Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today I received a Bluetooth vehicle health monitor in the mail and upon connecting it to my soul it automatically detected a strange code. It said that code C0300 was detected. According to the internet C0300 doesn't even apply to Kias and there are no dash lights illuminated.

Does this sound like a crappy piece of tech gone haywire/defective unit or should I actually get the car looked at?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Are you certain it isn't PO300 a more common code? CO300 appears to be something different depending on the car. For some it is a rear speed sensor problem, for some a misfire much like PO300... Go to one of the auto parts stores that will put their code reader on and see what they get.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the device lists it as C0300 and I checked it multiple times. But there isn't any sort of engine light and it illuminates during the check phase at start-up so I know it works.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The service manual doesn't reference CO300 (nor most other specific codes), but generically it refers to a rear speed sensor malfunction. So it would illuminate the ABS light, not the MIL, if the code were valid.

Do the Brake and ABS lights illuminate briefly when you start the car (they should)? It's possible that it's an actual fault but the indicator lamp isn't working.

I'd either hook up another scanner or reader to the system to see if it also pulls the code; or if I didn't have one, I'd ask an honest mechanic or parts store to check it. If it doesn't read the same code, then probably your reader is malfunctioning. If it does, you'll have to investigate further.

I've never had that code on a KIA, but generically, it's often caused by the sensors being dirty. The sensor can be removed and cleaned with a clean rag (no solvents), or washed with detergent and water and rinsed.

That assumes that the code is valid, of course. If a known-good reader or scanner doesn't read it, I'd return the tool for a refund.

Richard

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both the brake and ABS lights illuminated upon ignition so I don't believe those are malfunctioning. I'll take it to get read by a more trusted tool in the next few days.

·
Registered
354 Posts
So, today I received a Bluetooth vehicle health monitor in the mail and upon connecting it to my soul it automatically detected a strange code. It said that code C0300 was detected. According to the internet C0300 doesn't even apply to Kias and there are no dash lights illuminated.

Does this sound like a crappy piece of tech gone haywire/defective unit or should I actually get the car looked at?

Which ODB2 reader did you buy? Could it just be faulty?

·
Registered
354 Posts
It was just a cheap one that I got free from a company that was offering them.

I asked because I've been looking into them—the plug-in ones that communicate over BT to your phone—and they're not all equal. Some of the cheaper have issues with BT, let alone pulling the codes. Maybe you can find yours on Amazon and see what others gave to say about it before worrying about the codes it gives you? This one seems to work the best if it's paired with good software, such as Torque Pro. There's also plenty of YouTube videos supporting its accuracy. 👍

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used two devices and both of them show C0300 error codes for my 2011 Soul +. It also has my traction control light on when the code comes up. I've not done much research yet on this but I have a suspicion on what could be causing it. The c0300 code comes up and the traction control light comes on about 10-15 minutes after I turn my headlights on and doesnt shut off until after i turn the car off. When i drive during the day without lights no error no light. This never happened until I started changing all my bulbs with LEDs. I did head lights , rear blinkers, reverse, and plate light with no error ever showing. After I changed the brake lights, boom there it is. I'm not very knowledgeable on the mechanics aspects of cars but my guess is since the car was not made with led lights and pretty sure they dodnt start appearing until the 2012 exclaim maybe the car is throwing a false error because of the voltage difference in the bulbs. I did test this theory and it did stop when I took out the led brake lights and replace with the normal ones. Does any of this relate to your issue with the C0300 code and having non factory installed led bulbs?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts