Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went there to see the 2016 Sorrento because I had heard so much about it, thought I would give it a try. The LX (4 cyl) Sorrento does not have the same set of bells and whistles as the Soul does but it has enough so that one would not miss what is not there. I drove one up onto the interstate because I was skeptical about the 2.4 four having enough power for the vehicle but damned if it doesn't! Also found out that there is about a 6K price difference between the SE (below) and the Sorrento, as outfitted. Not as much as I thought there would be.

While I was there, I saw the Caribbean Blue SE, nice color but once I saw it in public it did not light my fire as much as a Kia Pick up would have or as much as I thought (BTW, KIA does make three models of pickups, but none are sold in the US, go figure). But then the Sorrento has the rear seat cup holder and was missing the auto folding mirrors just like the 2015 Soul. BTW I told them that taking those mirrors out of the 2015 was a marketing mistake. The dealership did not seem to even recognize that they were missing.

Long and short of it is that after a drive around town in the Sorrento, I really believe that the Soul has met its match, albeit it is another Kia. Sportage? Whats that?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,524 Posts
So when are you going to buy the Sorento? You know you want it Shaggy.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Soul for a reason, or it was for a reason. Getting my invalid wife into anything larger, or smaller was not going to happen. The XB and the Soul were perfect for moving her around plus my own limitations, while not sever, are enough so that ingress and egress are an issue. But the higher climb-in height of the Sorrento would be a no no for my wife, that is all in the past now.

Being that I am no longer constrained by some issues, you may be right. A nice BIG, bright RED LX (No I am not into fully loaded cars and don't want all of the technology jpstinne) sitting my my garage once I get the old freezer out (that I also do not need anymore) may just be the ticket. The freezer costs me about 40 bucks a month and that is a little toward the monthly payment of 195.00 I think I would have. But I move slowly, unlike my bowels, so we just have to wait and see.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
I had a Sorrento for a few hours when the Soul was in for a long-duration service. It felt heavy and unresponsive compared to the Soul and the windshield rake made getting in and out modern sedan-like. Not my cup of tea thank you.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a Sorrento for a few hours when the Soul was in for a long-duration service. It felt heavy and unresponsive compared to the Soul and the windshield rake made getting in and out modern sedan-like. Not my cup of tea thank you.
Curious, I read reviews on the 2014/15 and they were far from complimentary. The 2016 got a whole lot better reviews and I have not finished my research. Did you have a 2015 or earlier loaner, or was it a 2016?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have the Soul for a reason, or it was for a reason. Getting my invalid wife into anything larger, or smaller was not going to happen. The XB and the Soul were perfect for moving her around plus my own limitations, while not sever, are enough so that ingress and egress are an issue. But the higher climb-in height of the Sorrento would be a no no for my wife, that is all in the past now.

Being that I am no longer constrained by some issues, you may be right. A nice BIG, bright RED LX (No I am not into fully loaded cars and don't want all of the technology jpstinne) sitting my my garage once I get the old freezer out (that I also do not need anymore) may just be the ticket. The freezer costs me about 40 bucks a month and that is a little toward the monthly payment of 195.00 I think I would have. But I move slowly, unlike my bowels, so we just have to wait and see.
YES YOU DO! Now get the damm thing and treat yourself. You have had a hell of last 12 months my friend.
I can drive you to the dealer if you want!
John

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Ok Shaggy, I just built mine online. Top of the line of course, only $44K - just a shade under my Odyssey Elite. I am ready when you are!!

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
YES YOU DO! Now get the damm thing and treat yourself. You have had a hell of last 12 months my friend.
I can drive you to the dealer if you want!
John
Thanks for the invite but this dealer has four lots around the area, and will either come pick me up or deliver the car to my door step. The entire deal can be done via phone or internet except the final signature. I remember when you got your Soul, I was ready to come up there and take you to the dealer! Do you even have a KIA dealership in Columbus? My grandparents are still there and I have not visited them yet.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok Shaggy, I just built mine online. Top of the line of course, only $44K - just a shade under my Odyssey Elite. I am ready when you are!!
For 44K, I would go for the Sedona, if I needed or wanted it. BTW, Motor Trend did a run off of the five large mini vans still on the market and picked the KIA over the Honda. Just thought you might like to know, heh-heh :)

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,524 Posts
Shaggy I have been looking at a 2016 LX FWD tonight. Getting the backup camera seems worth it for the larger rig.

It's only $25k and change. You know this is right for you. Of course, you may have your sights on AWD?

Sorento.jpg

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks for the invite but this dealer has four lots around the area, and will either come pick me up or deliver the car to my door step. The entire deal can be done via phone or internet except the final signature. I remember when you got your Soul, I was ready to come up there and take you to the dealer! Do you even have a KIA dealership in Columbus? My grandparents are still there and I have not visited them yet.
There are 6 Kia dealers in Columbus - tons of competition!

I hope you do come up for a visit, I would love to get together! My treat!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
For 44K, I would go for the Sedona, if I needed or wanted it. BTW, Motor Trend did a run off of the five large mini vans still on the market and picked the KIA over the Honda. Just thought you might like to know, heh-heh :)
I did see that and I really wanted to get the Sedona but the Odyssey is better for kids - 2nd and 3rd rows are more functional. The Sedona wins in the front seat by a big margin but it seems Kia modeled the Sedona after the Sienna as it has the same compromises in the 2nd and 3rd rows. I am very happy with the Odyssey but I did want to the Sedona to be the van - it just wasn't for me.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did see that and I really wanted to get the Sedona but the Odyssey is better for kids - 2nd and 3rd rows are more functional. The Sedona wins in the front seat by a big margin but it seems Kia modeled the Sedona after the Sienna as it has the same compromises in the 2nd and 3rd rows. I am very happy with the Odyssey but I did want to the Sedona to be the van - it just wasn't for me.
Yes, they made that point too. I priced out the fully loaded Sorento and got 48K and counting. What did you miss? If you left off some stuff, I will be highly disappointed. :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I forgot the AWD. Here is the one I just built:
2016 Sorento Limited V6 $41,300[SUP]*[/SUP]
snow white pearl
$200
with black metallic Nappa Leather

Upgrades 1
AWD
$1,800

PACKAGES 1