Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

321 - 340 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT-Line, 2010 Soul Sport
28 Posts
It's been some time since I added anything to my 2020 Soul LX, but this morning I got an email from K&N Filters, telling me that they now have a drop in filter for the 2020 Soul 2.0L MFI engine.
WOW, it's been a long wait!
Well, they say it fits, so wasting NO time, I whipped out the old CC and ordered one.
Finally, I can get my little gal free breathing at last.
Happy Trails, Y'all!
FLH :cool:
PS: The same filter (#33-5050) is available via Amazon, for about the same price.
I just bought one myself. Anything that can help the 2.0 breathe and generate some additional HP, I am in favor of. There has been a few times where I wish I had some more power.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #322 (Edited)
FYI:
For years, I did all my own oil changes, in my back yard. I actually enjoyed doing it. I even built concrete ramps in my back yard, to get the car about 10" up off the ground. It was all the space I needed to do my oil changes.
I had a cap wrench that was suppose to fit my oil filter perfectly, but on one oil change, the cap wrench would just slip on the filter. Arggg!
So I decided to get creative. I drilled three holes through one side of the cap wrench and tapped it up tight onto the filter. Then using my power screwdriver I drove three 1/2" sheet metal screws through the holes in the cap wrench and also through the side of the filter. (NO SLIP)
Then using my 9" extension and my 18" Torque Wrench I proceeded to remove the oil filter.

Once I had the slippage eliminated, and applied sufficient Torque, the rest was easy peasy.
I was really surprised that an oil filter that I put on by hand, could possibly be that tight, in only 3k miles.
I guess I don't know my own strength.
There is NO WAY in this world or the next, that I'd let a reluctant oil filter get the best of me. Eh?

Somewhere I have a picture of a very old method of removing a stuck oil filter, but I can't find it. :(
That's where you drive a long screwdriver through the filter and use that as a handle to turn the filter, thus unscrewing it from the block. It can be a little messy, but it Works!
Finally found the pic, back in the archives:

I hate to admit it, but in the 16 months that I've had my 2020 Soul, I've not been under it even once.
When I bought the car, I also bought an Extended Maintenance contract, so when I need an oil change, or
anything else, I just take my car to my KIA Dealer and they take care of it.

Happy Trails, Mate!

·
Registered
28 Posts
FYI:
For years, I did all my own oil changes, in my back yard. I actually enjoyed doing it. I even built concrete ramps in my back yard, to get the car about 10" up off the ground. It was all the space I needed to do my oil changes.
I had a cap wrench that was suppose to fit my oil filter perfectly, but on one oil change, the cap wrench would just slip on the filter. Arggg!
So I decided to get creative. I drilled three holes through one side of the cap wrench and tapped it up tight onto the filter. Then using my power screwdriver I drove three 1/2" sheet metal screws through the holes in the cap wrench and also through the side of the filter. (NO SLIP)
Then using my 9" extension and my 18" Torque Wrench I proceeded to remove the oil filter.
View attachment 134819
Once I had the slippage eliminated, and applied sufficient Torque, the rest was easy peasy.
I was really surprised that an oil filter that I put on by hand, could possibly be that tight, in only 3k miles.
I guess I don't know my own strength.
There is NO WAY in this world or the next, that I'd let a reluctant oil filter get the best of me. Eh?

Somewhere I have a picture of a very old method of removing a stuck oil filter, but I can't find it. :(
That's where you drive a long screwdriver through the filter and use that as a handle to turn the filter, thus
unscrewing it from the block. It can be a little messy, but it Works!

I hate to admit it, but in the 16 months that I've had my 2020 Soul, I've not been under it even once.
When I bought the car, I also bought an Extended Maintenance contract, so when I need an oil change, or
anything else, I just take my car to my KIA Dealer and they take care of it.

Happy Trails, Mate!
I had my 9“ extension and my torque wrench and it still would not move. The cup would pop off the flutes. Over 100ft lbs of force, and still nothing. I could have went farther, but stopped. I did not want to remove the plastic skirt under the engine. My car was manufactured in June ‘19, so I wonder if the time sitting on the lot, has something to do with it.

I had this same issue with a 2010 Hyundai 2.0l I had. The filter would tighten, over time, as the vehicle ran. Since that incident, which required a vice grip to remove, I always hand tighten the filter to snug plus 1/8” turn. No problems since then.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
I just bought one myself. Anything that can help the 2.0 breathe and generate some additional HP, I am in favor of. There has been a few times where I wish I had some more power.
Well, it's not like adding NOS, or a Super Charger, but it helps. And even though a K&N Filter is more expensive than the standard paper filter, it's the last one you'll ever need to buy for your car.

Every time I get a 3k service on my car, I pull the Air Filter and check it out. If it's not pink, but grey or brown, (dirty) I just take it into the house, and in my kitchen sink, I spray the filter with the K&N Cleaner, rinse it out with warm water, and shake it out, and sit it outside in the sun to dry. Once dry, I spray it with the K&N Filter Oil and put it back in the car.
I actually enjoy doing little things like that, to keep my car in tip top shape.

