Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GT-Line Turbo Cherry Black
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this AM I got my first maintenance oil change and everything taken care of with my new Turbo.

I'm still old school with making sure the rings are seated and things are turning as they should before I go out and open it up. So I found a nice straight stretch with nobody around. Redback (my car's name) was still gaining speed, but I finally just ran out of road. Not that I would ever break the law, but perhaps if I did it might look like this :) :)

PSX_20201121_145609.jpg

I think that little turbo had some more in it. I'm going to have to find a longer stretch of road.

I do love the number 133 though.

How about anyone else? What kind of lovely numbers did you find?

Let me know - RevScott

Reactions: Narsil

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,410 Posts
What would happen if you took her up to the 8th virtual gear? Curious what your RPMs would be?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would happen if you took her up to the 8th virtual gear? Curious what your RPMs would be?
I was still in 6 when I ran out of road...

·
Registered
364 Posts
You're brave. I once hit 126mph on a empty sketchy part of the highway. It wants more. I don't wanna imagine tuning this engine.

(Also, I don't have a virtual 8th gear on my DCT).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're brave. I once hit 126mph on a empty sketchy part of the highway. It wants more. I don't wanna imagine tuning this engine.

(Also, I don't have a virtual 8th gear on my DCT).
I'm not sure what a virtual 8th gear is... I was holding the transmission 5k & 6.2 k rpm to max the hp. Mostly this was between 5th & 6th gear.
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away when I was a much younger man I used to race on a track. I never took the car to red line but I got close a few times. The fact I still had RPMs to go, the turbo wasn't completely wound, and the torque was still at the high end says to me there was a long ways to go yet for this little engine. Never did get close to hurting it.
If this car has a virtual eighth gear I'm not familiar with it. Maybe it's sort of like the old electronic overdrives when I'm out on the interstate. Again I was holding it down to increase the RPMs so it never got a chance to go to cruise mode.
Fun, fun, fun

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,410 Posts
I'm not sure what a virtual 8th gear is... I was holding the transmission 5k & 6.2 k rpm to max the hp. Mostly this was between 5th & 6th gear.
A long time ago in a galaxy far far away when I was a much younger man I used to race on a track. I never took the car to red line but I got close a few times. The fact I still had RPMs to go, the turbo wasn't completely wound, and the torque was still at the high end says to me there was a long ways to go yet for this little engine. Never did get close to hurting it.
If this car has a virtual eighth gear I'm not familiar with it. Maybe it's sort of like the old electronic overdrives when I'm out on the interstate. Again I was holding it down to increase the RPMs so it never got a chance to go to cruise mode.
Fun, fun, fun
On the IVT Gen 3 they can shift manually into 7 and 8. You might be right that the DCT might not have that feature since it's a 7 speed DCT.

We need to get you a longer runway to open that baby up!!

Reactions: RevScott

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
:ROFLMAO:
On the IVT Gen 3 they can shift manually into 7 and 8. You might be right that the DCT might not have that feature.

We need to get you a longer runway to open that baby up!!
Ah ha... Yeah I'm looking. I'm in the panhandle of Texas so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find a long straight stretch of highway with nobody on it.

Another thing I did notice with the Gen 3 sport mode steering that as I accelerated it felt firmer and handled the road bumps much better. It's definitely doing a lot more than the Gen 2 sport mode did. It's like this little horse really wants to go!
It hunkered down and handled better than race cars I used to mess around within the 1980s. I know that's the early pleistocene - but wow I'm impressed.

I got to say I got to laughing too. I haven't had that much fun driving a car in a long time . it's funny that this old man's midlife crisis car turned out to be a Kia Soul with a turbo :c)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Just don't do any sudden steering movements. At over 100 mph with a car having that short of a wheelbase, added by a fairly cheap suspension design (front and especially rear)...

It's all fun until something unexpected happens. A connecting rod goes by-by. Or a wheel falls off. Then is RIP.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
And, that Turbo is on a 1.6L block. My 2013 Soul, with the 1.6L engine (DFI) got up to 115 on I-75 one day, before it just ran out of open road. That seems to be a re-occurring theme with the Soul.
It runs out of road before it runs out of engine. It's aerodynamics are not conducive to really High Speed, regardless that the speedometer goes all the way up to 160 MPH. It might get there on a wheel Dyno, where wind resistance does not enter into the equation.
Put the Soul drive-train in a small sports car body, and I'm sure it would go much faster.
The engine will keep on accelerating, till it hits the Rev. Limiter. It actually makes the most horsepower right before the Rev. Limiter.
Wind resistance can be a real Beatch!

* ONLY the 2020 Soul with the IVT (Intelligent Variable Transmission) has the 8th gear (Over Drive).
And the IVT will not shift into 8th by itself. It requires a little help from the driver, and manual shift mode.

I think I mentioned this someplace else, , , on a recent road trip, where I could drive 15 miles on a pretty flat road, I did it in 8th gear and Cruise Control. My car was reporting 49.5 mpg, before I finally had to stop for a stop light.
Great little 'Economy' car!
Cheers Mates, and Happy Thanksgiving,
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Ample open road here (click link below), good visibility past bushes which could conceal cattle.
Although, sudden sidewind gusts could be an issue.

So, in addition to SoNic67's mechanical concerns, there are many more potential issues.

My 2012 Triumph Bonneville was over 112 MPH, north bound, when an east gust blew it INSTANTLY from center of northbound land to center of southbound lane. Had it been from opposite direction, we would have been on a very rocky steep slope shoulder...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice bike. Makes me miss my '92 Nighthawk.
Glad for the 4 wheels & extra 2800 #'s in weight though over my old bike @ speed. :C)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Preferred the bike for the run from Ely to Elko - especially along the NV 229 stretch - great fun.
Overall either way - been a speed freak my whole life.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I enjoy acceleration more than top speed and am VERY selective about location when going for top speed.
Last ticket was 1976, when the nationwide 55 MPH speed limit was enacted.
Cited by Highway Patrol for 65 in a 55, cruising in middle lane on Simi Valley Freeway in the San Fernando Valley.
Normal cruise to our ranch in Arizona is 5 (75 MPH speed limit on I40) to maybe 10 over in 65 MPH zone.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
You'll love I-75 here in Central FL. Speed limit is 70, but, that's only for the slow lane (of a six lane road) center lane runs 75 to 80, and high speed lane runs 80 to whatever you can get away with.
I was doing 85 one day, and that dang Orange Lambo dang near blew my doors off when he passed me. A bike smoked me one day too, but from the sound, or lack thereof, it must have been Electric.
It dang sure wasn't a Harley.
:cool:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You might outrun the police version of Harley-Davidson's FLHP Road King touring bike, which accoridng to MSP, "hit 60 mph in 4.41 seconds, made it to 100 mph in 10.75 seconds and hit a top speed of 131 mph".

However, the 2019 FXDR with the 114 cubic inch Milwaukee 8 (8 valves) is reported to do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, with a top end of 160 MPH.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
60 Posts
You might outrun the police version of Harley-Davidson's FLHP Road King touring bike
reminds me of a saying my dad used to say. “You may be able out run that police cruiser, but you cannot out run Motorola” Now days all they need is your license plate and they will get you when they want to. The tortoise wins the race.

·
Registered
131 Posts
:ROFLMAO:
Ah ha... Yeah I'm looking. I'm in the panhandle of Texas so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find a long straight stretch of highway with nobody on it.

Another thing I did notice with the Gen 3 sport mode steering that as I accelerated it felt firmer and handled the road bumps much better. It's definitely doing a lot more than the Gen 2 sport mode did. It's like this little horse really wants to go!
It hunkered down and handled better than race cars I used to mess around within the 1980s. I know that's the early pleistocene - but wow I'm impressed.

I got to say I got to laughing too. I haven't had that much fun driving a car in a long time . it's funny that this old man's midlife crisis car turned out to be a Kia Soul with a turbo :c)
I know, it’s funny but my 79 Trans Am with radial tuned suspension I thought handled like it was on rails. Problem is, just about any airport car rental is faster and handles better....time flys, butI think you are right, have a mid life crisis, Get a soul for your soul!

·
Registered
16 Posts
The thing was built in South Korea. The tires were made in So. Korea. I'm guessing the tires are rated up to 80 mph. (New) Put 12,000 miles on them (who knows) Going fast is fun = With the right equipment............ just sayin

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nowadays as a real adult, I value my license more than testing top end and the court system and how high my insurance company can raise my insurance, or suspend, plus jail time. In Illinois, 30 over is mandatory court appearance while 40 over is at least and arrestable misdemeanor punishable up to 364 days in the county jail. However, back in the day did 126 in my 1991 1.8L Acura Integra that had high end HP. Then there was 136 on my 1995 Honda CB1000. With my 2000 Mustang GT, smoked the tires but kept the speed rational.

As for 8th gear in the Soul, it might not allow the engine to wind out all the way if the rpm drops too much from the peak of 6,200.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts