Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
741 - 760 of 792 Posts

·
Registered
2012+ 2.0L W/Manual trans.
712 Posts
I'm thinking the cabin air filter is mostly intended to keep dust and dirt out of you fan and vent mechanism rather than your lungs.
With all of the opening and closing of doors and windows, I don't see how an 8" square filter is gonna improve cabin air quality very much.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #742 ·
My SW at KIA quoted me $55 for a genuine KIA Cabin Air Filter. That's some dang expensive paper!!!

I think the FRAM Tru Flow that I wound up with cost me around $20. For anyone with Allergies, and/or other breathing problems, the better the filter, the happier the driver and/or passenger. And I know several people with severe breathing problems. They could surely benefit from a really GOOD filter.
Yes, changing the filter several times a year, is no big deal, if you can get them at a decent price.

Here's wishing y'all a very Happy Thanksgiving.
Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Automotive lighting

·
Banned
2020 GT-White
351 Posts
Me and my 2 sons have pretty bad allergies. Truthfully, I notice no difference from our old cars that had no filter and the new ones that do......I would rather not have one....Mice and other critters love cabin filters for nesting...How in the fk they find it and get there..I have no Idea......I have had it happen 2 x to me....one x it was not pretty....the little focker got trapped in the recirculate door and died....You can not imagine the smell...it took me weeks to get it out.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #744 ·
You have my sympathy!
But, the difference between no filter and a paper filter would only be how much leaves, twigs and sand actually get into your car.
I just do the best I can, with what I have to do with. This has been a really bad year for pollen and other pollutants.
I just want the best filtration I can get.

:cool:

·
Banned
2020 GT-White
351 Posts
Depends on your environment..Critters aside....I could go 3 years and the filter still look good. That goes for my engine Air filter too.....which is much more important to me

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #746 ·
I understand. I'm glad you don't have breathing problems, because it ain't no fun! The anti-histamines I've taken in my 78 years, would fill a dump truck. And the money I've spent, would buy one too. ;)

So I'm trying out the fairly new FRAM TruFlow cabin air filter, and so far, so good. (bought at Walmart)
I'm also concerned about my engine air filter. I service my K&N air filter about once a month, weather permitting, because I like to sun-dry the filter after washing it.

Happy Holidays, Y'all,
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #747 ·
Addendum:
One thing I wanted to mention, is, that as I was driving into Ocala over the past few days, I've noticed that several of the Gas Stations have backed off of the $3.39 per gallon price. I saw gas as low as $3.11.
I still go to Shell, where I get a $.10 per gal discount, when I use my Shell Mastercard. And they even email me my receipt.
And, it gives me good MPG....like 42.5 MPG on my trip down to Inverness on Friday.

I'll be so happy, when the US is energy independent again.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #748 ·
I couldn't resist that $3.11 price. So yesterday, I did stop by Walmart and filled up the tank with that $3.11 gas. My little girl runs just fine on it. It's still cheaper than the $3.29 Shell gas, even with the $.10 per gal discount, that I get with my Shell Mastercard.
So, going in to Ocala this morning, for a blood draw at Lab Corp, my girl was cruising I-75 (high speed lane) at 90 mph. Easy peasy! Just keeping up with traffic. It was a FAST road today.
I don't know where they get this "trucker Shortage" stuff, when I-75 is packed with trucks. I never saw so many! NO shortage here!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #749 ·
As I've mentioned before, I like to occasionally "Blow the cobs out" as my dad used to call it.
So today, on my way to town on I-75 I took advantage of the FAST traffic, to kick my little Soul up to
100 MPH for a short time. The average speed in the high speed lane this morning was 80+ MPG.
I was even able to run at 90 MPH for a couple of miles, before the hole I was in, closed up.
I wouldn't do any of that, if my car didn't seem to just LOVE it! She runs as smooth at 90 as she does at 40. And after a good run, she just seems to purrrrrrrr.
Even the big trucks were doing 80 today, and there were plenty of them. They looked like a freight train going down the road.
Anyone who thinks we have a trucker shortage, needs to just watch I-75 here in FL, for a while.
There's NO shortage here!
Happy Holidays, Mates,

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #750 ·
Actually, it was yesterday, but when I drove by the Walmart/Murphys Gas station, I was shocked, dismayed and perplexed!
The Gas Price posted was only $2.92 cents. Then when I drove by a few hours later, it was only $2.89.
The Circle K station just down the road a ways, was also at $2.92. It was reminiscent of the old Gas Wars we used to have, back in Iowa, in the 50's.
Regardless of the cause, I like it. Only problem was that I didn't need gas yesterday.;)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #751 ·
So, what did I do for my Soul today?
Well, I drove the crap out of her, as I do almost every day. 90 mph on I-75 to start with.

But I did notice that Walmart had regular gas for $2.87 per gallon, today. Seems like every day, they drop the per-gallon price by another couple of cents. I really sympathize with those poor guys out in California.
My only advise is, to move to Florida.

We've got no mandates, no state income tax, and low gas prices. What's not to love. And great weather too. Y'all come on down!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #752 ·
Well, tomorrow is Christmas Eve, but my dealer is open till noon. So I've got an appointment to get the second half of the Oil Ring recall done. That's the software update to the ECC.

Merry Christmas, Y'all!

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul GT-Line
24 Posts
My daughter and I did an oil change with OEM filter and Pennzoil Platinum 5w20. I installed a K&N cabin filter. We then installed a 3rd brake light flasher from coupeconcepts.com

Reactions: Junk2.0

·
Banned
2020 GT-White
351 Posts
My daughter and I did an oil change with OEM filter and Pennzoil Platinum 5w20. I installed a K&N cabin filter. We then installed a 3rd brake light flasher from coupeconcepts.com
I did not know K & N made cabin filters....How much are they?

·
Registered
29 Posts
So, what did I do for my Soul today?
Well, I drove the crap out of her, as I do almost every day. 90 mph on I-75 to start with.

But I did notice that Walmart had regular gas for $2.87 per gallon, today. Seems like every day, they drop the per-gallon price by another couple of cents. I really sympathize with those poor guys out in California.
My only advise is, to move to Florida.

We've got no mandates, no state income tax, and low gas prices. What's not to love. And great weather too. Y'all come on down!

And the 3rd highest Covid rate in the country! We’re #3 ! Woohoo! C’mon down New Yorkers! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul GT-Line
24 Posts
Holy smokes!! That's the same price as their engine air filter
Nothing is priced like they used to be. If I remember correctly, a replacement K&N was around $25 back in 95.

Reactions: Junk2.0

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #760 ·
If the K&N Cabin Air Filter is washable and re-usable, then it's a lifetime filter, and worth the investment.
But, I wonder, just how many Kia owners don't even know that they have a Cabin Air Filter?
Last time I priced an OEM cabin air cleaner at my dealer, it was $55. Yikes!!!
I got a FRAM Tru Flow filter at Walmart for $25 if memory serves. I think they stopped making the FRAM FRESH BREEZE cabin air filter. I sure couldn't find one anywhere!
But those are not lifetime filters, and should probably be replaced once a year anyway.
Personally, I like to take my own Cabin Air Cleaner out and clean it every so often. My shop vac does a pretty good job. And, it's so easy on the Gen-3 Souls.
On my Gen-1 Soul, I had to remove 8 screws just to get the glove box out, to get down to the filter.
Happy Holidays!
PS: Stay tuned for more great news!

741 - 760 of 792 Posts