Happy Trails, Mate!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Today I tried to change my oil for the first time. Only have 2400 miles on it, but I was doing the other car so I figured what the hell. That is as far as I got. Oil filter is stuck. I tried to use the filter cup, and a band filter remover to no avail. It will not budge. Had to call the dealership and schedule a warranty replacement/oil change. They are going to use the labor of removing the oil filter has a warranty claim. I just have to pay for the oil filters and the oil.
That is ridiculous that it is on that tight

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
Well, the FedEx truck was just here, and now I finally have my K&N Air Cleaner.

For the nubes, the KIA Oem Air filter (paper) is on the left, and the K&N washable (cloth) Air Filter is on the right. It fits perfectly. And, it's the last Air Cleaner I'll ever have to buy for this car.
I can't wait to get out on the blacktop and see how it works.
While I was under the hood, I checked the engine oil level.....it was FULL!
Thus endeth my Under The Hood work for today.

Happy Rosh Hashanah!

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Well, the FedEx truck was just here, and now I finally have my K&N Air Cleaner.
View attachment 134855
For the nubes, the KIA Oem Air filter (paper) is on the left, and the K&N washable (cloth) Air Filter is on the right. It fits perfectly. And, it's the last Air Cleaner I'll ever have to buy for this car.
I can't wait to get out on the blacktop and see how it works.
While I was under the hood, I checked the engine oil level.....it was FULL!
Thus endeth my Under The Hood work for today.

Happy Rosh Hashanah!
שנה טובה FLH.

Today I took my Soul in for its annual State Inspection.

I also gave it a new “emblem” as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
What!???
I just installed my own K&N Air Cleaner yesterday, and my engine is NOT any louder than it was before. The air intake on the KIA Soul is totally enclosed, and I've never heard any intake noise in the eight (8) years that I've driven a Soul. And, that is, with or without a K&N Air Cleaner.
The only change I've noticed, since installing my new Air Cleaner, is possibly a little bit MORE performance. Checking my MPG today as I went out to run some errands, it appeared like I was getting better MPG. That more or less corresponds with what I saw on my last three cars, after I installed the K&N Air Cleaner.

I know Florida is not the only state, where stuff blows around in the air, but we sure do get our share. (pollen, sand, dirt, and car and truck exhausts)
And, I like being able to take out my air cleaner, and just wash it, and put a nice clean filter back in my car without having to buy a new Air Cleaner. Those things are not as cheap as they were 50 years ago.

Autumn begins in just a few days. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
שנה טובה FLH.

Today I took my Soul in for its annual State Inspection.

I also gave it a new “emblem” as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where did you find the red soul emblem.

Pat.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Speaking of engine air filters, I found this to be very interesting:

·
Registered
2020 Pearl White LX
79 Posts
Well I was excited to finally get my tires swapped over to my new rims.Dropped off my car at the tire shop(Osceola speed tire)..the guy calls me up to say that one of the rims is bent. so I went over real quick and when I got there apparently they had dropped one of the rims on the concrete so it was scratched and the lip was bent. and they wouldn't fess up to it so now I have a bent rim that I have to get fixed and mounted somewhere else. really pissed off ruined my day..

·
Registered
28 Posts
View attachment 134866 Well I was excited to finally get my tires swapped over to my new rims.Dropped off my car at the tire shop(Osceola speed tire)..the guy calls me up to say that one of the rims is bent. so I went over real quick and when I got there apparently they had dropped one of the rims on the concrete so it was scratched and the lip was bent. and they wouldn't fess up to it so now I have a bent rim that I have to get fixed and mounted somewhere else. really pissed off ruined my day..
That sucks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
So today I finished the final upgrade to my 2020 Soul GT Line 2.0L, LED lights. Changed the fog, headlight, parking, reverse and license plate lights to 6000k LED. FINALLY, the car has the look that I want. Now all halogen lights are replaced with white LED that matches the same lights in the interior and puddle lights.

Since purchasing on 6/8/20 I have done the following:

• LED Headlights
  • LED Fog Lights
  • LED Parking Lights
  • LED Reverse Lights
  • LED License Plate Lights
  • Center Console Organizer
  • Full Set of Weathertech Liners for front, back, and trunk
  • Weathertech sun shade
  • OEM splash guards
  • OEM billet oil cap
  • OEM LX factory bottom tray to cover spare tire
  • OEM sport pedals
  • OEM Homelink Autodimming Mirror
  • K&N drop-in filter
  • License plate frames and smoked plastic cover
Total is just under $1400. My bank account will thank me for no more purchases.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
Well, I didn't do a lot for my little Jem today, but she did something memorable for me.
On my way home tonight, on a 1+ mile stretch of two lane highway, that was totally devoid of other cars,
I just let Jem do her thing. She loves to run, and RUN she did, all the way up to 120 MPH, before I had to hit the
brakes for a Right turn in the road. Previously, her best on that same road was just 115mph. So what made the difference?
I can only guess it was the new K&N Air Cleaner that I recently installed.
120 MPH, that's incredible for a little Econo Box.
She was still accelerating when I was forces to hit the brakes. I'm sure she could have done even more if I just had more road. She does love to RUN!

Cheers mates!

321 - 340 of 368 Posts