Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the 2015 Gen 2 Soul Standard with Alien Green Paint, Currently the tires are 205/60/16. I do a bit of hunting, camping, hiking, and fishing. Due to my minor off-road situations; grass, gravel roads, shallow creek beds, snow etc... i'm looking to give myself a little more clearance and tread for better bite. There aren't many options for a/t or trail tires in this size however Falken has their WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL - in size 205/70R16. I'm curious if I would have any fitment issues in regards to height with this size increase. I know it would take my diameter from 25.7" to 27.3" and overall circumference from 80.7" to 85.7" other than slightly changing my speedo, do I have to worry about any other negative factors with this increase? Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks

·
Registered
750 Posts
Are you sure you're supposed to have 205/65/16 and not 205/60/16? Open the driver door and near the VIN sticker on the door jamb is the tire sticker that will tell you what size the car came with

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure you're supposed to have 205/65/16 and not 205/60/16? Open the driver door and near the VIN sticker on the door jamb is the tire sticker that will tell you what size the car came with
My mistake you were correct, I posted the measurements correctly, I posted the size incorrectly.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would not go taller on the tires. You could find a Forte with 15 inch wheels at the junkyard and that would give you options of going with a taller sidewall while having the same overall tire height.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would not go taller on the tires. You could find a Forte with 15 inch wheels at the junkyard and that would give you options of going with a taller sidewall while having the same overall tire height.
Thanks for the advice, what would be an ok height on a 15 inch rim? like the maximum height?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Soul + Thin Red Line Firefighter’s Edition
13 Posts
I have the 2015 Gen 2 Soul Standard with Alien Green Paint, Currently the tires are 205/60/16. I do a bit of hunting, camping, hiking, and fishing. Due to my minor off-road situations; grass, gravel roads, shallow creek beds, snow etc... i'm looking to give myself a little more clearance and tread for better bite. There aren't many options for a/t or trail tires in this size however Falken has their WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL - in size 205/70R16. I'm curious if I would have any fitment issues in regards to height with this size increase. I know it would take my diameter from 25.7" to 27.3" and overall circumference from 80.7" to 85.7" other than slightly changing my speedo, do I have to worry about any other negative factors with this increase? Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks
here’s what my 2017+ has... these are also 17” rims...

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
133 Posts
Here's a candidate. It would add 1.6" to the diameter, for a 0.8" lift that should clear the fenders. If you went to the next wider size (217/65-16) you would have a tiny bit less of a diameter increase, but there would be a width increase. Both should fit on a standard rim.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...HR6WPATT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Disclaimer: These will fit your stock rims, but I offer no guarantees that they will not rub or cause other "Issues" as described by some above. :D

·
Registered
502 Posts
Out of curiosity, which FWD, 4-door Kia compact car or crossover SUV has the highest clearance of the fleet?

I ask for two reasons. 1) With enough clearance, a FWD vehicle can go all kinds of places, IF the driver is competent and experienced.

2) The clearance on the Soul is very low which means that it holds the road extremely well but is not very useful for off-roading.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Not sure you're even on the forums anymore since you posted two months ago, but it showed up in my "new" feed so...

27 inch tall tires will fit just fine, especially at close to factory widths and offsets. I stuffed 235/60 tires onto 16x7.5 +50 wheels and they fit into the wheel wells with no issues. I get zero problems in the front even at full steering lock, and the rears just baaaaarely rubbed once the sidewalls against the inside edge of the fenders when the car bottomed out dropping off a ledge while off-road. Given that my tires are 27.1 inches tall and the ones you want to run are 27.3, you'll be fine, especially if you run the factory wheels (6.5 wide) and offsets (+47mm). Going purely on the math, you'll have 12mm more clearance to the fenders on the outside of the car and 18mm more open on the inside than I am, and it would probably be even better since the factory wheel is narrower too for less tire carcass stretch. It's been documented elsewhere on the forum that 235/60 on the 16x6.5 factory wheels fits just fine too, so you could just run that for maximum rubber width and sidewall, and you probably wouldn't run into the rear rub that I hit just the one time since the tire would be on a narrower wheel.

When I was measuring clearances after the balloon tires went on, I estimated that I could go another quarter inch up on radius and clear everything. For my next set of tires I might try 225/65-6 for a diameter of 27.5 inches and 5mm thinner on the outside so I have zero fender clearance issues. There are lots of good AT tires in that size too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts