Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I had issues with my Plus running like crap, sluggish, engine shaking, shifting at the wrong times, poor gas mileage, etc... Took it to the dealership while it was under warranty and all I got out of them was, "Well, if it ain't a throwin no code, there's nothing we can do." Eventually, my battery died, and required replacement. It was like waving a magic wand over the car, performance came back, it shifted good, it was running like when I bought it. Recently, it started acting up again, the battery should be good, so, as an experiment, I unhooked the battery, let it set for five minutes, then reconnected it. Magic wand time again! Great! That lasted for a bit, now it's having issues again, if I disconnect, then, reconnect, magic wand all over again. I am starting to wonder if I am resetting something electronic. Anybody got a clue as to what it might be?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Also try another dealer. Car does not need to "throw codes" to be diagnosed and repaired properly. E.g., warped rotors don't usually throw a code and yet those are easily diagnosed and repaired. Some dealers suck.

Greg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also try another dealer. Car does not need to "throw codes" to be diagnosed and repaired properly. E.g., warped rotors don't usually throw a code and yet those are easily diagnosed and repaired. Some dealers suck.

Greg
Most dealers in this area do suck. They don't have to be good because the market in this area is so strong. They did a recall service before this and the wrench got my steering wheel crooked, had to have them correct that. Sloppy work... 🙄 I'm just trying to sort this myself. Kia corporate was no help during the warranty period. If this helps at all, during the episodes I hear a noise that sounds like, "chingy, chingy chingy," sorta like a hard drive noise. The moment I reset, it goes quiet.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,998 Posts
Hey Red, what's the State of Health of the battery now? A low battery, or grounding problems, can cause weird electronics issues (as you know, the computer runs the show!). I would just get a tester on that battery and check State of Health & Charge. Make sure the alternator is charging that battery up too.

All the best.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Red, what's the State of Health of the battery now? A low battery, or grounding problems, can cause weird electronics issues (as you know, the computer runs the show!). I would just get a tester on that battery and check State of Health & Charge. Make sure the alternator is charging that battery up too.

All the best.
The battery was new just before Thanksgiving, 2019, got it from Batteries Plus, going there tomorrow morning. If they can't check the charging, I'll go see my friend at O'Reilly's, and have them check the charging. The battery connections are good, checked those right off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did have the battery checked, it was ok, they said it could use a charge, but had all the cranking amps it was supposed to. They did check the alternator, said it was ok, but fumbled around a bit checking it, so I will see my bud at O’Riley's, have them check it. This is a loaded Redzone, so it has nav, backup camera, etc., perhaps the electrical gear drains the battery too much. This was a good car at the start when I bought it, but Kia service, and their dealerships are garbage, this issue should have been addressed when I asked, and I shouldn’t have to be correcting this myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A while back I had issues with my Plus running like crap, sluggish, engine shaking, shifting at the wrong times, poor gas mileage, etc... Took it to the dealership while it was under warranty and all I got out of them was, "Well, if it ain't a throwin no code, there's nothing we can do." Eventually, my battery died, and required replacement. It was like waving a magic wand over the car, performance came back, it shifted good, it was running like when I bought it. Recently, it started acting up again, the battery should be good, so, as an experiment, I unhooked the battery, let it set for five minutes, then reconnected it. Magic wand time again! Great! That lasted for a bit, now it's having issues again, if I disconnect, then, reconnect, magic wand all over again. I am starting to wonder if I am resetting something electronic. Anybody got a clue as to what it might be?
send a flare out to the manufacturer and tell them what is going on... they will get in the dealer's grill for sure

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
297 Posts
Perhaps it is time to acquire an OBD II scanner that will bluetooth connect to the smartphone?

Might be worthwhile learning how to maintain electrical connections too.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did that, all I got was the standard corporate B.S., "We rely on our dealers to handle service issues. Have you tried another dealer?" Kia dealers are as sketchy as a used car lot.

·
Registered
221 Posts
"Kia dealers are as sketchy as a used car lot"

Yep! Our local dealer has as many used (auction) cars as new Kia models. Anything to make a buck! ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hence their harassment of me several times a month to come in for a "special offer," trade.... 🤬

·
Registered
780 Posts
Invest in a multimeter.
Check battery voltages:
Key off (12.8 if AGM, 12.6 if not)
Key on (12.5+ immediately after key turned on and battery fully charged)
While cranking (not less than 10.5)
At idle (over 13)
At 2000 RPMs (over 13.5, probably 13.8 +), but not over 14.8

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Invest in a multimeter.
Check battery voltages:
Key off (12.8 if AGM, 12.6 if not)
Key on (12.5+ immediately after key turned on and battery fully charged)
While cranking (not less than 10.5)
At idle (over 13)
At 2000 RPMs (over 13.5, probably 13.8 +), but not over 14.8
I have a very good multimeter, so I can do that. Modern engines are so sensitive to voltage these days. An example would be on the Victory motorcycle Vision/Cross Roads/Cross Country platform, during setup, most shops would not bother with putting lock washers on the terminal nuts. Without the lock washers the leads would get loose, dropping voltage, and making the fuel injection malfunction. I found that little issue on my second day of ownership when I attached my battery tender leads.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I did have the battery checked, it was ok, they said it could use a charge, but had all the cranking amps it was supposed to. They did check the alternator, said it was ok, but fumbled around a bit checking it, so I will see my bud at O’Riley's, have them check it. This is a loaded Redzone, so it has nav, backup camera, etc., perhaps the electrical gear drains the battery too much. This was a good car at the start when I bought it, but Kia service, and their dealerships are garbage, this issue should have been addressed when I asked, and I shouldn’t have to be correcting this myself.
All the gizmos do pull the battery. My 2018 1 mil may need a battery soon simply from all the electronics.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,004 Posts
I upgraded all my ground cables and cleaned the contact points of any paint.

·
Registered
48 Posts
"Gizmos" do not kill a battery or shorten its life. NOT if the battery and alternator are properly designed. I worked at O'Reillys and occasionally a new battery is weak or defective when brand new. It happens and needs to be load tested...a multimeter won't get 'er done. Have your buddy load test the battery and the alternator.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts