Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think the problem could have been to have caused my 2011 Kia Soul to go up in flames last friday ( 6/14/13)? Everything was up to date as far as maintainance except for the oil change which I planning to do this week, however that can happen now :( I arrived to work at 4:50AM, 10 minutes later than usual, and everything seemed fine. No signs of any sorts or smells that would have hinted at something being wrong. There was a coworker that walked in with me at the same and didn't notice either. I signed in at work at 4:54AM and clocked in at 5:00AM. At this time I used the restroom and by the time I was done it was 5:04AM when my managers were running towards me telling me to head outside immediately because my car was on fire. I walked outside and sure enough, it was engulfed in flames. In about 5 more minutes, it was just an enormous fireball. It was so bad that the Soul caused the Corvette next to it to burn up as well. So in a span of about 12-14 minutes, my car sefl-destructed and I dont know why :( There was a witness after we had walked into work where a truck driver reported that there was a vehicle smoking out in the parking lot. This was at about 5:00AM.

From what I can see, the place of origin for the fire seems to be the left rear corner just above where you fill up.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,119 Posts
Wow that's terrible! So sorry the this happened, at least it wasn't in a garage or something. I feel for the Corvette owner too. Was/is there any kind of investigation by fire officials or insurance company's? :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
WOW!!!! #1 glad everyone is OK #2 What the heck could have caused that????
Did you fill up in the am? Faulty electric wires in the rear of the car (tail lights)?

That Corvette looks more cooked than the Kia.

Sorry you have to go through this but please post when they identify the origin of the fire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The insurance company is investigating it and KIA, I hope will too since I called their consumer affairs department which told me would direct the case to the appropriate department. If I dont receive a call from KIA by the end of today, I was told to call back the number given to me and I will be directly connected to the proper people. And yes, I had just filled up earlier in the morning at about 4:15am before I headed to work. I assume the corvette burned more due to the fact that it looks like it consists mostly of carbon fiber.

·
Premium Member
2015 Kia Soul + / Bright Silver / 2.0L (GDI) 4-Cyl Engine 6-Speed Automatic Trans
3,015 Posts
Did the speaker light harness get replaced under recall? There were 2-3 2011 Soul's that caught fire but there was only one other that burned but the guy that owned that one left the site before he could give us why.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never received a recall for the speakers and have had no issues with them. I did receive a recall letter just two weeks ago about a Stop Lamp issue.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Dude that sucks, sorry about your baby. Glad your ok. Have you had any run-ins with the Italian Mob lately?(not serious of course) That's crazy

·
Registered
210 Posts
are they sure that it was your car that started burning first and not the GM? Can you imagine if it was parked in someones garage? that's a very scary thought.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
This is truly awful for you and the other car owner. The important thing is it wasn't a collision and nobody got physically hurt. You must be gutted though.

Let's hope for everyone's information they can determine a cause. It's very worrying not to know why.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
First thing I'm curious to know is who was the crazy SOB who opened the hood with it on fire? :D

Fires do some crazy stuff. The whole car is melted, yet your window weatherstripping is intact and hanging down. There's a head-scratcher for ya.

I'm sympathetic, I had a Mustang that burned up on the side of the interstate on me back when I was in the service. The whole thing was like a crazy movie. I'll post about it sometime.

·
Registered
458 Posts
That Corvette looks way more cooked than the Soul.. are you sure it was your car that was on fire first?

In either case, I hope you get compensation for it and your troubles!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I remember the other Soul. It was off the site with-in days. Sad story in either case. I hope that they find the cause soon, random Souls burning up is not a good thing.....

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Wow! Just wow. I too would be curious to know which car started burning first. Also that the fire could take them out that quickly is pretty mind blowing! Good luck with getting it all resolved.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,658 Posts
Wow, suxx. Any new news on the investigation? Do you know anyone who hates you and carries a 5-gallon can of gas around with them?

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,658 Posts
^^All cars should have a fire extinguisher. At least one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts