Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you keep your soul pure?

What sort of wash procedure do you undertake? Do you use the laser zapper wash? Or the old-fashioned flappy wash? Hand-only?

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
hand wash, double bucket technique so only clean water goes on car..... followed with a nice chamois to dry it off.... then a wax every few weeks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
hand wash, double bucket technique so only clean water goes on car..... followed with a nice chamois to dry it off.... then a wax every few weeks.
^^^This is the way I do it also 'cept I only use 1 bucket. Oh, whats a laser zapper wash? Sounds dangerous..

·
Registered
509 Posts
Through the "touch-free" car wash when the principal driver remembers to -- or "forgets" to fill it up so that I get the car wash as I fill up. :p Waaaaaaaaaay too cold around here for too much of the year to be outside bucket-washing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
laser zapper is what I call the "touch free" wash. It uses lasers to scan the vehicle profile, and then hits it with high pressure water jets.

I'm torn between something that may blast the finish off and something like the old-school flappy fabric that might slap and scratch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We try not to go through any automatic car washes, and either hand wash at home, or use the car wash stations that provide everything to hand wash the car in the stall.

We dry with a squeegee and a soft towel.

·
Registered
231 Posts
What Tempest Said. Gets washed every weekend! It's my therapy and way cheaper than a shrink...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
way too cold here to wash outside with a bucket! some of the local places offer DIY supplies. seems to be the way to go. I tried the laser zap wash and it DID clean the car, but didn't remove the fine road film.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
What Tempest Said. Gets washed every weekend! It's my therapy and way cheaper than a shrink...
Totally agree.... washing my car is therapy....until i find a chip or a scratch......then i need therapy!!!!......lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Questions for Soul owners in the snow belt

Have the folks who use drive thru car washes during the winter had any issues with the antenna? I'm a little worried that it's going to get bent or broken...I suppose I could just take it off.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took mine off and put it back on after. No problems.

Righty-tighty lefty-loosey.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have a garage with a great drain, and a hose bib... hee hee hee!! B

Brand new virgin microfiber cloths only, destroyed by a Federally-approved security agency after each wash. Three buckets (one custom carnauba-infused lavender-scented soap, one softened water pre-rinse, and a bucket of hyper-softened water for final rinse). Steel wool on the bug stains and windows. Blot dry with a freshly-used cyclist's chamois.

Seriously, I do have the hose bib and garage, one microfiber pad rinsed thoroughly between swipes, single bucket, squeegee and old towel with spray wax n shine to keep from spotting. Bugs and nasties come off with Turtle Wax Bug Remover, or WD-40 /ineral spirits and a coat of wax after if they're really nasty greasy stains. Clay bar 2-3x/year if I feel like it. and LOTS of driving!

·
Registered
509 Posts
(one custom carnauba-infused lavender-scented soap, one softened water pre-rinse, and a bucket of hyper-softened water for final rinse)
Ahh, but are they organically-fed virgin carnaubas? :D

As for the antenna, it just unscrews from the base. I take mine off the Jetta and will be removing it from the Soul as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Does the bolt hole need to be covered? Has anyone looked into the shark fin antennas? I can't believe that "Shark" racing hasn't made one yet.

Ahh, but are they organically-fed virgin carnaubas? :D

As for the antenna, it just unscrews from the base. I take mine off the Jetta and will be removing it from the Soul as well.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Probably not. I mean, the antenna gets rained on all the time and it's not a gasketed fit (at least it isn't on my VW), so water (vapor) must be able to seep in.

Some of the more enterprising among my VW-driving brethren have figured out that certain Honda models have shark-fin antennas which fit and work with the VW radio. I wonder who among us will be energetic enough to try antennas from other cars to see what works?

·
Registered
47 Posts
How do you keep your soul pure?

What sort of wash procedure do you undertake? Do you use the laser zapper wash? Or the old-fashioned flappy wash? Hand-only?

Kenneth,

I would strongly NOT recommend using the car wash due to the hard water they put in their systems, as well as the products they use will dull and deteriorate your paint. Hand washing is by far the best method to clean your car. I have detailed for many years now, owning specialty Mustangs and classic MG's.

best products to use should be water-based. Best towels to use is microfiber as it is soft on paint, very effective and collects the most water.

If you want to keep the shine, I would either put in some serious elbow grease or get a small buffer with some fine and coarse polishing pads.

Best method to keep your shine and finish: Hand wash your car and wipe dry with a good microfiber. Then, you should clay bar the whole surface with a good wipe and shine spray or something water based. Add two coats of polish and then 1 coat of good sealant (With Carnuba). That will keep your shine and the paint will be protected from sun rays and dirt/grime for 5-9 months. CAR WAX IS NOT A GOOD POLISHING COMPOUND TO USE.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks! I'm certain i'll hit that process up in the Spring.

I had them detail the vehicle on delivery. I'm really looking for a way to keep winter gunk off on a weekly basis without scratching anything. It seems microfiber cloth and some buckets are the way to go, though I don't know if I can or should even bother in 10F weather!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Kenneth,

I would strongly NOT recommend using the car wash due to the hard water they put in their systems, as well as the products they use will dull and deteriorate your paint.
The hard water they put in their systems? And you know this how?

From my experience for any touchless wash system to actually work properly, for the chemicals to remove dirt the water has to be softened. Anyone advertising a spot free rinse will be using softened water. They often use reverse osmosis systems to soften and purify the water. Any detergent will work better with soft water. Allowing the wash to use less concentrate to get the same amount of suds, lubrication, and cleaning power.

Do a search here on car washing, I have written about ways to choose a decent car wash and when to use it.

Like everything, there are good car washes and bad. Good techniques for hand wash and ways to do real damage. I had 1986 Isuzu Impulse Turbo, that went through a car wash, at least two times a week, in winter more like three or four times a week, for 3 years. That finish was in great shape. I did hand polish it two to three times a year with a product called Race Glaze.

It is not a good idea for anyone to make generalizations.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Around here, road deicers and sand can wreak havoc with underbodies and fender liners and running gear. A run every week or two through an automatic car wash is an effective way of getting the old junk off the car before the next wave strikes. Even if it's not the best for the paint on the car, it's not that damaging to paint -- and the salt and grit will cause damage long before you ever see it, so it's best to get rid of it however you can. I'll guess that most bucket-washers are not giving the underbody that much attention (then again, if they can bucket-wash all winter, they likely do not face the onslaught of winter we have here).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts