Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had not been driving for a few days and when I got into my car, water was pouring in around the back seat dome light. The back seat was soaked through like a sponge and the back floor was wet. I have an dealer-installed sunroof, which was not open (if actually closes automatically when the car is turned off). I took my car to a Kia dealer, who checked the sunroof seals and said they are tight and the drain plugs are clean. What other issue could be causing water to pool inside the roof of my car and find the lowest point, the dome light, to escape from?
IMG_0172.jpg IMG_0174.jpg IMG_0176.jpg IMG_0177.jpg

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,639 Posts
This is one reason I don't like holes in roofs.

I would double-check the dealer, because that water ain't coming in through the wheel wells or exhaust pipe, I can guarantee that.

The dealer cut a hole in the roof.
It rained.
Water came in.
And it's NOT the s'n'oof HE installed? Better double-check. What sort of guarantee did you get with it?

Also you could have a professional s'n'oof installer check it, probably for a fee. This is not a problem that can be allowed to remain unfixed.

Oh, Welcome to Soul Forums!

Reactions: neiljrosen

·
Registered
227 Posts
Regardless that dealer says it is certainly sunroof. Othervise it may be antenna. If I am right there are no other through holes in the roof.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
DEALER installed sunroof...?
Just how many sunroofs have they installed?
I had a sunroof installed "by a dealer" years ago for a daughter,did not have
any problems. When they say "dealer installed" that usually means they took
the vehicle to a shop that does the job.
Is there no warranty on this install? IT SHOULD NOT BE YOUR PROBLEM.

Odviously the roof is not sealing right.

Was this a Kia dealer? A used car dealer?

I'd go directly to the owner.

Again,it is not your responsibility to find out how it happened.
It happened--fix it and any surrounding parts&materials that are damaged.

Better Call Saul.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
details on your vehicle and larger photos, you can hardly see anything even when you click on the photo.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,639 Posts
details on your vehicle and larger photos, you can hardly see anything even when you click on the photo.
Can't you feel the rain?

·
Registered
15,164 Posts
okay, I checked the video, that is some leak - you mean that they can't find the problem on a leak that dramatic! Very unusual to have a dealer installed sunroof as they are usually OEM.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Is it OEM or aftermarket? Did this occur with the first rain after install or after some time?

They checked that...
the drain plugs are clean.
But did they check if all the sunroof drains are connected at the sunroof?? Or maybe lines are pinched?? Assuming there are drains on this sunroof.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Belinda,I sure would be livid (understatement)if this type of leak happen to me.
Possibly I understand more than the average vehicle owner on this type of installation
since over the years I have done numerous body mods to my vehicles.
However,I would not attempt to install a OEM sunroof kit on any newer vehicle.
There is just too much involved.And,significant damage(as you have learned)if its screwed up.
Maybe I'd try to do one of them pop up sunroofs that were all the rage in the 80's on a beater.

Going back to your original message,you stated that the sunroof closes "automatically" when
the vehicle is turned off. Are you sure? Maybe this is the source of the leak.
I'd think there should be adjustments in the mechanism available that allows the roof
to seal tighter(or looser).The comments about the drain tubes are valid. Where does the water go
if it is trapped in the recesses of the sunroof tracks etc.? I'd check that auto-closing seal first.

As mentioned,doing a sunroof install is not for the average DIY'r. You have to accurately measure the position
of the unit on the vehicle. Should be a template supplied. Removal of the headliner or at least part of same.
Proper panel cutter for the hole to be cut.On a OEM unit,proper wiring,switches along with all associated
trim to make the unit look like it came on the vehicle.
Not easy stuff.
As mentioned in my previous post,I went through a similar sunroof install on a car I was buying for a daughter.
It was a Mitsu. Eclipse. I was in a "just had to have" situation with the daughter. I negotiated with the dealer
on the sunroof as,needed it. Or,it was a deal breaker. The dealer obliged at a reasonable cost. He shrugged
and said the install was no big deal.They did them all the time. They sent the car out to a specialty shop.
I'd get it back in two days. I did. I was amazed on how good the install looked.
When it looks right,it looks like it was on the car in the first place,period.
It worked great. It never leaked.
All was good until the daughter wrecked the car several months later.
Lesson learned.Never buy that type of car for a teenager.

Think practical. Don't purchase heavy on being cool.

Buy a Soul.

·
Registered
15,164 Posts
Is it OEM or aftermarket? Did this occur with the first rain after install or after some time?

They checked that... But did they check if all the sunroof drains are connected at the sunroof?? Or maybe lines are pinched?? Assuming there are drains on this sunroof.
she said a "dealer-installed sunroof"

I had the factory sunroof in my last Soul and there are drains that run down the A pillars as far as I could tell, based on where water came out when I put a bit in the channel with it open. Why are they not able to easily test for this?
I find this hard to believe that you would get this much water from the antenna base and why would it have to be removed for a sun roof installation.

That headliner needs to be removed (it could be ruined by now anyway) and then it should be easily found where the water is coming in. There is only two entries on the roof for the water - new sunroof and antenna.

South Soul - I had one of those pop-up sunroofs installed on my old '84 Mercury Topaz, it worked great, cheap, nice and simple and no mechanics to get screwed up.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
It could also be the roof seams that are leaking. There are some trim pieces that cover a channel on both sides of the roof. You have to take off the rear tail light assemblies to get the trim off. It's pretty unlikely, but it's possible.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Con. There are no through holes under that trims except one that is for upper screw mount of taillight and I am not confident if this hole goes inside the interior.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Was thinking about this some more.
Looking at my 2013 Soul,the roof does not have a flat surface.
There are indentions/valleys in the metal for the purpose to give the roof
rigidity and just to make it look good.
Every sun roof I have seen is installed on a flush surface.
Most OEM sun roofs slide back into the space between the underside of the roof
and the headliner. However,there must be a flush fiitted trim or
a build up of sorts to give the closed roof a seamless look when closed.
I'd think sunroofs done at the factory would have this.
Source of leak?

Aftermarket sun roofs that do not use the cut piece from the roof(uses tinted glass)usually
pop up and slide back over the roof.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts