Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

What brand of gasoline has given everyone the best mileage?

14K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Rock the Box 
#1 ·
From my research on the internet, most people say the following are the best gasoline
for keeping the engine clean and getting the best gas mileage.

1> Mobile/Exxon
2> Chevron
3> Shell

What has everyone's experience with the Soul been?

#2 ·
People are loyal to certain brands, but the reality is that it makes very, very little difference. The only real variables are additives by the distributor and the condition of storage tanks at the retailer. Otherwise, the base product is identical.

Gasoline sold by a Shell station isn't necessarily refined by Shell. Refiners get allotments for what they put into the pipeline. They then get that many barrels out. They don't get THEIR barrels, just whatever gasoline is at the distribution terminal.

#7 ·
I generally stay away from Exxon/Esso. Something in their additives always caused a TPS error in my old 89 Civic... and when I mean always, I mean always without fail.

My soul is still breaking in its way up the mileage ladder so I don't have a preferred fuel for it...

I haven't noticed any major differences in terms of the Elantra (Beta engine like some souls)... I generally use Costco gas cuz it 5-15 cents cheaper a gallon. I also use Valero cuz it's conveniently closeby. I tend to stay away from Arco cuz it's BP.
I usually run a can of Techron a tank or 2 before an oil change to clean any buildup away, although the aftermarket stuff isn't the same as the stuff Chevron adds at the stations- it contains 6 wt% of a proprietary (most likely some polyamine detergent) compound, most likely similar to what Shell adds to get their "nitrogen enriched" formulation. I should probably use STP treatment instead, which is the same as consumer Techron but it does contain those amine compounds.

#8 ·
I use the liquid type! :p

#9 ·
I like Chevron, but I have to agree with Dmwagner and Fatabbot. There isn't much difference. I have run multiple tanks of various brands, and I swear Chevron gives me better mileage....but then after 2-3 tanks of Chevron (me trying to PROVE there is a difference), I see the mileage almost the same. Always about 30 mpg. Always. Try a few brands. As soon as you are "convinced" there is a "better" one, and try to document those results....you'll see the average is about the same. AND... it cost more, so any savings from better mileage is offset by the cost of fancy gas.
Don't get me wrong. All gas is NOT the same. But the variations you 'll find here in the States are so minimal as to not matter(much). You can add Techron to any gas.... Or any other snake oil....
P.S. I have 14300 miles on my rig.... so I have had a few tanks to play with..

#13 · (Edited)
Usually I get gas at Irving but sometimes will get it at Gulf or at the convenience store down the street if I’m being lazy. If I could find a way to bottle my own gas, all I would need is a Taco Bell bean burrito and I’d have enough gas to last me a week! 🌯 💨 ⛽ 🚗

Reactions: Superbad
#14 ·
You should let my dog ride in the front seat.....he can change the air quality in an instant!

#15 ·
BP has long-time advertised itself as offering the best gas mileage with it's gasoline fuel.
Yes, I can verify it's boasting over the last 15-20 years. But do I use it now?...... no.

I use Meijer Top-Tier 89-93 octane fuel these days. Why?.... because both of our S. Korean vehicles runs the best on it and I save 10-20 cents on every gallon I purchase there.

#17 ·
Just an FYI with a 2020 Soul the owners manual states to use a Top Tier gasoline. They say to find it go to www.toptiergas.com. I did that and there is a list of all licensed brands that sell it. (FYI, they are randomly audited to insure they do in fact sell it) My vehicle is supposed to have this fuel because of the detergent cleaning additive that prevents carbon buildup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.