Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
761 - 780 of 792 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #762 ·
OK, I promised Great News.
The best news is, that I'm still alive and well, after getting in the middle of a four car pileup on the highway, last Saturday. I was hit from behind by a big Chevy SUV, and that forced me into another car. So my little Jem received damage in both the back and front. She was a tough little girl, and I drove her home.
I took my Jem to a Damage Repair shop for an estimate, and they said that the repairs, if they could even be done, would exceed the replacement price of the car.
Here is what the rear end of my Soul looked like, after the accident.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

I had already scheduled an ECC update, so on Christmas Eve I drove down to my Kia Dealer, to get
the update. The head salesman saw my car and suggested that he could help me. Hey, I'm all about
getting all the help I can get. Eh?
It so happened, that they had another 2020 Soul LX, basically just like mine, sitting on the lot.
But unlike mine, it had very low mileage, only 7500 miles. It's previous owner had traded it in on TWO
new KIA's. I assume that was one for him and one for his wife. It is also Silver, my second choice for a Kia Soul color. So to keep this Christmas Story short.....three hours later I drove home in a new-to-me 2020 Soul LX, almost an exact duplicate of my Jem.
Here's that new Soul, that for now, I'm calling "Jem II".
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate

For the most part, she's still 99% pure stock. I have added, my K&N Air cleaner, steering wheel cover, and seat belt extender. On Monday, these OEM wheels and tires, will be replaced by the four new, and wider, tires from my old Soul.
I had her out on I-75 today, and just like Jem, she runs real good.

Well, that's my Christmas Story. I hope you've all had a good Christmas, and I want to wish you all a very Happy New Year!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
706 Posts
You drove your gem to the dealer with it all smashed up? Did they take it as a trade or did your insurance company total it? That sucks you got into an accident, but glad you’re ok.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #764 ·
That was so amazing, the crash messed up her good looks, but not her drive-ability. She still ran, and every system still worked. The rear driver side door was jammed shut, but the Gas Filler door, still worked! As did the other three doors. Amazing little car! She took a licking, but kept on ticking!
Believe me, I'm having withdrawal pains. It was like loosing a family member, right before Christmas.
I'm now driving a beautiful new Soul (well, new to me), but I still feel like I'm driving someone else's car,
and not my own. It will take time, to make her my own. The shock of the whole thing has not worn off yet.
And, I still have to deal with up to three insurance companies, since I was #3 in the chain reaction.

Font Poster Art Event Billboard

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #765 ·
Yesterday, I took my new Soul back to the dealer for a 'Tire/Wheel swap' and to pick up some accessories that I had previously forgot. They took my extra wide tires/wheels off of my old Soul and transferred them over to my New Soul. They even took off the plastic Nose Guard, off my old Soul, and put it inside my new Soul. I had not asked for that, and certainly didn't expect it.
I may or may not put that on my new car.
But what I did today, kind of finished off the wheels.
First I washed the wheels, since they had not been washed in quite a while and were looking pretty grungy. Then when they were nice and dry, I spray painted the hubs and lug nuts.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Then I installed the new wheel covers, that I bought today at 'Auto Zone'.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

They are Silver and Black, with the Silver matching the color of the car, and the black
matching the wheels and tires. I still have not applied any Tire Shine yet.

I have also installed my padded arm rests, seat belt extenders, steering wheel cover and my
Scan Gauge II. She's looking more and more like MY CAR.

Here's wishing y'all a very Happy New Year!

·
Registered
677 Posts
4.2 quarts of new Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 Full Synthetic oil, new drain plug crush gasket, and a new Kia oil filter. Wash and wax. Last warm today (60*F) before cold snap and 30s starting tomorrow.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #767 ·
Brrr! When we see 30's here in FL, it's only for a few hours in the early morning, and as soon as the sun comes up, we're back on the rise.

As I do with each new car, I've set up a new Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my fuel consumption, miles, and any maintenance. It even calculates my cost per mile on each tank of gas.
Then I threw away 2.5 yrs of gas receipts.

On a 55 mile road trip today, my average MPG was 35. That's less that I would normally get on my last Soul, where I was used to getting somewhere in the mid forties. So I guess she needs a little more Breaking In. (Hammer down, pedal to the metal, balls to the wall, etc.)

Another bottle of "Techron" probably wouldn't hurt either.

Happy 2022 Everyone!
:cool:

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
827 Posts
And, I still have to deal with up to three insurance companies, since I was #3 in the chain reaction
Sadly that is what happens when a state only requires a minimum of 10K property damage insurance. You and your ins company wind up getting screwed. With the cost of vehicles today, 10K coverage seems like a crime. Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #769 ·
I know....I need a good Accident Attorney, but, I can't afford one of those either. So yes, I'm screwed!
Cheers!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #771 ·
I already saw one of those, but they make their money off of peoples injuries. I'm sore but not really injured. I've been hurt worse by falling in my own bedroom. At the accident scene, I refused any medical attention. So, I really don't qualify for an accident attorney. Nice try!
I'm really OK, and my only problem is paying for this new car.
I could sure use a donation.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I already saw one of those, but they make their money off of peoples injuries. I'm sore but not really injured. I've been hurt worse by falling in my own bedroom. At the accident scene, I refused any medical attention. So, I really don't qualify for an accident attorney. Nice try!
I'm really OK, and my only problem is paying for this new car.
I could sure use a donation.
Didn't you get a settlement from the wrecked one?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #773 ·
You have to be kidding!

The adjuster from my own Ins. Co. has not even contacted me yet. If I ever get anything, it may be months away. This is also a "NO FAULT" state, so I can't even make a claim against the Ins. Co. of the gal who started the accident.

2022 is not starting out good for me.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #774 ·
On a more positive note....I went to my Window Tinter today and got the two front windows on my new Soul, tinted with Legal Tint. It's a little bit lighter than the OEM tint on the back windows. Looks good!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #775 ·
Today I took a little road trip, 43 miles actually, in my new Soul and she gave me 42 mpg (average).
That means that at times, she was doing a lot more than that. I think maybe she's getting used to me.
I used all the tricks at my disposal...P&G, 8th Gear (overdrive) and coasting down hills, in Neutral.
It's really quite nice, watching that Average MPG display going up, one tenth at a time.
I just about took my whole trip today, on just one gallon of gas. At least, it's nice to think of it that way. :)

I also found out today that clean used Souls, are selling for more than new price. I must admit, that's
kind of hard to wrap my mind around. So buying a new Soul today, is actually an investment, not just a purchase. If, you can find one. I know where there are two of them.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #776 ·
Today, I filled up my gas tank for the second time since I got my new 2020 Soul LX. I stopped in at my favorite Shell gas station and got my normal $.10 per gallon discount. When I ran the numbers through my new Excel Spreadsheet, it came up that my actual MPG for that tank full, was 35.? MPG. That's one of the highest numbers I've seen for a 2020 Soul. (2.0 L engine and IVT)

That included a lot of city/urban driving with a lot of stop lights and slow moving traffic.

Here's wishing y'all a very good 2022.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #777 · (Edited)
I'm still breaking in my new (slightly used) 2020 Soul, that I'm calling Jem II.
On a little 25.5 mile road trip, yesterday, I was trying to drive for best MPG, and she gave me an average of 41.6 mpg for the trip. Since that was the "Average", that means that at times, she was doing much better than that. Averages can be very misleading. Along that trip was six stop lights, and at least three of them were RED when I got there. Just one STOP light can really hurt an average mpg.

Cheers mates! Happy 2022!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #778 ·
Today, on my way into town, I pulled out onto a virtually empty highway. WOW, that don't happen too often. So I took the opportunity to, "Blow the cobs out" so to speak.
I put the AT gear shift lever in Manual and put the hammer down! And, I let her hit the rev-limiter in the first three gears. She was up to 80 mph in nothing flat, and in a 55 mph zone too! Yikes!
So, I had to slow down.
Then I got out on I-75, where the light traffic was running at 80+ mph. Even some of the Big Rigs were doing 80. That adds a whole new meaning to the term, "Defensive Driving". Eh?

My new Jem II, is a lot like my old Jem I, in that she loves to RUN.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #779 ·
Today, TGIF Day, I took Jem II out for her longest road trip, since I got her. It was 95.4 miles, and the best Average MPG I saw for the day was 42.4 MPG on the first leg of the trip, over a two lane highway at an average of 55 mph. All the averages I witnessed for the day, from point to point, were all over 40 MPG.
Jem II is turning out to be a great little road machine.
I found that by careful driving and using my P&G technique, I can get better MPG with the IVT in "D" and the cruise control OFF. It may be less relaxing, but pays dividends, in the long run.

P&G (Pulse & Glide) is a technique that I've used for so many years, that I don't really think about it any more. I used it, even before I knew there was a name for it. I first learned about that (name) on the MPG forum.

Happy Trails Mates!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #780 · (Edited)
Today I took another little road trip, and got average mpg's in the mid to high 30's. I wasn't really driving for best economy. It was a truly GREAT day to be out and about, with narry a cloud in sight.
But, when I left home this morning, the outside temp was chilly 29 degrees F.
However, within three blocks, when I first hit the blacktop, I was already getting HEAT! And, by the time I drove the two miles out to the highway, I was getting HOT heat, and I had to back the temp control down to 50% and back the blower down to #2.

I did fill up the gas tank at my favorite Shell station today, and I got a $.20 per gallon discount. And they email me the receipt, just in case I loose the printed pump receipt. What's not to like about that?

Jem II is turning out to be a real sweetie. I'm getting familiar with her, and she seems to be getting used to me. We both have our little idiosyncrasies, but we're getting used to each other. I think I'll keep her!

Y'all have a great 2022 now, Y'hear?

761 - 780 of 792 Posts