Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the carpet in the back row is soaked of my 2018 Kia Soul - I have not let any window open and the front is completely dry. The car has been parked in a humid garage but that doesn't seem like it would cause the back seat carpet to get wet.

I do have a panoramic sunroof - and I wonder if there is some kind of leak somewhere. There isn't any apparent wetness on the ceiling of the car though.

Any ideas on what to do here?

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,703 Posts
I would check the sunroof drains are not blocked.

Pat.
And I'd have the dealer check too. How long has it been wet? A few days is one thing. A month or three means mold which means potential major health issues which often means lawyers. Needs to be fixed yesterday.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
how does one do this? where are the drains?
Not sure on the souls' exact location, but look in the corners of your pano and you should see some "downtube" openings.

Some people use compressed air to clean those out; you can also try something like weedeater string to fish it down through to clear/check for obstructions (and then a garden hose to rinse). Tubes are hidden behind the pillars. Being an '18 though, I'd be letting the dealer sort it out under warranty unless too inconvenient (time or distance).

Greg

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,126 Posts
Hey manny, you wouldn't necessarily see any signs of leak on the sunroof/ceiling area if it is a straight down to the floor drip. I would put a bucket or cookie sheet pan there to see if it is a drip.

For sure that carpet has to come out and get dried pronto. Once mold starts growing it's a difficult thing to get rid of.

Also be sure to open your recir vents to let some fresh air flow into the cabin.

Keep us posted please.

Conwel had posted some great pics of AC drain location in this thread:

https://www.kiasoulforums.com/10-soul-problems-gen-1/109777-passenger-floor-wet.html

Reactions: manny_18

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And I'd have the dealer check too. How long has it been wet? A few days is one thing. A month or three means mold which means potential major health issues which often means lawyers. Needs to be fixed yesterday.
I am not sure - as I only realized it when I put a cardbox box on the rear floor (I rarely have anyone or anything back there) and it was really wet after a week. The cardboard got moldy as well so I fear that the carpeting is moldy. I had it shampoo'd and vacuum but fear that is not enough.

This could be a problem from a week or it could have been months and months. I suspect it's been at least a few months as I have been wondering why the interior of my car has seemed so humid.

I am shocked that a new car would already have an issue like this. I really love this car but man oh man this sucks. I have a dealer appointment for tomorrow morning.

I am going to ask them to replace the carpet and clean out any mold. I hope they will not say nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Not sure on the souls' exact location, but look in the corners of your pano and you should see some "downtube" openings.

Some people use compressed air to clean those out; you can also try something like weedeater string to fish it down through to clear/check for obstructions (and then a garden hose to rinse). Tubes are hidden behind the pillars. Being an '18 though, I'd be letting the dealer sort it out under warranty unless too inconvenient (time or distance).

Greg

I see an inner rail under the sunroof that looks wet, but the wet area doesn't extend to the front of the sunroof window and disappears behind the rest of the panoramic roof.

I wonder what would clog it.

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
Good luck at the dealer Manny!

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
If the issue is a blocked drain I seriously doubt it will be covered by warranty, a blockage could be caused by a leaf or a build up of sludge, you can hardly expect the car maker to cover that. But I guess there is no harm in trying, just prepare to be told it is the owners problem.

Pat.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I wonder what would clog it.
Anything from leaves, bugs, dirt, seed pods, or any other solid material that srad from this forum (or your friends) might find funny to prank you. In some cases, could even be a hidden, disconnected drain hose causing the leak (or simply bad seals); so, in cases like those, warranty would definitely cover it. Pressure testing would help identify bad seals.

Greg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the issue was a clogged AC Drain Tube - and the dealer says all the carpet is wet not just the back seat. What clogging it is hard to say as it seems it has been clogged for a very long time to the point of whatever was in there has been broken down by mold. The cost to fix is $750 but I got him to give me a "break" to $650. They have to take all the seats out and remove the carpet let it dry out for a few days and then put it back.

I am so pissed. When I bought the car from a different dealer, I remember there being this weird yellow dust / pollen in the cracks of everything when I got home. I guess the car must have been in some sort of area with a lot of pollen - perhaps that got into the drain tube as well. I don't know. Seems odd this would happen and apparently been going on for a very long time - and this past spring is the first one I have had the car.

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
That sucks manny. For some reason I thought that there is somewhat of a metal dam just under the front of the passenger seat that would keep any water flowing to the back, but maybe it doesn't go all the way across.

You are absolutely right, that yellow pollen (I get tons of it from a cedar tree in my yard if I park under it....I don't). When it gets wet it makes a thick paste and drys like cement. That must have worked it's way into the tube.

Good luck with the moldy carpet. It can be a real bitch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That sucks manny. For some reason I thought that there is somewhat of a metal dam just under the front of the passenger seat that would keep any water flowing to the back, but maybe it doesn't go all the way across.

You are absolutely right, that yellow pollen (I get tons of it from a cedar tree in my yard if I park under it....I don't). When it gets wet it makes a thick paste and drys like cement. That must have worked it's way into the tube.

Good luck with the moldy carpet. It can be a real bitch.
This is what confuses me - there is a metal dam underneath the passenger seat and I didn't feel any wetness on the passenger side front area (although the area underneath the seat was wet). My only thought is that I drove my car on a long distance trip in early July and that the AC was running full blast for most of it and that's probably when enough water passed for me to notice.

The other thing that confuses me is how this could have happened with a relatively new car that isn't exposed to much pollen - certainly not any more than car in NYC that are parked outside for years. I suspect the dealer I bought it from - as there as this yellow dust already in cracks and such.

Do I have any recourse?

·
Registered
2014 White Exclaim Tallahassee, FL
742 Posts
Check your warranty book. There is also a 36 three year bumper to bumper to bumper warranty. You should still be in that envelope.
I thought it was a 5 year/60K warranty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Check your warranty book. There is also a 36 three year bumper to bumper to bumper warranty. You should still be in that envelope.
It's not covered under warranty since they define it as an outside influence - basically the elements on the outside caused the blockage.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts