Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Hey Fl, I hadn't heard of that either until I read your post. I have since seen it demonstrated on The Topher (jump to 9:55). Having the ability to slip that IVT drive chain further down to mimic a 7th & 8th gear to drop RPMs is brilliant.
That would be an advantage over the 6 speed manual gearbox. In my Gen2 manual I often wish there was something beyond 6th gear on those highway drives. At 60 mph I'm spinning 2400 rpms & at 70 about 3000. I feel 5th & 6th are just too close together.

Kudos to Kia for addressing that in the IVT. Besides the chain, this makes 2 things I like about the IVT. For now I'm still a gear head but may be softening a bit :)
Geo, you know much I ranted about CVTs in general before, however after experiencing the IVT in the soul I have changed my opinion. I have to say I like it a lot and don't miss the regular auto tranny a bit.

Pat.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Geo, you know much I ranted about CVTs in general before, however after experiencing the IVT in the soul I have changed my opinion. I have to say I like it a lot and don't miss the regular auto tranny a bit.

Pat.
Thanks Pat. I have to admit that I've been pleasantly surprised to see how many of the long time forum members who've upgraded to Gen3 are saying good things about the IVT.

I'm softening a bit and if this relatively new chain driven CVT holds up well over the next couple (few) years, I may be eyeing one.

I know for a fact if it passed your critical eye, it would be good enough for me :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I joined the unlimited wash club at the car wash on the way home, so I can just pull in for a quick wash anytime I want on the way home from work. It's not exciting but it should help keep my car clean :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Silver carbon fiber vinyl wrapped the hood on a 2016 exclaim, easy to do and I like the looks, next up is wind deflector and performance chip

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Yesterday I did a full Bumper to Bumper hand wash of my little Jem.

I thoroughly cleaned out the inside and then went under the hood for a good cleanup.

Then after cleaning the tires and wheels, I used Maguire's Hot Shine to make them shine.
I got rid of those nerdly looking plastic wheel covers at the last Oil Change. The Black wheels and Chrome lug nuts look pretty good....at least till I find the Wheel Covers I want.

Tomorrow, I go to my KIA Dealer for my second Oil Change, and a tire rotation. We're expecting nice weather, so that should be a fun day.

Happy Veteran's Day, Y'all!

:cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Installed Thinkware F70 Dashcam over the weekend (moved from my 17 Soul !). Found out the placement was picking up the plastic housing from the lane keep cam, so I removed the mount and have a new one on the way. Wiring is in place and was tested working.

Also did a little digging on the headlight bulbs and how to replace. Looks like for the bulbs on the 2020 EX you have to remove the wheel well liner (have some removal tools on the way) for easy access. Might be possible from the engine bay, you can see the caps, but it looks like it's going to be a lot harder. For the fogs, I was able to see there is a QR code stamped on a sticker on the housing that says "Tool", so it might require a specific tool to remove the housing/bulb. Will investigate further before I order the bulbs I'm looking at.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Today, I went to my dealer for my second Oil & Filter change. Also, a tire rotation. During their 21 point inspection a piece of metal was found in the sidewall of my R/R tire. (they called it a Staple) Since it involved the sidewall, they could not repair it, but with just one phone call, they got authorization to replace the tire with a new one. (Tire Warranty).
So I'm a happy camper, coming home with a brand new tire on my car. With the rotation, that new tire is on the R/F.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Today, I went to my dealer for my second Oil & Filter change. Also, a tire rotation. During their 21 point inspection a piece of metal was found in the sidewall of my R/R tire. (they called it a Staple) Since it involved the sidewall, they could not repair it, but with just one phone call, they got authorization to replace the tire with a new one. (Tire Warranty).
So I'm a happy camper, coming home with a brand new tire on my car. With the rotation, that new tire is on the R/F.

View attachment 132714
New tire on the right front. The preferred NASCAR 1 tire change.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
The new tire would have been on the RR, in a Repair Only , but with the rotation, it wound up on the RF.

On the LF, is the tire that was on the LR, with very little wear on it. So the two front tires are a pretty good match.
The car drives good and steers perfectly.

Happy Holidays

·
Registered
32 Posts
Today I drove my Soul for the first time in snow. Uh, let's just say I'm glad I kept my ancient station wagon for these occasions. It was kind of a nail-biter in the Soul.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Today I drove my Soul for the first time in snow. Uh, let's just say I'm glad I kept my ancient station wagon for these occasions. It was kind of a nail-biter in the Soul.
What tires do you have on the Soul? We had General Altimax RT43s put on our 2020 LX when we bought it. Jane has driven it twice now on hilly icy/snowy roads (SW WI) and says it's fine, pretty much like our Gen 2 Soul after we did that tire swap on it at first snow. I haven't had the 2020 out in slop yet. The Nexens on the 2015 were ghastly in snow. My guess was that the Hankook Kinergy that came on the 2020 LX would have been somewhat better but the RT43s way better yet and our dealership was very accommodating about the swap. Given that, I understand tanks. My wood vans are 1990 vintage Dodge Caravans with Winterforces all around. Snow, mud, alfalfa, hills, field roads no problem. Highways, not so much. The oldest one has an 8 mi 35 mph leash on it:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 235 45r18 tires. My guess is the 18" wheels are the problem but I don't really want to spend the money on new wheels. Altho I'm not a huge fan of the "flower" design of my wheels so maybe I'd think about it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 235 45r18 tires. My guess is the 18" wheels are the problem but I don't really want to spend the money on new wheels. Altho I'm not a huge fan of the "flower" design of my wheels so maybe I'd think about it.
That's a lot of width in snow for a car as light as the Soul. I don't know where you are but if winters are looong like ours why not pick up a set of used 16" or 17" rims and run inexpensive genuine snows like the winterforce on them? Save the pretties for summer. The Kia bolt pattern (5x114.3), hub diameter (67.1), and offset (38 to 55mm) is very common so there are usually quite a few that would fit on CL and you could drop at least to a width of 205. Tire availability gets sketchy narrower than that.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
WOW... Price is Right... And No TAX & Free Shipping...<:)) AMBER runs them on her car....<:))

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
This morning, I helped my little gal, Jem, celebrate her 6000 mile anniversary, by buying her a new gadget.
My dealer already gave her a new tire, to replace one that had a staple in it. So I got her something to kind of go along with that. That all happened on Tuesday when I took her into my KIA Dealer for her second oil and filter change + Tire Rotation. (6000 miles)

Now it won't be so hard for me to keep all four of her tires at the same PSI.
I almost choked on the Brand Name of the Guage, but that's OK, I guess. It's what Auto Zone sells.

Y'all have a great Thanksgiving now, Y'hear?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
101 - 120 of 147 Posts