Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm a newbie on this site. Wife and I are owners of a 2014 Kia Soul. It's the Latte color. We looked and pondered for around 2 years and finally took the plunge! We really enjoy driving it. Anyway enough of the butter on thick and on to the problem. We waxed our Soul with a "Mothers" brand wax and couldn't help getting it on the black grille and insert in spots. It won't come off. What do we do?? Is there a fix or is there a special wax we are to use on our Soul? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all,

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Welcome to KSF.

Exactly which Mothers wax did you get? A lot of older style waxes will leave a white residue on black plastic like the Soul bumpers.
I use Armor-All Extreme Shield Wax and you can put it on every surface, even in sunlight and easily polish off leaving no residue at all on anything black on the car.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
You probably have a white residue on the black plastic.
Guess you learned that wax or polish on "black trim" makes a mess.
It needs to be emulsified.I'd try something like WD-40 on the grill.
Just spray it on to see if it disolves the wax.I'd just coat the entire
grille with the WD-40.It will wash off after awhile.
Once you get the grille clean and if you have other "black trim" areas,the best
product I've found to use is Auto Glymn rubber &plastic coating.Just pray it on
or use a sponge.Works great on tire too.No cheap shiny finish.Just a semi-gloss that really
lasts.I use it on the black on my bumpers.May have to order online.Amazon and others
carry it.PepBoys did handle.Its from the UK.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If there's not a lot an eraser works pretty
Good. Most waxes now days will tell you it doesn't leave wax residues

·
Registered
509 Posts
if it's textured plastic, an old soft toothbrush works well, too.

If you've tried all this and it's still not working well, Mother's products are now owned by 3M. You can visit their Web site or call 1-800-3MHELPS and speak with someone who has the answer or can get it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Most "modern" waxes that claim to not leave a residue are NOT waxes but silicones. Read the ingredients to be sure. Carnauba wax works best for ease and shine factor in my opinion, but use whatever you like. Wax leaves a residue, and like others have already said, you'll need to dissolve that wax by using a solvent: goof off, WD-40, or brake or carburetor cleaner. Be careful using the stronger solvents because they can damage paint AND plastic. Brake cleaner is powerful stuff but melts some plastics. Goof off will damage paint, as will carb cleaner if you aren't careful and leave it on too long. Always try a little somewhere inconspicuous first. Once removed, use a product that coats the black plastic (like "Back to Black") and the wax won't stay on the plastic the next time you get sloppy.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
780 Posts
I use ONLY Meguiar products=Great Results and no white residue.:Yay:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just found this thread after I got wax all over the metal to plastic joined areas on my new Soul. Nothing was taking it off so I thought - well - it is wax. So I boiled some water - added cold water until it was as hot as I could stand to touch it. Used a sponge and that hot water and it softened the wax enough to wipe it away without damaging the plastic. Takes some elbow grease though! Now I use painters tape before I wax.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Just found this thread after I got wax all over the metal to plastic joined areas on my new Soul. Nothing was taking it off so I thought - well - it is wax. So I boiled some water - added cold water until it was as hot as I could stand to touch it. Used a sponge and that hot water and it softened the wax enough to wipe it away without damaging the plastic. Takes some elbow grease though! Now I use painters tape before I wax.
Please do not resurrect old post they are left there for reference.
Acrylics and plastics can be permanently degrade by many waxes polish and cleaners .
The easy way is to read the tin and look for products that are safe for acrylics as mentioned most Meguires products do.
Note Cleaners window cleaners included will attack pillars and grills.

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts