Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
I use a Melitta filter and canola oil on my oil changes, which I do every 25-50 miles or so.

Yes, it keeps me busy. :)
Interesting. What type of filter for best performance? Original or Super Premium, Pure White or Natural Brown, Disk or Cone or Cup. Does the size matter? :wink-new:

Which brand makes the best Canola Oil? Is Organic non-GMO better? What about the canola oil nay sayers? That say you should not use canola oil ever!
canola-oil-is-toxic.jpg :playful:

Any plans in the future to convert your Soul to biofuel and recycle your used canola oil?
:racing2: :run:

·
Registered
29 Posts
In my last turbo car, I used nothing but Castrol GTX 20W50. The little turbo seemed to love it.

Turbo's require oil that can take Extremely High Temperatures. Every day motor oil, just can't hack it!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hey guys, a little humour is fine, but please don't put miles of irrelevant posts to wade through within a thread that addresses a serious subject. Replacing an engine that gets ruined via wrong oil or filter is not pleasant or cheap.

Jim G

·
Registered
19 Posts
JimG, you have raised a good point regarding oil viscosity for turbos. Let me offer a perspective from a hotter climate standpoint.

I live in Arizona, which has temperatures up to 115 degrees, and rarely gets below 30. Also, I climb 6% grades during the summer. My owners manual shows viscositys ranging from 5W-30 to 20W-50. I will specify the 20W- 50 for my oil changes, dealer or otherwise. I believe that a 30 or 40 hot temp spec oil is inadequate for my Soul. I'm also considering using synthetic oil for it's high temp properties.

This may be an extreme situation, but I want to protect this hard working little 1.6 liter engine as best I can.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,902 Posts
this is why i go to the dealership for it... if they screw up it's on them
Same here. With complex warranty verbage a mile long, it's important to C.Y.A. While I've always changed my own oil pre-Soul I'd rather Kia assume responsibility if something goes wrong.

Besides, they make it easy enough & cheap at $29.95.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
JimG, you have raised a good point regarding oil viscosity for turbos. Let me offer a perspective from a hotter climate standpoint.

I live in Arizona, which has temperatures up to 115 degrees, and rarely gets below 30. Also, I climb 6% grades during the summer. My owners manual shows viscositys ranging from 5W-30 to 20W-50. I will specify the 20W- 50 for my oil changes, dealer or otherwise. I believe that a 30 or 40 hot temp spec oil is inadequate for my Soul. I'm also considering using synthetic oil for it's high temp properties.

This may be an extreme situation, but I want to protect this hard working little 1.6 liter engine as best I can.
Aside from better lubricity and temperature stability, synthetic provides better flowability at the higher weights and lower offgassing throughout the spectrum. I think it would be a good move.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Aside from better lubricity and temperature stability, synthetic provides better flowability at the higher weights and lower offgassing throughout the spectrum. I think it would be a good move.
And of course, you can change the synthetic oil less frequently than you have to change non-synthetic oil.

Jim G

·
Registered
483 Posts
And of course, you can change the synthetic oil less frequently than you have to change non-synthetic oil.
Not if you want to keep your warranty. Synthetic oil are seen as the same as dino oil by car and oil manufacturers. There is no service schedule for synthetic oil. They still expect you to follow the schedule that you fall under (Normal or Severe Service).

Even if you wanted to do the oil manufacturer's synthetic oil engine warranty. They say you must follow the auto manufacturers interval or their warranty is void too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Not if you want to keep your warranty. Synthetic oil are seen as the same as dino oil by car and oil manufacturers. There is no service schedule for synthetic oil. They still expect you to follow the schedule that you fall under (Normal or Severe Service).

Even if you wanted to do the oil manufacturer's synthetic oil engine warranty. They say you must follow the auto manufacturers interval or their warranty is void too.
Sorry, I always change the oil in my vehicles WAY sooner than the factory recommendation, so I meant sooner than I would have felt I need to when using non-synthetic oil.

Jim G

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lots of good words on this thread! I did make the move this week. Put in Mobil 1 15W-50, which covers me year around here in Arizona, according to the viscosity chart in my owners manual. The dealer had no problem with it, said it makes sense. I do not accept that a 30 or 40 hot spec oil is adequate for hot turbo bearings when climbing our 6% grades at 115 degrees. But that's what in the manual.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts