Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Yes, but the whole point of this specific thread is simply that some oil place changes, and maybe even Kia dealership service departments, don't seem to know that the turbo 1.6 201 hp engine has completely different oil needs than the regular 1.6 135 hp engine. That is scary.

Jim G

·
Registered
121 Posts
reviving this thread ... because this just happened to me on my third oil change. checked the invoice when i got home and it's 5W20. gotta call the dealership and get this sorted

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went in, got the oil change, paid, and went home. It was only when I got home that I read the details of the invoice (as I always do before filing it), and noticed that it said 5w-20 Mobil One had been used for the oil change.
You are suppoded to read the invoice - then check for leaks - then check the dipstick mark, PRIOR to driving away from the oil change shop.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same here. With complex warranty verbage a mile long, it's important to C.Y.A. While I've always changed my own oil pre-Soul I'd rather Kia assume responsibility if something goes wrong.

Besides, they make it easy enough & cheap at $29.95.
This is why I don't go to the dealership... They charge $59.95 + tax. More than double what it costs me at pep boys.
Its a ripoff

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,902 Posts
This is why I don't go to the dealership... They charge $59.95 + tax. More than double what it costs me at pep boys.
Its a ripoff
Yeah, I just started doing my own oil/Kia filter changes (I guess motivated by the pandemic). Just under $30 and using Full Synthetic SN+. The dealer was using Dino house oil (which isn't bad stuff) for the first 5 years of ownership.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Yeah, I just started doing my own oil/Kia filter changes (I guess motivated by the pandemic). Just under $30 and using Full Synthetic SN+. The dealer was using Dino house oil (which isn't bad stuff) for the first 5 years of ownership.
You may want to make this one a short OCI. Using synthetic in an engine that's been on a steady diet of dino for five years is likely to dislodge some sludge. I've drained some really tarry oil out of cars after switching to synthetic. I usually keep the first OCI really short, like 1,500 to 2,000 miles, when making that change.

The pandemic is messing with my head. I noticed some sluggishness and slightly reduced MPG the past week or so and decided to change the plugs, despite the car having just under 50K miles.Then after I ordered the plugs, I realized that I just started using the A/C. DOH! Oh well. It doesn't hurt to have a set of plugs on the shelf. Hell, I may change them anyway just for something to do.

I also agonized for about six hours over whether to purchase stock replacement marker light housings for my utility trailer, buy LED surface mounts, or buy the stock housings and put No. 168 LED's in them. What was at stake was drilling two holes versus changing a $0.18 lamp bulb every three years or so. (I decided to go with stock, but am still debating the LED lamps.)

I've also started rotating my ethanol-free gas supply a few months early, again, mainly for something to do. In the process, I noticed that one of the lights on the cargo rack wasn't working. So I replaced the lights. I'm also thinking about re-wiring the cargo shelf and the trailer, even though they both work.

Finally, I ordered two touch-up pens and some black polish. I figure I'll take care of all the little specks in the paint from the rocks and dust.

I suspect a lot of cars are enjoying extra TLC these past few months.

Richard

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,902 Posts
Thanks for the OCI tip Richard. Man after reading all the good stuff you're doing to your Soul, I'm getting all motivated to do some other things too.

Thanks!

Reactions: GeekOnTheHill

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would report that Kia dealer, for not using the Kia Total Quartz Syn-Blend, which is used for basic oil changes, at all-3 nearby Kia dealerships here in SE Michigan.
OEM oil filters are also used.

The Kia Mothership may not stop the practice of 2nd party oils. But they can chew this particular dealership's butts-out, for sidestepping what most-all dealerships are using.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts