How long is it expected to last?
Last year I was obsessed with watching videos where automotive polishes and protective products would be compared by applying various chemicals and watching how long the polish/wax would take until they start breaking down their ability to bead or sheet water. I was shocked at how many products, especially very expensive ones, broke down right away with certain chemical cleaners. 😲

Here's an example video, although there hundreds of them on YouTube:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
To me if looks like glass Richard! 👍 In fact I can see a red barn reflected like a mirror in the last photo. Your polish seems to work very well for black paint and really makes the car "pop".

My bright silver Soul really doesn't benefit as much—its finish looks pretty much the same whether I polish or simply wash the car. I just end up using Turtle Wax Seal N Shine to protect the surface, which is super easy to apply.
How long is it expected to last?
Last year I was obsessed with watching videos where automotive polishes and protective products would be compared by applying various chemicals and watching how long the polish/wax would take until they start breaking down their ability to bead or sheet water. I was shocked at how many products, especially very expensive ones, broke down right away with certain chemical cleaners. 😲
Thanks. Like I said, it's something to do.

I've never used the TW Color Magic product before, so I really can't say. The label says very little. I should run over to their forum and read up on it.

Rain takes its toll on any coating because it tends to have a lower pH than well water. Harsh cleaners are even worse. In fact, to prepare for this project I used dishwashing liquid to remove the old wax. It formed a layer on top of the puddle.

The Meguiar's usually makes it through the winter if I do the last treatment in October. By spring there's very little of it left, but enough that the salt washes off easily with just water.

Richard

·
Registered
470 Posts
The Meguiar's usually makes it through the winter if I do the last treatment in October. By spring there's very little of it left, but enough that the salt washes off easily with just water.

I applied the Seal N Shine back in September, haven't even washed the car yet (my bad, plus rainy weather here lately), but I'm still getting small, tight beading of water after a rain. This Seal N Shine stuff really holds up, and you can't beat the under $10 price!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The forecast today calls for no rain until 9:00 p.m., so I pulled a Dawn Patrol mission right after sunrise. I get up early anyway, so why not?

Hopefully the forecast will be correct for a change and the "polish" will have time to cure. Then I'll be able to gauge how well the TW Color Magic product protects. If it wears quickly, I'll go back to using the Meguiar's as a top coat, or maybe try the Seal N Shine product that @Kerig3 uses.

Yes, the neighbors think I'm nuts.

All in all, I'm pleased with the touch-up part. I'm still on the fence about the Color Magic. Time will tell.

The lights for the trailer should also be arriving today. Because I haven't found a harness any better than the one I already have, I think I'll just re-do the connections when I change the marker lights. The rear lights are already soldered and sealed. The marker lights were spliced in at the factory, so I'll re-do those and seal them properly.

Richard

·
Registered
470 Posts
The forecast today calls for no rain until 9:00 p.m., so I pulled a Dawn Patrol mission right after sunrise. I get up early anyway, so why not?

Hopefully the forecast will be correct for a change and the "polish" will have time to cure. Then I'll be able to gauge how well the TW Color Magic product protects. If it wears quickly, I'll go back to using the Meguiar's as a top coat, or maybe try the Seal B Shine product that @Kerig3 uses.

View attachment 134153

View attachment 134154

View attachment 134155

Yes, the neighbors think I'm nuts.

All in all, I'm pleased with the touch-up part. I'm still on the fence about the Color Magic. Time will tell.

The lights for the trailer should also be arriving today. Because I haven't found a harness any better than the one I already have, I think I'll just re-do the connections when I change the marker lights. The rear lights are already soldered and sealed. The marker lights were spliced in at the factory, so I'll re-do those and seal them properly.

Richard

Looks great Richard! 👍
Was the Color Magic easy to apply and buff in? At my age, ease of application becomes my #1 priority with any wax/polish. My days of Karate Kid level of wax on, wax off are long gone. 😉

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Looks great Richard! 👍
Was the Color Magic easy to apply and buff in? At my age, ease of application becomes my #1 priority with any wax/polish. My days of Karate Kid level of wax on, wax off are long gone. 😉
It's a little tougher than most, both on but especially off, but not back-breaking. It also takes quite a bit longer than most products do to glaze over. I did the plastic trim in between wax on / wax off to let it dry some more. The more you let it dry, the easier it is to remove.

Wax on / plastic trim / wax off took me about two hours. And so far it hasn't rained. 😁

Richard

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,902 Posts
Good thing I started at dawn because the rain arrived three and a half hours early! By starting when I did, the polish got 9.5 hours to cure. That should be enough.

Nice beads, too:

View attachment 134160

Richard
If I didn't know you had just waxed the Soul, I'm not sure I would have know what the photo is.

Tadpoles rising?
Black rocks on a shore?
Oil spill?

Great photography Richard! Wallpaper material :D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If I didn't know you had just waxed the Soul, I'm not sure I would have know what the photo is.

Tadpoles rising?
Black rocks on a shore?
Oil spill?

Great photography Richard! Wallpaper material :D
Thanks. I already submitted it to a stock photo company I use and occasionally sell through.

The funny thing is that the OnePlus 7t is not known for it's camera quality. I've always thought it was pretty decent.

Richard

1301 - 1320 of 1324 Posts