Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been snowing here in RI and I've got gunk along the side of my brand new moss Soul, 56 miles on the odo, and probably salt and more gunk on the under carriage. i *might* wash it by hand, but i've turned the water off for the winter so ... is there any problem with me taking an almost new car down to the four-quarters-and-a-hand-er-eh-wash joint? and can you even get underneath at those places?

thanks!

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
whats wrong with carrying a bucket of water outside to do it?..... you still got water in the house i assume.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good point but if i *wanted* to go the quarters route, is there something inherently wrong with that at this stage in my new baby's life? given various and sundry, it'd just be sooo much easier for me.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Half the fun of the Soul is the gorgeous little details in the bodywork...... and the only way to examine them properly is with a soft soapy sponge and your finger tips.......

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
If you are referring to a do it yourself wash, nothing wrong with that at all. That's how i wash my Soul in the winter time. It's so much better that taking it to a car wash where the brushes will leave swirl marks all over your new baby.

In the do it yourself, just make sure the brush is free of grime and dirt before using it

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
oh...are we talking about the "car" body...... thought we were discussing girlfriends......lol

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Winter is a rotten time to pick up a new car. All you want to see is your new pride and joy gleaming. Here's our car 15 mins down the road from the dealers the day I picked it up last March.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
In the do it yourself, just make sure the brush is free of grime and dirt before using it[/QUOTE]

It cost $3 a cycle here now(3min.)! I spray the car with the wand then spray the foaming brush to clean it and switch the dial to feed the soap to the brush and scrub as much as I can with the one or so minute left on the timer. Then spend another $3 to give it a nice rinse getting behind moulding and under panels. If I could manage all that in 3min. to save $3 I would, cause I'm cheap.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I go to a place that cost me $2 per cycle so my car wash costs me $4 :)

I start by spraying with "SOAP" water all over the Soul..give it a once over then switch to the "FOAM BRUSH" and scrub for the rest of the time.
Then another $2 and select "WAX" and proceed to rinse my Soul with it instead of "RINSE"

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
There's one round the corner from my Henderson place that looks exactly like that, except it only costs me $2 total. I just put it on rinse to get the dust off and then hand dry it with lots of soft towels. No soap needed and the dry air here takes care of any residue moisture in minutes - especially in the summer.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I avoid the wax. I apply my own! I don't really want it all over the glass and black plastic. It was $2 per cycle before they renovated. Some poor excuse for a thief stole a loader hoe (Backhoe) and smashed the walls surrounding the change machine and tried to make off with a fistful of quarters!!! Ended up pulling the change machine across the parking lot, then abandoning it. He took off on foot being chased by a neighbouring business owner!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
And of coarse, I forgot to mention the soft cloth hand drying (many soft cloths) is a must! It lets you get up close and personal with your baby!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Some car washes take tokens instead of quarters in their machines...

You didn't hear this from me, but in some of those machines, arcade tokens work the same, and are a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Some car washes take tokens instead of quarters in their machines...

You didn't hear this from me, but in some of those machines, arcade tokens work the same, and are a lot cheaper.
Right and then they close down because too many people did that and we are all screwed. In fact one did close really close to my San Diego place, partly because too many low lifers were busting into their cash boxes and change machines. I think I can handle two bucks and with water costing more all the time and restrictions in some neighborhoods on washing your cars, I make it a point to support the coin car washes whenever I can. I would guess they are a dwindling asset.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
i was under the impression that you were supposed to allow the clear coat a year without washing in order for it to set properly - to eliminate roadrash - that approach has worked well on my soul so far - now going on to the third year of ownership and it still appears somewhat white -

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, I certainly don't have the problems you have. I live in FL. However, my "baby" is 1 week old tomorrow and it rained today which caused water spots that are whitish on the sides :( so tomorrow she will get her first bath. But the rain did help with the bugs :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts