Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed when driving my 2013 Kia Soul over some small bumps there’s a small thump noise, I assumed it was the front struts going bad, I bought brand new struts with springs and they came as a complete package already assembled you just bolt them up and go!, well the noise is still there!, I’ve also replaced sway bar links and sway bar bushings, I replaced the lower control arms on driver and passenger side as well, I torqued everything completely to what the Kia manufacture and Kia dealers have said and I’m confused on where the noise is coming from? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I noticed when driving my 2013 Kia Soul over some small bumps there’s a small thump noise, I assumed it was the front struts going bad, I bought brand new struts with springs and they came as a complete package already assembled you just bolt them up and go!, well the noise is still there!, I’ve also replaced sway bar links and sway bar bushings, I replaced the lower control arms on driver and passenger side as well, I torqued everything completely to what the Kia manufacture and Kia dealers have said and I’m confused on where the noise is coming from? Any suggestions?
Did your lower control arms come with new ball joints? Are they cheap aftermarket crap? I went that route once on my 2011 and the ball joints didn’t even last 6 months before going bad. Use quality parts! It could also be a worn out engine mount(s) or outer tie rod end too.

Reactions: Swanson.Jacob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did your lower control arms come with new ball joints? Are they cheap aftermarket crap? I went that route once on my 2011 and the ball joints didn’t even last 6 months before going bad. Use quality parts! It could also be a worn out engine mount(s) or outer tie rod end too.
Thanks for the honest and upfront reply, I really appreciate it! :), I bought the parts from a suspension company called TRQ, they make great reliable parts!, I always avoid buying cheap Chinese parts because we all know how that ends up going hahaha!, I was thinking the exact same maybe the motor mounts need to be replaced and I want to change the lower torque strut mount that’s under the driver side it connects to the subframe, sometimes the rubber bushing goes bad, I’ll keep you updated with the results!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Thanks for the honest and upfront reply, I really appreciate it! :), I bought the parts from a suspension company called TRQ, they make great reliable parts!, I always avoid buying cheap Chinese parts because we all know how that ends up going hahaha!, I was thinking the exact same maybe the motor mounts need to be replaced and I want to change the lower torque strut mount that’s under the driver side it connects to the subframe, sometimes the rubber bushing goes bad, I’ll keep you updated with the results!
Unfortunately TRQ was the brand I used too. In 2020 I ordered a kit from 1a Auto. It came with struts assemblies, sway links, outer tie rods and lower control arms (with ball joints). All of these parts were great at first but didn’t last over a year and some failed sooner like the ball joints. I had to replace all these parts again and the only TRQ part left on the car is the outer tie rods and I wouldn’t be surprised if I have to replace them again too. So my experience with TRQ wasn’t very good. Hopefully you are having better luck with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I changed the tie rod ends and the noise still exist!, I’m convinced it’s either the new struts or lower control arms I purchased, which really sucks!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
So I changed the tie rod ends and the noise still exist!, I’m convinced it’s either the new struts or lower control arms I purchased, which really sucks!
That’s possible, I got a bad strut assembly (different brand, on my old Elantra) the strut mount was noisy and once it was replaced with a different one it was fine, but it was a creaky squeaky noise and not a thump. Have you checked for worn engine mounts? Don’t throw new ones on if you don’t need them but you are running out of things to replace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s possible, I got a bad strut assembly (different brand, on my old Elantra) the strut mount was noisy and once it was replaced with a different one it was fine, but it was a creaky squeaky noise and not a thump. Have you checked for worn engine mounts? Don’t throw new ones on if you don’t need them but you are running out of things to replace.
Good news!, after buying new struts and all the internal parts from Kia, $520 later, I managed to fix the problem!, I learned a huge lesson and will never buy any part for my car unless it’s OEM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts