Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

81 - 100 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
I'm still just enjoying the heck out of my 2020 Soul LX. And still playing with different settings on the IVT.
Last Monday I had a call from a friend, telling me that he needed to get down to Clearwater, FL. ASAP.
I said I'd do that for him. It was my first real Road Trip.
It was already dark before I got on I-75 southbound, and traffic was light so I made the trip at 80mph for the most part.

Coming back, it was around midnight and traffic on I-75 was really light. So I set the Cruise Control at 80mph and the gear selector lever was in the "D" setting. My Scan Gauge II, was registering about 27 mpg.
I put the selector lever in Manual Mode and bumped the IVT up into 8th Gear. The MPG went up to 31 mpg, still at 80 mph in cruise control.
Still just testing, I slowed down to 75 mph, while still in 8th Gear. My MPG jumped up to almost 40 mpg.

It was an interesting trip, and just proved what I pretty much already knew, , , that the 2020 Soul is capable of some really good MPG. In just a few more miles, I'll be ready for my Second Oil Change.
How time flies when you're having fun!

AS we've discussed in the past, in anticipation of my next oil change, I put a bottle of "Techron" in my gas tank yesterday. It will have a chance to do its thing, before I get my next oil change.

Cheers Mates! Have fun!
:cool:
Good job FL getting the Techron run through the tank before your next oil change.

Couple of questions:

1. When you were going 80mph, do you recall what the RPM's were at?
2. What weight of oil are you going to use on the next oil change? 5w-20 or 5w-30 or something else?

Thanks bud!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Geo,
In 8th gear, even at 80 mph, the tach shows under 2k rpm. It's just loafing along. (and saving fuel)

MPG increased drastically, when I slowed down to 75 mph. But that's nothing new. We've discussed that many times over the past 7 years that I've been on the forums. i.e. the faster you go the less MPG you get.

The dealer does my oil changes, and I believe they use a Dino/Synth Blend at 5W20. They use what they want to use and I really have NO input on that. I do know for a fact that they use the same KIA brand and part # Oil Filter that I've used since 2012. On my last oil change, I gave them a new filter that I had bought for my 2012 Soul, and they used that one, and gave me a new one to replace it. I'll repeat that trick on my next oil change, coming up in about a week.
I'm just a few miles away for my second oil change, FREE, at the dealer, and I'll give them the oil filter I have and ask them to put it on the engine.
I actually like changing my own oil, but since I have a maintenance contract that covers oil changes and tire rotations for the next six years, I probably won't be doing any more oil changes or tire rotations here at home.

Happy Halloween!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Geo,
In 8th gear, even at 80 mph, the tach shows under 2k rpm. It's just loafing along. (and saving fuel)

MPG increased drastically, when I slowed down to 75 mph. But that's nothing new. We've discussed that many times over the past 7 years that I've been on the forums. i.e. the faster you go the less MPG you get.

The dealer does my oil changes, and I believe they use a Dino/Synth Blend at 5W20. They use what they want to use and I really have NO input on that. I do know for a fact that they use the same KIA brand and part # Oil Filter that I've used since 2012. On my last oil change, I gave them a new filter that I had bought for my 2012 Soul, and they used that one, and gave me a new one to replace it. I'll repeat that trick on my next oil change, coming up in about a week.
I'm just a few miles away for my second oil change, FREE, at the dealer, and I'll give them the oil filter I have and ask them to put it on the engine.
I actually like changing my own oil, but since I have a maintenance contract that covers oil changes and tire rotations for the next six years, I probably won't be doing any more oil changes or tire rotations here at home.

Happy Halloween!
I was reading this from JD Power. I was curious how Gen3 tells you it's in "8th" gear? Is there a dash display? Thanks!

Optional in the LX and standard with all but the GT-Line Turbo is a new continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) with six programmed-in simulated gearchanges that help prevent annoying engine droning under some driving conditions such as extended acceleration during freeway merging or vehicle overtaking.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I was reading this from JD Power. I was curious how Gen3 tells you it's in "8th" gear? Is there a dash display? Thanks!

Optional in the LX and standard with all but the GT-Line Turbo is a new continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) with six programmed-in simulated gearchanges that help prevent annoying engine droning under some driving conditions such as extended acceleration during freeway merging or vehicle overtaking.
Put the IVT in D. Move the shift lever to the left. The fixed ratio currently being used will appear on the digital speedometer display. You can then shift up or down through the available fixed ratios. There are 8 of them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What did i do? Took my gf to chuck olsen kia for a new car. Got a Rio S. Then the dealer called my 1-million soul a “Unicorn I’d love have for display in my show room”. A Unicorn... only 2000 of them.. but still.... Unicorn.... Really?

