Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

441 - 460 of 530 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was busy with the wife's new ride last week. I put her 3D MAXpider All-Weather Floor Mats in it, the fit and finish is impressive on them. In the looks department, I prefer them to my weathertech's.

I did de-ironize, clay, polish and ceramic coat it the other day. That really makes the pearl sparkle in the paint!

I hear what you guys are saying, but if you aren't putting some kind of protection on the paint it will be rough on it in the long run. UV protection makes a difference and even new clearcoats can dry out and turn to crap if you don't take care of them.

I ordered the factory mud flaps, they were delivered today, I'll try to get them on before the end of the week.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #442 ·
Today I took Jem for a little road trip, down to "The Villages". It was 71 miles, with lots of speed zones, and stop lights, but she still got 35+ mpg.
And I did have several opportunities to "Put the Pedal to the Metal" for brief periods. Enough to "Blow the Cobs Out"!

As usual, Jem performed admirably. The only problem I had with her today, was keeping her down to the speed limits.
She just wants to 'GO'!!!

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #444 ·
That's what I'm talking about. She's got PULL!

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
162 Posts
Loose your Soul? That could be really serious!
But if it's just your car, press the LOCK button on your Key Fob, repeatedly, and your car will honk at you. No Add-Ons required.

Cheers mates,
That's all very well if you HAVE a fob.... Us base-level drivers don't get one (at least with the 2021 manual version) Kickin' it old skool! :)

Speaking of which, I did this the other day:

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
162 Posts
It's been said that a manual gearbox is the best anti-theft device you can find.
Only in the US - most every other country trains people to drive a real gearbox.

When I got my license in the UK, if you took the test in an automatic, your driving license limited you to that. "Automatic Transmission Only" was writ large across it.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #448 ·
My dad, a professional driver, started teaching me to drive a 'stick' when I was just seven years old. I finally 'Got it', but never liked it. We finished off my driver's training in a 1953 Buick Skylark (convertible).
Full power, Full Automatic, , , , What a Car!

OH, I've owned several vehicles with manual transmissions, but always enjoyed driving an AT much better.
Today, I wouldn't even dream of owning a MT again.

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Only in the US - most every other country trains people to drive a real gearbox.

When I got my license in the UK, if you took the test in an automatic, your driving license limited you to that. "Automatic Transmission Only" was writ large across it.
When you took a driving test in the UK it was a real test, driving in actual traffic in town not through a quiet residential area like they do here. You have a 3 point turn, parallel parking, reverse into a parking space, hill start, emergency braking a full knowledge of the highway code to name but a few needed requirements. As you stated when tested in an auto that was all you were allowed to drive, test in a manual and there were no restrictions.

Pat.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
162 Posts
When you took a driving test in the UK it was a real test, driving in actual traffic in town not through a quiet residential area like they do here. You have a 3 point turn, parallel parking, reverse into a parking space, hill start, emergency braking a full knowledge of the highway code to name but a few needed requirements. As you stated when tested in an auto that was all you were allowed to drive, test in a manual and there were no restrictions.

Pat.
Yup.

:D

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have to laugh. I got my license in 1962. the test was taken on an 1959 Oldsmobile.with automatic transmission. My brother-in-law taught me to drive a manual on an 1948 Chevy, I think it was, that had no synchromesh shortly thereafter. In 1969 I was drafted int the US Army, and got a military drivers license. I could drive any tactical vehicle from M-151, 3/4 ton, 5/4 ton,and deuce and a half, all with manual transmissions. I could also drive civilian milItaly sedans. When I came back from Vietnam to complete my tour of duty, in Washington DC. I had to retake the tests. I passed the tests for Tactical vehicles. But did not pass the test for the sedans. Supposedly I ground the transmission. Funny, I never heard the gears grind.
i still like “rowing the gears”, but my better-half has never been able to master the manua. And after 48 year, I’m not going to press the issue any more. Consequently all my cars are automatics.

Reactions: FLHamster

·
Registered
2012+ 2.0L W/Manual trans.
665 Posts
i still like “rowing the gears”, but my better-half has never been able to master the manua. And after 48 year, I’m not going to press the issue any more. Consequently all my cars are automatics.
My wife drives a stick shift as good or better than anyone I've ever seen.
Up until the current car she's driving she's always had a stick shift. They didn't make what she wanted with a moonroof and a manual so she caved and went for the moon roof.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #453 ·
Moonroof or not, I think she'll be very happy with her new Soul. I'm sure happy with mine. And I don't even have a moon roof. lol And I'm glad, because eventually every one of them will LEAK!

Cheers,
:cool:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #454 ·
Today, Easter, I took my little gal for a drive in the country. It was a beautiful, sunny and warm day and by the time I got home, I'd logged 102 miles. I did stop at a new MOBIL gas station, where I topped off my tank with gas that I bought for just $2.57 per gallon. Seems like gas prices are dropping again.
As usual, my little Gal performed perfectly. Super acceleration, and excellent gas mileage.
Just what I expected, from my little Jem.

I hope y'all have had a nice Easter,

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,617 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #456 ·
That's hilarious.....but the truth is, that the Soul does have PULL!
I found that our for sure, when I pulled my neighbor's SUV out of a sand pit. The frame of her car was sitting right down on the sand.
First I broke a tow strap, rated at 6000 Lbs, then finally pulled her out with a 200', 3/4" nylon tow rope.
My little Jem was never even breathing hard.
Yes, she's got PULL!
A boat, on wheels? No problem!

Still, my favorite Kia Soul picture.
Cheers Mates,

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #457 ·
So, what did I do for my Soul today?
Well, I stopped at a Murphy's Express station and filled up my gas tank with E10 at $2.51 per gal.
That's the lowest I've paid in several months. My little Jem seems to like it just fine.

It can't be because of a lessening of demand for gasoline, because the roads around here are jammed with cars, and trucks. And the filling stations are busy too! Big mystery!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #458 ·
Today, Jem took me for a little road trip, down to The Villages, and Lake Sumpter Landing.

Old Soul, this one's for you.

Dec. 1, 2021, Cody's will open their new store on SR 200, just about 8 miles from my house. I won't have to drive the 26 miles down to The Villages for a basket of fried mushrooms. :)

It was a classic Florida day, today. No clouds, NO Rain, just blue skies and lots of sun. The traffic wasn't even too bad today.

May all your road trips be as enjoyable as mine was today.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
162 Posts
Had the hitch installed while it was in for a service, and tried out my old bike rack to make sure it fit without the handlebars hitting the rear window, All good!
Summer is supposed to be here soonish....

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #460 ·
Nice looking Bike! Love those off-road tires!

441 - 460 of 530 Posts