Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Soul with 1.6L Turbo is about 6-1/2 weeks old, and today it gots its first oil change - and almost a disastrous one.

I called my local shop that up to now I had trusted, and set up an appointment. The counter clerk and I specifically discussed that I have a 1.6 turbo, and NOT the regular 1.6 engine. In fact, we discussed how the owner's manual says that 5w-30 is ok for all ambient temperatures for the turbo, with 10w-40 being another option for our specific local climate which runs "moderate" versus "hot" in the summer, and we ultimately decided on the 5w-30 Mobil One oil.

I went in, got the oil change, paid, and went home. It was only when I got home that I read the details of the invoice (as I always do before filing it), and noticed that it said 5w-20 Mobil One had been used for the oil change.

I immediately called the shop, and incredibly, the clerk argued with me that the 5w-20 wasn't necessarily a problem and that he would check with Kia. I told him I wanted it changed FOR SURE to 5w-30, because it's MY turbo, not his, that might get hot enough to be damaged with the thinner oil! He ended up calling Kia and they told him the same thing I had: the 5w-20 is too light for the turbo engine. It is only recommended for the NON-turbo 1.6L engine. So he admitted the error, had me come right back, and the shop replaced the oil with 5w-30 for no charge of course.

The clerk apologized, but I told him I was not happy with the apology, since I had to wonder what could have happened to MY (not his) 6-1/2 week old turbo engine if I had not checked the details of the invoice. And how a burnt up turbo claim would have been handled with neither Kia nor the oil change place wanting to pay for a new engine.

Be forewarned:

The turbo 1.6 Liter is a very new engine, offered in the Soul for the first time in 2017. And so many mechanics will "assume" that a 1.6T is just the same as a 1.6, and put in the 5w-20. But the 5w-20 is too light for the 1.6 Turbo - for the turbo itself specifically, since the turbo runs very hot, and 20 weight oil in a HOT turbo is not going to provide the necessary protection.

Make SURE your mechanic (not just the counter guy) understands that your turbo engine is NOT the same as the regular 1.6 (it makes about 50% more power!) and the oil MUST be 5w-30 or 10w-40.

Jim G

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
same thing happened with our turbo optimas. kia even had to issue a tsb on this 3 years ago and we had our oil replaced for free. fast forward to last November. I went for an engine recall, which included a complimentary oil change. guess what, 5w20 was used. Called the dealership, told them to look up the tsb, got it replaced with 5w30 synthetic again. And these are Kia techs, who supposedly had extra training. they never learn.

I don't think any damage could occur in your turbo, since it's pretty cold in Canadia and you only drove a little.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scared me though. And if damage had occurred, you can bet that getting the place that made the error to pay for it would not be easy dspite their having made the mistake.

Jim G

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,125 Posts
sorry to hear of the mix-up, particular when you made it so clear, but glad it got sorted.

Surprised you changed the oil so quickly - any particular reason? I did my first oil change after my car was 6 months old as I don't put on a lot of kilometers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
. . .

Surprised you changed the oil so quickly - any particular reason? I did my first oil change after my car was 6 months old as I don't put on a lot of kilometers.
It's recommended that for a brand new engine (or even an engine that has just been rebuilt), you should change the oil at about 1000 miles = 1600 km to get the metal particles out that are generated during the break-in period. I have 1825 km on my Soul today.

Jim G

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I happen to agree that it is good to change at about 1500 miles +/- but I don't think it is recommended by any manufacturer?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I happen to agree that it is good to change at about 1500 miles +/- but I don't think it is recommended by any manufacturer?
Yes, the CAR manufacturers have stopped requiring it, but the motorcycle manufacturers still include it in their recommended maintenance schedule. Motorcycle engines, IN GENERAL, are more highly stressed, but I think a 201hp 1600cc turbo car engine is reasonably stressed too. :)

Today's better machining has greatly reduced the amount of break-in wear that occurs, but I think an oil change is cheap insurance.

Jim G

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
It's recommended that for a brand new engine (or even an engine that has just been rebuilt), you should change the oil at about 1000 miles = 1600 km to get the metal particles out that are generated during the break-in period. I have 1825 km on my Soul today.

Jim G
If you have metal particles in your engine, it is not due to a break in period, but due to a royal screw up by Kia, thus a massive engine recall.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have metal particles in your engine, it is not due to a break in period, but due to a royal screw up by Kia, thus a massive engine recall.
No, newly machined parts DO wear each other as they wear in, and do generate metal particles as a result, that get carried by the oil. The quantity is much smaller these days than it used to be, but still there. Those of us who are particular still think that first early oil change is a good idea. If you feel differently though, I'm not about to criticize you for it, as even the automobile manufacturers have pretty much given up on insisting that owners do it. It's not as important as it was a decade or two ago. And, back when I was a young guy, not doing those early oil engines was a BIG problem as neither the engine designs, the oils, or the machining were nearly as good as they are today.

Today, there are newer much bigger problems. For example, sparkplug change intervals being so long now that sparkplugs SEIZE in aluminum heads when you do try to finally chnage them at 100,000 miles. THAT requires an expensive and not-very-good repair that itself introduces new problems (aluminum shavings inside the cylinder, and a "helicoil" to replace a real sparkplug thread). And by the way, this specific sparkplug issue applies to EVERY 4.6 liter aluminum Ford V8. Naturally, neither Ford nor the dealers tell you that beforehand. :)

Jim G

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,902 Posts
Be sure to keep all receipts documenting your oil and filter changes Jim done by non Kia service. It would be needed should a warranty issue arise.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yeah check the filter... mine was on so tight from the factory that I couldn't get it off by hand. I had to go get a wrench- I put fresh oil in, but haven't swapped the filter yet. I'll fix it shortly.

If yours was the same I'll bet that lazy mechanic just left it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pretty much impossible for me to check the filter. I live in a condo, and no work is allowed on cars in the underground garage. And I cannot simply "look", as the Soul has an underchassis aero cover so I don't think you can even see the filter without a lift.

Jim G

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,125 Posts
Pretty much impossible for me to check the filter. I live in a condo, and no work is allowed on cars in the underground garage. And I cannot simply "look", as the Soul has an underchassis aero cover so I don't think you can even see the filter without a lift.

Jim G
your right you need to put it on a ramp to see the filter, but did they use the right filter or did you supply them with a OEM unit?

·
Registered
433 Posts

Jim G
Argh that sucks. Maybe you can drive up on a couple pieces of wood to get high enough to see? Should just be behind a small removable panel, if the turbo is like my base. Mine just snaps out.

It used to be many years ago, usually at 1,000 miles. I don't believe it still is, but being an old fart, I still do it.
I'd say it depends on the car, but break-in is break-in unless the manufacturer does it at the factory for 1000+ miles (they don't). First change after a thousand ish is always a safe bet. I got lazy on the Kia and didn't, and it came out looking pretty black on the first change. We'll see what it looks like this week when I dump it out again after only 2k.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,902 Posts
You can also just use a small mirror lowered down to inspect the oil filter from the open hood. I have done that to scratch a big "X" on the filter before I take it in for an oil change. Luckily the X has always been gone when I get back from service.

·
Registered
623 Posts

Jim G
The invoice specified the oil viscosity, does it list an oil filter with a part number?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts