Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

What did you do to your Gen II today: A social thread

277K views 2K replies 231 participants last post by  jcaz2019SoulEV 
Installed my winter rims and tires and it is like I am driving a different car. Went down to 17" on the winters 215x55x17" versus 235x45x18" it is amazing the difference and this on winter tires.

Pat.
Different in what way?

...One thing I do wish is that 3M would make some black (normal) and red (reflective) tape.

I still need to cut some red reflective and add it to the edges of the doors and tail gate to make those more visible if they are open at night. I still can't believe that cars come off the line without reflectors to show if a door is open to privde what little safety margin can be gained.
Your post reminded me of seeing some warning tape on ebay sometime back - Ah found it, so available in a variety of colors including red:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...ar+Door+Open+Sticker+Reflective+Tape&_sacat=0

Added extensions onto the KIA splashguards (only did the front for now) similar to what others here have done.

Other posts

https://www.kiasoulforums.com/153-soul-accessories-gen-2/108826-kia-mud-guards.html

https://www.kiasoulforums.com/26-so...21-extended-mud-guards-installed-14-soul.html

https://www.kia-forums.com/2016-sorento/217897-longer-mud-flaps.html

Not sure they are making any difference with dirt on the sides of the car. Have had them on for a week.

I positioned the extensions to drop down fairly low (to about 3 inches above the road surface) and they extend out to the side about an extra quarter inch (at the top of the KIA splash guard).

Instead of screwing mine to the KIA splash guards (and thus the car) I attached them with exterior grade velcro - saw this method mentioned in some motorcycle forums I came across while researching different ways for attaching splash guards.

...One of them is now covering my Soul's driver-side floor. There was an orange caution tag affixed to the Soul's original driver side floor mat. It cautioned against placing a floor mat over the Soul's floor mat. I felt compelled to remove the Soul floor mat. What is the risk of putting one floor mat over another on the driver's side?
With the Soul accelerator pedal being attached to the floor I assume the concern is that a floor mat could slide forward and keep the accelerator partially pressed down even though the driver had lifted their foot off of it.

When I got my KIA Soul I decided to reuse a fitted rubber mat from my wrecked Honda Accord. The mat retaining holes didn't match up of course with KIA's mat retaining hooks so to be on the safe side I secured the mat a different way so that it wouldn't work its way forward to the accelerator.

... November of last year the shop acquired a new fuel system service machine targeting GDI top end service....This system is to help maintain the valve clean , but you have to do it as a regular scheduled maintenance service . That's it.
How much is the shop charging for this service?

And how often is "regular scheduled" - every 12k miles?

TosenR , the fee is $215.00. Certain guidelines are used in deciding when to recommend this service. No two cars are driven and maintained in the same manner. Cars on the low mileage (5000 to under 10000 miles per year ) spectrum , every 2 to 3 years . Cars that have average or more (10000 or more per year) spectrum at 30,000 plus miles between service.
Thanks Bendpak6400

Took the time to perform a much needed exterior detail on the Soul. For 30+ years, I have always used Meguiar's products....

"The Process:"
Way more motivation than I have in me. The results do look nice though. I'm doing good if I wax my car a couple times a year.

I'm still new to using Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Car Wax - from having used Nu Finish car polish for several years (on a different car) but Nu Finish and all the black plastic trim on the KIA Soul don't like each other.

I'm pleased with how long Meguiars Ultimate has lasted (how long it is still causing water to bead), but unfortunately it seems the fumes made me really dizzy (having the garage door up and the back door open didn't provide enough ventilation). I think I will buy it again but will have to apply it outside.

Btw I really like the black paint along the edge of the roof, looks good with the body paint and in addition it balances out the lower body black trim. Like the rims too.

Washed and waxed my Kia Soul.

For wax/polish I'm using Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. I like that I in addition to the painted body of the car, I can also apply it to all the black plastic body trim on my model of Soul.

... Put it in this morning, and absolutely love it! ...
Unboxing and installation photos: ... Even with the lid forward, it did not wiggle or tip....
Thanks for posting all the photos_It looks good. Faster/easier to install than replacing the whole center console.

Installed anti-theft screws on my license plate. Have never had a license plate stolen though. Now if I can keep from losing the special allen wrench :)

The Bug Shield:
Thanks.

The rock guard in the link doesn't appear to me to show a cut out for the KIA hood badge - does yours have a cut out or did you place a KIA badge on top of it?

In addition to adding an armrest center console to my stick-shift KIA Soul, I also replaced one of the side mirrors.

Several weeks ago I totally misjudged how much clearance I had to back into my garage and whacked one of the side mirrors good, hard enough to crack the housing.

After snapping pieces back together that had popped loose the mirror still worked and eventually I was able to pull a replacement off of a junk KIA Soul. Quite easy to remove and replace.

Washed it - been awhile. Now have rest of today and tomorrow to make time to wax it. And hopefully detail / clean up the inside some.

Changed my full synthetic at 4k on my 2016 base manual. Looked as clean as when it was put in.
Wow. In the time I had my 2014 base manual (bought it used) the oil gets dark fast and is about black when changed around 3K.

I assume the previous owner used conventional oil. I started off using full sythetic Penzoil Platinum 5W-20, then 5W-30 and now Kirkland 5W-30 with the current oil change.

...but oil still gets dark quick. ...
I noticed right away as it seemed to be much more pronounced much sooner than with my previous vehicles.

Because the oil drain plug (on the 1.6l) is stupidly (in my opinion) on the front of the oil pan, I thought after the first oil change that maybe the oil darkening was due to residual conventional oil left behind that didn't drain out. But after several oil changes that can't be the case.

I even briefly considered dropping the oil pan to clean the inside of but eventually decided against it as I didn't want to risk potential issues with the oil pan gasket which was working perfectly.