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
What did i do? Took my gf to chuck olsen kia for a new car. Got a Rio S. Then the dealer called my 1-million soul a “Unicorn I’d love have for display in my show room”. A Unicorn... only 2000 of them.. but still.... Unicorn.... Really?
Haha. They said the same thing about the Seahawks Special Edition they made up of a Gen2 Soul. It sat unsold on the lot for a couple of years. I've never seen it out on the road anywhere.

Congrats on the Rio S for the gf. They are great little cars and she'll get many years out of it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Haha. They said the same thing about the Seahawks Special Edition they made up of a Gen2 Soul. It sat unsold on the lot for a couple of years. I've never seen it out on the road anywhere.

Congrats on the Rio S for the gf. They are great little cars and she'll get many years out of it.

Cheers!
Chuck olsen kia did that? I couldnt see kia themselves comission one like that. The one million is that unique. She likes the rio, i cant drive it because its too short. I have only seen two other one mils running around, but no seahawks gen 2. Prolly asked too much for it, never sold, so they removed the custom kit and resold it plain jane.. fascinating.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Chuck olsen kia did that? I couldnt see kia themselves comission one like that. The one million is that unique. She likes the rio, i cant drive it because its too short. I have only seen two other one mils running around, but no seahawks gen 2. Prolly asked too much for it, never sold, so they removed the custom kit and resold it plain jane.. fascinating.
Edit... i found pics of it from 2015. I can see why no one wanted it.....

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
I wonder if they kitted out the interior in any special way
I don't think so. I saw it in their showroom and subsequently the corner lot. Anything Seahawky was stick-on. No special features. I'd worry about getting keyed alot by non-Hawk fanatics :)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Who asked if there was a dashboard indication of what gear the IVT is in at any moment?
Here's a pic of it in 8th Gear (Overdrive).

Notice, the "8" in the lower left hand corner of the digital display. This pic was taken at 59 mph, under Cruise Control.

The IVT won't go there by itself. It requires the driver to put the Gear Shift lever in 'Manual' mode and then push the lever forward, repeatedly, till the display shows "8". That only works, above 45 mph.

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Who asked if there was a dashboard indication of what gear the IVT is in at any moment?
Here's a pic of it in 8th Gear (Overdrive).
View attachment 132615

Notice, the "8" in the lower left hand corner of the digital display. This pic was taken at 59 mph, under Cruise Control.

The IVT won't go there by itself. It requires the driver to put the Gear Shift lever in 'Manual' mode and then push the lever forward, repeatedly, till the display shows "8". That only works, above 45 mph.

Cheers Mates!
That was me Fl. That is awesome that you can control it manually to "8th" & run at low rpms. Thanks for snapping the photo. I wasn't sure on Gen3 how the display worked.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
screwed that up...if you're taking pictures WHO'S DRIVING!!! LOL!
User tip Vahamstah, if you make an error in a post, you can go back and change the post. Look at the first line of the post, you'll see the post#, time, and then the word "Edit"

Click on Edit and you can update your post instead of making a new one. I notice typo's in my posts all the time & luckily for a day or two you can go back and fix (edit) them :)

All the best!!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I've lost a lot in 76 years, but I still have two fully functional arms/hands. I can click the camera with my right hand while I steer the car with the left.
And yes, I do know how to knee steer too. lol My Soul is so stable that a lot of steering is not required on a nice flat, straight road.
Does that answer the question?
:cool:
PS: I didn't read about 8th gear anywhere, , , I just found it by personal examination of the shifter, and what all I could do with it....like downshifting when coming off of the Interstate. That worked just fine on my Gen-1 too.
First time I mentioned 8th gear here, I was basically called a Liar, and told that the Soul IVT does not have an 8th gear.
That prompted me to take that picture. It's definitely an Overdrive Gear though. Not for passing or mountain climbing.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
PS: I didn't read about 8th gear anywhere, , , I just found it by personal examination of the shifter, and what all I could do with it....like downshifting when coming off of the Interstate. That worked just fine on my Gen-1 too.
First time I mentioned 8th gear here, I was basically called a Liar, and told that the Soul IVT does not have an 8th gear.
That prompted me to take that picture. It's definitely an Overdrive Gear though. Not for passing or mountain climbing.
Hey Fl, I hadn't heard of that either until I read your post. I have since seen it demonstrated on The Topher (jump to 9:55). Having the ability to slip that IVT drive chain further down to mimic a 7th & 8th gear to drop RPMs is brilliant.
That would be an advantage over the 6 speed manual gearbox. In my Gen2 manual I often wish there was something beyond 6th gear on those highway drives. At 60 mph I'm spinning 2400 rpms & at 70 about 3000. I feel 5th & 6th are just too close together.

Kudos to Kia for addressing that in the IVT. Besides the chain, this makes 2 things I like about the IVT. For now I'm still a gear head but may be softening a bit :)

81 - 100 of 150 Posts