Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this strange, white powdery residue in my interior that looks like it's coming from the center console a month after buying my Soul. I figured maybe something got spilled there when they put it my new rear windshield at the service department of my dealer. No big deal, I used some auto upholstery stuff and it came off with some effort. Well, it's back, and I can't figure out what it could be. Is it even possible for something to leak through the bottom of the car? I checked the carpet near the firewall, and there's nothing there, this is only around the center console, and it runs into the floor of the back seat on the passenger side.

Under the seat, right below the base of the center console:

The rear-left bolt of the front passenger seat, on the floor of the back seat.

Sitting in the backseat, looking down. You can see that the residue runs all the way from the center console across the entire carpet of the back seat, and gets lighter and lighter as it goes along.

There is rarely ever food or drink in the car, and nothing has ever been spilled, so it isn't a sugary stain that is causing the residue to keep showing up. I've heard about some anti-freeze issues, but it wouldn't be leaking into the interior from this area. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
same issue with mine

I noticed this strange, white powdery residue in my interior that looks like it's coming from the center console a month after buying my Soul. I figured maybe something got spilled there when they put it my new rear windshield at the service department of my dealer. No big deal, I used some auto upholstery stuff and it came off with some effort. Well, it's back, and I can't figure out what it could be. Is it even possible for something to leak through the bottom of the car? I checked the carpet near the firewall, and there's nothing there, this is only around the center console, and it runs into the floor of the back seat on the passenger side.

Under the seat, right below the base of the center console:

The rear-left bolt of the front passenger seat, on the floor of the back seat.

Sitting in the backseat, looking down. You can see that the residue runs all the way from the center console across the entire carpet of the back seat, and gets lighter and lighter as it goes along.

There is rarely ever food or drink in the car, and nothing has ever been spilled, so it isn't a sugary stain that is causing the residue to keep showing up. I've heard about some anti-freeze issues, but it wouldn't be leaking into the interior from this area. Any ideas?
ive got the same problem with mine ,took to my dealers and they have ordered me a new carpet ,still waiting for it though since febuary

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
maybe they use some sort of talcum powder type lubrication during assembly????...just a guess......does it vacuum up or is it stained on the carpet?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I had some of that under my weathertec mats and I thought it was maybe a mold from not getting any air. I will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Looks like you have a bag under your seat? There is an air vent that comes out toward the back under your seat and it may be blocked???

·
Registered
728 Posts
it looks like a salt ring.
salt stains can take a long time to show up.
and I will guess that you park on an incline.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Probably someone was eating powder sugar donuts in your car and you didn't even know it. :D J/K
Well, anyway hope nothing major damaged underneath there. Just complain to the dealer and be gentle. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Possible that some ac condensation is not draining correctly & leaking into car. I had a new '83 Olds Firenza wagon & noticed water in rear floor area. It was running back all the way from the firewall & eventually got stinky. Dealer removed,cleaned carpet & fixed leak. Said it was from rain water & wasn't going to be warranty! I insisted ''it hasn't rained in 5 days & carpet had dried till I used ac last 2 days.'' They finally covered it. Good luck w/source & cure.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Possible that some ac condensation is not draining correctly & leaking into car. I had a new '83 Olds Firenza wagon & noticed water in rear floor area. It was running back all the way from the firewall & eventually got stinky. Dealer removed,cleaned carpet & fixed leak. Said it was from rain water & wasn't going to be warranty! I insisted ''it hasn't rained in 5 days & carpet had dried till I used ac last 2 days.'' They finally covered it. Good luck w/source & cure.
I have a strange smell in my car. I took it in and the dealer poured disinfectant down the condenser and it smelled nice for a few days but the smell is coming back. Maybe I should print the pic and ask the dealer to look deeper.

·
Registered
992 Posts
white stain

Looks like the same thing happening in mine; I've just noticed it a couple weeks ago on the passenger-side front just right of the transmission housing. No idea what it is yet.

Greg

·
Registered
921 Posts
thats really weird residue that appeared out of nowhere! I guess its time to bring it into the dealer and make sure they fix it!!

the only way to roll down the highway..........

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem on the same side-front and back. I live in BC - apparently, Kia has never heard of the problem before. Has anyone found out what the white residue is and what is the cause. The carpet is also damp.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've seen the white residue during pre-delivery inspections on other manufactures before - it was caused by lithiam grease put on the seat tracks during assembly and everytime you moved the seat the residue would 'spray' (compresion of the grease inbetween the sliders) on the carpet under and behind the seats. Check along the seat track and see how messy it is.
If it's dry a residue check to see if it's comeing out of the seat itself - could be an issue with the air bag system in the seats.
If it's wet (not greasy), then it's probably coming from a loose/missing seal under the car, like a floor plug or shifter gasket that is allowing road water to work its way in.

At anyrate, the dealer should fix. You might have to do your own investigative work to make sure they fix the right thing.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts