Registered
50 Posts
y would it need a t-stat or solenoid?
i have not looked mine but if it goes to the radiator you would just need to
mount and splice in line and add fluid

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
doesnt the standard auto have an oil cooler as standard?.... could that one not be enlarged if its not enough?

·
Registered
123 Posts
doesnt the standard auto have an oil cooler as standard?.... could that one not be enlarged if its not enough?
I know of no current production car that doesn't have some sort of fluid cooler for the automatic transmission. Most 'normal' vehicles (read: those that won't see serious towing) have a cooler which is incorporated into the radiator. Heavy duty vehicles will have a supplemental external cooler in addition to the one mounted in the radiator.

In the old days--in other words, with a purely mechanical automatic transmission--the transmission fluid couldn't really be cooled too much. Back when I used to drag race my turbocharged Dodge Caravan, for example, I installed the biggest trans fluid cooler I could find on the entire planet (it was as tall and wide as my stock radiator!) and I did not use a radiator-mounted cooler. This means I could get my fluid down to near-ambient temperature, and that was important due to how I would torture the transmission at the track.

Nowadays, automatic transmissions are computer controlled. The transmission computer will monitor the fluid temperature and react accordingly. (As just one example, most computer-controlled automatics will not lock up the torque converter until the fluid reaches a certain temperature.) With such a transmission, your fluid can definitely be too cold for proper operation. Due to all this, if you want to add extra fluid cooling capacity to your Soul's automatic transmission, go ahead and install an external cooler... but then be sure to plumb it in as follows:

trans out --> external cooler --> radiator cooler --> trans in

Setting it up in this manner will help reject any excess heat the transmission generates, but the radiator will ensure the fluid doesn't get colder than the engine coolant temperature. You'll gain a little durability without causing any erratic operation.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Turbo, good advice on plumbing could eliminate the t-stat or solenoid. Any info for external cooler that will fit the Soul is appreciated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Any info for external cooler that will fit the Soul is appreciated.
Well, I doubt Kia makes a bolt-on external cooler... so you're probably on your own. This means you'll have to adapt a 'universal' aftermarket cooler to your car. The good news is this is usually not terribly difficult to do. Aftermarket coolers usually come in two designs. The first is plate type:

The second design is known as tube and fin:

Between the two, the plate type tend to be a bit more efficient. Also, the plate type are more durable, so to speak; the fins on the tube & fin style are very thin and were very easy to accidentally bend in my experience. I recommend you pick up a moderately-sized plate type cooler.

Some coolers will suggest you attach them directly to the radiator (or AC condenser) via those push-through zip tie thingies, but you can also mount one to the bumper, or the fascia, or the upper core support, etc via brackets. Here is one example of attaching directly to the radiator/condenser (the four black circles are the pull-through zip tie thingies mentioned earlier):

And here is one use of custom brackets, allowing the cooler to 'float' out in front of the radiator:

Just make sure it is in a location that receives airflow when the vehicle is in motion. If you're really concerned like I was with my minivan, mount it somewhere where the radiator fan will draw air through the external cooler when the fan is on.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
so when I was at the dealership the sales guy assured me the soul could tow up to 1200 lbs, but the owner's manual says it can't tow at all (I know the sales guys will say anything and I should of checked the owner's manual before I bought but I believed him), anyway now I am confused by you guys talking towing. I assume it isn't recommended to tow, but can it, how much, how does it do and where can I get a hitch for the thing? If you know the answers to any of that, please let me know.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Salesman for the most part are similar to whores on crack when they tell you
they love you...

I have an aluminum jet ski trailer that's converted for motorcycles. Tongue
weight is only 135# it can haul 1000#.

You can safely tow as long as you don't overload the car when towing. The
two things I want to do is add electric brakes to the trailer and the transmission oil cooler.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Do you happen to know if putting the towing hitch on the vehicle voids the trans warranty?
That's a great question. Automobile manufacturers train their techs to look for signs of abuse, and any such evidence is taken into account by the manufacturer when they decide whether or not to cover a repair under the warranty. Towing in excess of a vehicle's rated trailer weight would most certainly be one definition of abuse, and you've already discovered that the Soul is rated to tow precisely zero pounds.

Just for kicks, I pulled out my Soul's manual and flipped to the section on load capacity and towing. Three times within two pages, it very plainly says, "towing is NOT recommended with this vehicle." Because of all this, if your Soul's transmission melted down and the dealer tech saw a hitch installed on the car, Kia may very well deny the warranty claim.

I am one salesman who strongly advises against towing with a Soul.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is what I'm worried about. I don't really want to tow with it but putting a hitch on would let me put a bike rack or cargo carrier on it. Not that they would care.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't really want to tow with it but putting a hitch on would let me put a bike rack or cargo carrier on it.
I cannot speak for Kia, but I personally doubt you'd get static from them in this case. After all, if they asked you about the hitch you could simply show them your bike carrier and explain that it is why you have the hitch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts