Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today, I took 'Jem' for a little jaunt (about 75 miles) out to Cedar Key on the Gulf coast. It was a nice day for a re-visit. I had not been there since the last hurricane hit the place.
Bikers love the place, as it's a nice destination for a 'Ride'.
(click on pictures to enlarge)

Bikers love Cedar Key.jpg

Restaurant Row.jpg

Along Restaurant Row, there are at least four eating places and they all serve Beer. It's a Bikers' paradise. lol
Today, at least one place had live entertainment.

I couldn't have asked for a nicer day, and Jem ran like the Jewel she is. My odometer rolled over past 1000 miles today and got 34.4 Mpg for the trip, according to the 'Trip Meter'.
Pretty darned good for a car that's not even broken in yet. I can't wait to get my K&N Air Cleaner for this car. That should give her a little more SCAT!

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
Happy Trails!

:cool:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I really went all out today......

I installed my vanity plate on the front of "Jem".

Then I replaced the Lic. Plate light bulbs with LED bulbs, and also the map lights.
The stock bulbs have a yellowish look, while the new LED's are bright white.
It's a little thing, but just one more small improvement, that only cost a few dollars.

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I really went all out today......

I installed my vanity plate on the front of "Jem".

Then I replaced the Lic. Plate light bulbs with LED bulbs, and also the map lights.
The stock bulbs have a yellowish look, while the new LED's are bright white.
It's a little thing, but just one more small improvement, that only cost a few dollars.

Cheers Mates!

Careful, I got some flack from some on here for changing out my LEDs.... :laughonfloor

I think the only thing I'll do for my Soul is get some Weathertech mats. Based on what I'm seeing though, they only have the front mats available. I have some seat covers that I'm going to put in place as well. If/when I decide to get back into rideshare, I'm going to cover the car. People are generally animals.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't know who would want to give you any flack over an LED.
Information is one thing, that's why at least some of us are here, but flack? Not necessary.

Several years ago, I bought some replacement LED's for my 2013 Soul. For the most part, they worked OK.

Well, I still had a few of those 5 LED bulbs laying around and decided to use them on my 2020 Soul LX.
In the map lights (2) some did not come on at all and others only lit two out of five LED's.
Well, they were from China and if I remember correctly it took almost a month to get them.
That's not the first thing I've ordered over the internet and later found out they were coming from China, and after a long wait, they didn't even work.

So I did a little local shopping for replacement LED bulbs and I found one at Walmart for $6.88. It worked, with no flicker.
I think it had a Sylvania label. There were several of different wattages, and I got one with the highest wattage.

It's a very small thing, since I very seldom drive at night, but just something I wanted to do, without spending a great amount of money.

But I can understand anyone who would rather just not take a chance on something that might not work.

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
One thing I've been interested in getting for my new Soul is a set of Roof Racks. Something that's actually functional, and not just cosmetic.

I called my dealer this morning, and talked to the parts man, and (sniff) found out that KIA has not released Roof Racks for the 2020 model yet.:grey:

So I'll just add that to my list of "Not Available for the 2020 year, yet" accessories.

Strange that Kia provides the anchor points for Roof Racks, but does not provide the racks themselves. :cold:

But, when I did an Internet search, I found several that claim to work on a 2020 Soul.

Wishing y'all a Happy Memorial Day!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think I broke the Internet yesterday. I did a search for IVT transmissions. Zero, zilch, crickets! But lots of info on CVT transmissions.
I already understood those, because I had one on my Harley Topper Motor Scooter. It worked great, just like the AT in my 2020 Soul.
So I'm still on a search for information on just "What is an IVT?" and how does it differ from a CVT?

Happy Memorial Day, Everyone!

PS: During more searching, I did find this on the IVT from Kia. But still no technical data.
https://www.enginetechnologyinternational.com/news/transmissions-technologies/kia-soul-to-feature-intelligent-variable-transmission-in-2020.html

·
Registered
14,775 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I just watched it, and he's reviewing the 2019 Forte, and not the 2020 Soul LX. And nowhere did he ever say the word "IVT".

I talked to the Expert at my KIA dealership today and even he couldn't explain exactly how the IVT works. From what he said, I get the impression it's a CVT with a brain boost.:eek:nthego:

When I put it in SPORT mode and manually went through the 'gears' I got 8 separate shift points, just like it was an 8 speed AT.

Well, whatever.....it runs like a scalded cat and I really have to watch the speedometer to keep even somewhere close to the speed limit. Out on the BIG Road, 100 mph is quick and easy. (I-75 with light traffic)

I filled up the gas tank yesterday at my local BP station and the readout on the dash panel said I had 400 miles before the next fill-up. Yikes!

I'm getting better acquainted with this new Soul every day, and more satisfied with her too. The gas mileage is much better than with my 2013 Soul.

Oh, by the way, I found out that the Kia Roof Racks won't be out till September. And If I buy a Magnetic Oil Drain Plug for my engine, my dealership will install it for me on my next Oil Change. All in all, it was a good day.

Happy Memorial Day, Y'all !

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really! But a CVT is a mechanical thing that depends on centrifugal force to change ratios, and while the IVT somewhat does that, it also relies on some computer magic and therein lies the IVT designation.

But whatchamacallit, (whatever you may call it) it does work well in this little car and with the 2.0L engine. Acceleration is phenomenal, and very smooth going through the various shift points.
I question though, how long it would last pulling a trailer. ??? Or pulling anything.
I don't think I'll even try to find out.

Oh, by the way, Kia is still recommending the use of Chevron-Techron (fuel injector cleaner) in all Kia engines. So says my Kia parts man.

Happy Memorial Day, Y'all !

·
Registered
737 Posts
FLH said:Oh, by the way, Kia is still recommending the use of Chevron-Techron (fuel injector cleaner) in all Kia engines. So says my Kia parts man.
Agree, Last time I got Techron from Amazon, I ordered 2 20oz bottles. I put one in my 2013+ and it sure smoothed out.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FLH said:Oh, by the way, Kia is still recommending the use of Chevron-Techron (fuel injector cleaner) in all Kia engines. So says my Kia parts man.
Agree, Last time I got Techron from Amazon, I ordered 2 20oz bottles. I put one in my 2013+ and it sure smoothed out.
That was my experience too, with my 2013 1.6L Soul. But, I never knew for sure, if it was the Techron or the Prolong Anti Friction Additive that I put in with every oil change. Or if it was just the fresh Castrol GTX oil that I used. But after I did my 3k oil change ritual, my little car had a new kick to her Get-a-long. That would usually last for about 1k miles, or so.

Since I've already asked my dealer's rep. about the Techron, and got a thumbs UP, I guess I'll continue using it with every oil change. (actually BEFORE each oil change)
If you watch closely, you can find Techron at SALE prices in many stores. I got a bottle at Pep Boys last week for $3 and change. I would have bought several bottles, but I got the last one they had in stock.

Cheers Mate!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I stopped by an Advance Auto Parts Store today on my 'Sunday Drive' and picked up two more bottles of Techron on a BoGo Sale for $8, which made it $4 per bottle.

Then I also bought a new steering wheel cover. It looks like short Black Bear fur. Feels great on the hands. It's cool in the summer and will be warm in the winter. And it will keep my hands from aching while hanging on to that wheel.

And, hanging on to the steering wheel while driving is of great importance. The Kia Soul does not have auto steer yet.

Happy Trails, Mates!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today, I played around a little bit with the Auto/Manual Shifter.

As I was preparing to get on I-75, and waiting for the light to change, I bumped the shift lever into manual mode.

When I made the turn onto the entrance ramp I "punched it" and she took off like a turpentined Cat!!!
She would quickly tach up to 6500 rpm and then shift to the next higher gear and then repeat the process. By the time she got to the end of the ramp and was ready to enter traffic, she was doing 80 mph and still accelerating and screaming like a banshee! Fortunately, the right lane of I-75 was open and I didn't have to hit the brakes to keep from running into someone.

Now, once out on the BIG road, I used the manual shifter to bump her up to 8th gear. Yikes! I was cruising at 80 mph, and the tach was only reading 2400 rpm. And the MPG meter on my Scan Gauge, was reading over 30 mpg.

I've tried to be careful, but I've not babied her during this break-in period, and she just loves to RUN!!!
I've only had her up to 100 mph so far, but that's only because I ran out of open road. :)

I wonder how other 2020 owners, with the 2.0L engine, are finding their cars, for performance?

Put the hammer down and report back!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yesterday, once again, I took a trip down I-75. The traffic was light and it gave me some more time to play with the AT controls. I put the shifter into Manual mode and bumped the AT up into 8th gear.
I was cruising easy at 80mph, (2400 rpm) and my scan gauge said I was getting up to 37 mpg. That's like an 'Overdrive' gear and isn't good for passing other cars or going up hills, but cruising on the level (more or less) I can get some fabulous gas mileage. That's something to remember for 'Road Trips'. That also worked well under "Cruise Control".

Working this new IVT to its full advantage could save me many dollars in gas money on a long trip.

Cheers mates!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks great! I have been considering it on mine, pretty sure everyone knows it is a soul!
Thank you. It had three badges on the back (SOUL, eco dynamics and EX). 3 was a few too many for me.

Just in case anyone needs the info, I used dental floss to remove the SOUL and EX badges and 50 pound fishing line to remove the eco dynamics badge.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was a little miffed, that the dealership was in such a hurry to get my car ready for SALE, that they forgot to put the nice little oval "Citrus Kia" emblem on the rear of the car.
So, the last time I was there, I got them to install one, and remove some adhesive on the side doors.
In their haste to get my car ready to deliver, they seemed to have forgotten several things. I had to remove several pieces of clear tape from inside the car.

I have no problem with badges, emblems and decals on the back of my car.

FLH :cool:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yesterday, on my way home on I-75, first I hit 100mph while getting over into the high speed lane on the six lane road. Woah, Nellie!
Then later on down the road, I had a chance to advance about a mile on down the left lane, and once again Jem kicked up her heels and hit 100 mph again.

I gotta say, "for a little four banger, she's really got lots of GO POWER".

When I got home, I noticed that during the day my odometer had advanced to over 2000 miles. How the miles add up when you're having fun!

FLH :cool:

1 - 20 of 109 Posts