Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

461 - 480 of 530 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
64 Posts
Today I asked mine when it was going to grenade and leave us stranded....it did not answer. Build date 7/2019. Any day now

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #462 ·
Mine is older than yours by several months, and 21k on the odometer, and no problems here.
In fact, today she goes in for her 21k Oil Change (#7), and ECM update.
More on that later,
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #463 · (Edited)
OK, it's later.
Today was Jem's 21k Oil Change. I also got the ECM update (SA463 DTC Po605 P2181)
I don't know (yet) what it's supposed to do, but Jem seems to take it in stride. She's now got a little extra PEP in her Step! She always does that after an oil change.
About a week ago, I put a bottle of Techron, fuel system treatment, in her gas tank. That makes her feel a little bit better too.

She still doesn't want to hang with the posted speed limits. She's going to put me in Jail someday. lol

My service writer was good enough to go out into the shop and check the Magnetic Drain Plug for my car, and reported that it was 'Clean'. No chunks!

I'm home, Jem's happy, and running GREAT, and I'm pooped. I've been up since 2:30 this morning. Time for a nap.

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #464 ·
A day later: 4/22/21
I stopped by my local Firestone Tire shop, where I've bought tires for several years, and several different cars.
I came away a few hours later with four brand new "Primewell" tires. (PRIMEWELL PS890 Touring BL 215/60/R16 95H)

They seem to be stickier than the OEM's, and really hang on in sharp corners. They're also quieter than the OEM's.
I like them, Jem likes them so I guess I'll keep them. ;)

I kept the OEM tires and passed them off to a neighbor who expressed the need for some 16" tires.
That saved me the $8 tire removal fee.

That's probably the last tires I'll ever buy for this car.
Even though gas prices are sticking to the $2.60's, around here anyway, tire prices and shop charges are still going up.

Cheers Mates! Happy Trails!

·
Registered
75 Posts
A day later: 4/22/21
I stopped by my local Firestone Tire shop, where I've bought tires for several years, and several different cars.
I came away a few hours later with four brand new "Primewell" tires. (PRIMEWELL PS890 Touring BL 215/60/R16 95H)

They seem to be stickier than the OEM's, and really hang on in sharp corners. They're also quieter than the OEM's.
I like them, Jem likes them so I guess I'll keep them. ;)

I kept the OEM tires and passed them off to a neighbor who expressed the need for some 16" tires.
That saved me the $8 tire removal fee.

That's probably the last tires I'll ever buy for this car.
Even though gas prices are sticking to the $2.60's, around here anyway, tire prices and shop charges are still going up.

Cheers Mates! Happy Trails!

Tires at 21,000miles? o_O Be interesting to see how the gas mileage is with stickier tires.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 ·
Just as an update, I want to report that I was getting a lot of wheel spin, with my OEM tires, like when pulling out onto my local highway. And that would result in the Anti-Spin control kicking in and messing with my acceleration to cruising speed.
But with the new Primewell tires, they just grab on, and away we go....no spin.
I was really afraid that 'cheap' tires would give me less than satisfactory performance, but it's just the opposite.
Their performance is more than adequate. I guess I just got lucky.

Happy Motoring, Mates!

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
64 Posts
Just as an update, I want to report that I was getting a lot of wheel spin, with my OEM tires, like when pulling out onto my local highway. And that would result in the Anti-Spin control kicking in and messing with my acceleration to cruising speed.
I was really afraid that 'cheap' tires would give me less than satisfactory performance, but it's just the opposite.

Happy Motoring, Mates!
What tires and size did you have OEM? I know the only way out 18s break loose is in the snow.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #470 ·
They were the OEMs that came on my 16" steel wheels. I think they were 205/65/R16. Hancook, I think?

They must have been a very HARD composition, because they were noisy and would spin a lot when powering into
a corner. (like turning out onto the highway and putting the GO pedal down)
I've never been really wild about any OEM tires, and I usually wind up getting rid of them way before they are actually worn out. I gave them to a friend who will get some use out of them.

My new tires are one size wider than the OEMs, for better traction in the sand....where I live.

Cheers Mate!

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
64 Posts
They were the OEMs that came on my 16" steel wheels. I think they were 205/65/R16. Hancook, I think?

They must have been a very HARD composition, because they were noisy and would spin a lot when powering into
a corner. (like turning out onto the highway and putting the GO pedal down)
I've never been really wild about any OEM tires, and I usually wind up getting rid of them way before they are actually worn out. I gave them to a friend who will get some use out of them.

My new tires are one size wider than the OEMs, for better traction in the sand....where I live.

Cheers Mate!
Ours came with 18 inch Hancooks. I have to say...I am thoroughly impressed with the noise, wear, grip and ride quality out of these buggers. I would not hesitate to put them on the car again (Depending on the price)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #472 ·
Seems to be quite a difference, between the 16's and the 18's. Who woulda' thunk it? lol

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
64 Posts
Hamster... Out of curiosity, did you go with factory 18 sizes? I am just wondering if the Souls with the 16s have the same circumference as the 18s or if the Speedo's are programmed differently. If they are programmed differently for the smaller tires your speedo could be off by quite a bit given that fact you did a +2 upgrade. I know you like to speed around....lol

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
162 Posts

< snippage! >

Cheers Mate!
Did you go one height range down, or stick with the 65-series? If you didn't change the height, then the new tyres are 1/2" bigger in diameter than the OEMs, which might explain somewhat the lack of spin.

EDIT: Originals are 205/60-16, but the 1/2" is still accurate comparing to 215/60-16.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,119 Posts
I put my 11 year old Soul in the garage due to thunderstorms and hail. Gotta keep that sunroof under cover... 🌩🌩

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
162 Posts

Happy Motoring, Mates!
Hamster, I had never heard of Primewell tires, so I wondered.
All I could find with a quick search for reviews from people NOT selling them, was this:

https://www.tirereviews.com/primewell-tire-reviews

Depending on which model you bought, please be careful in the wet.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #478 ·
Primewell is sold by Firestone. It's their Budget tire. So far I HAVE driven them in the rain, and they work just fine, just like everywhere else.
I've just not driven them in the SNOW, yet, and probably never will. My last six cars have never seen snow! lol
While going 10mm wider, for greater traction, I did keep the aspect ratio, so my speedometer is not far off, if any at all.

As a matter of course, I NEVER buy anything according to an Internet or magazine Review. Money can buy you any review you want. That's a proven fact.
I do all my own road testing, and I have for over 60 years. Works for me!

For every product that I use and just love, I can find several reviews that say that it's CRAP. BS!

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
162 Posts
< li'l snip >

While going 10mm wider, for greater traction, I did keep the aspect ratio, so my speedometer is not far off, if any at all.

< more snips >
If it's 10mm wider, and still at a 60% aspect ratio, then it is 12mm more in diameter. 1/2" in 'Murican terms.

That makes a 2% difference in speedo reading, which as you say is nothing major. But it does also put less force down at the asphalt to accelerate with, or spin the tires.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #480 ·
Nah! Doesn't happen! So far I can account for Zero Wheel Spin, except for in the soft sand, of course.
Even in the sand, it's less than it was with my OEM tires.

461 - 480 of 530 Posts