Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scenario* Soul was parked outside for about a week, during the week some storms with heavy rain came through. Upon getting in the car the smell of mildew was strong and it turned out that the passenger footwell was soppy wet (looked like it ran down the side of the center console).

*possible red herring: while it was having the air bag recall done the mechanic pulled the glove box out to show how dirty the filter cabin wasn't.

Is this a probable leak? Or a drain hose clogged? If so for either where to start looking for a result? Or could something have been 'pinched' by the dealer when they pulled the glove box out?

Thanks in advance!

:)

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,474 Posts
Any water in the glove box itself? I'd suspect the rubber molding around the passenger door and frame. If nothing else a good time to clean that area and check for tears or breaks.

If it came down the center console, check the molding around the winshield. Does the moisture seem like it has any antifreeze in it? If so, that would indicate some type of hose or connector leak from the heater under the dash.

Be sure to get that wet carpet out of the car and cleaned and dried. See if the moisture travelled to under the seat or back seats too. It has to be dried or it will only get nastier, fast.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,085 Posts
Sounds like a stopped up AC drain line.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hi the assumption all doors and sun roof were closed and the floor well on passenger side is wettest would lead me to think that the drains on your heater air intake box below the windscreen under the bonnet.
Particularly if you park in tree lined areas debris builds up in box blocking drainage and causes foul smelling water to collect. If you have had storm this may have overflowed into your air intake and through air con heat exchanger and drained through first lower vents.

Jeff

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a stopped up AC drain line.
This turned out to be the culprit, a blast of the air gun deposited a good amount of water and crud to come spilling out. In case anyone is interested the hose exits the back side of the subframe, right of the cat converter on 2.0L first gen souls.

below the windscreen under the bonnet.
Particularly if you park in tree lined areas debris builds up in box blocking drainage and causes foul smelling water to collect. If you have had storm this may have overflowed into your air intake and through air con heat exchanger and drained through first lower vents.
I try to make a point to keep this area clean as the car seems to sleep under trees almost all the time :D

Thanks all for the speedy replies!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
glad to hear you got it sorted and for letting us know. I always check when using my a/c to make sure I see moisture under the vehicle when I park it.

Here's my location of that drain line:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts