Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fellow forum members,

Posting this again since here I am months later with no progress on this, and KIA is not providing any answers via phone either. Going to the dealership is a last-resort option as they won't even know what I'm talking about (seriously)

I am trying to determine if my new 2013 Soul+ has an issue or if I am somehow overlooking something. There is a feature called Speaker Adaptation (that should really be called "Voice Recognition Adaptation". It is allegedly invoked by pressing & holding the "hang-up phone" button on the steering wheel for 10 seconds. At which point the voice recognition system should beep and then go through the motions having the driver say various words so the car can tailor the voice recognition system to better identify commands of the driver. However, on my Soul when I press & hold the button NOTHING happens. It is as if the feature is simply missing from the firmware. On the KIA site you can actually find a video that shows how this feature works, and it is also in the manual. So unless I have overlooked something, the feature should indeed exist in my Soul.

A couple members on the forum checked this previously but I need to get more verification tests to narrow down what is going on. So please, next time you are in your Soul kindly try this test and let me know the outcome - whether or not the feature actually exists in your Soul and what year/trim you have.

Many thanks,

Sonic

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
I will check on my base and see what is up. It does NOT have UVO but the standard radio that comes on the base. I am assuming that is the radio that you have. In the UVO cars, one just pushes the voice button and speaks. So far the radio has understood everything I say, but I will check that also.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Sorry, I don't talk to my car, except to maybe whisper sweet nothings to her. "Good Girl, Gertrude!".

:laughonfloor

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow!! So many problems/issues:confused: How do you get any sleep at night. Sell the Soul and find a used Yugo! Then you will really have something to fret about :laughonfloor

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
770 Posts
He never sleeps. He has stated that he "lives in Zombie land around Orlando".:drool

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sonic... I just checked mine & same thing. It asks for the command, I tell it different things and responds. I have the 2013! But nothing about speaker adaptation & while I've not really read that section of the owners manual I cannot say for sure. Do you get a response to commands?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sonic... I just checked mine & same thing. It asks for the command, I tell it different things and responds. I have the 2013! But nothing about speaker adaptation & while I've not really read that section of the owners manual I cannot say for sure. Do you get a response to commands?
The voice command seem to work EXCEPT for the Speaker Adaptation feature. I press & hold the "hang-up phone" button and NOTHING happens. No beep, no inquiry for commands, nothing. Unless I'm missing something, then I'm missing something...and that something is the Speaker Adaptation feature, which, as far as I can tell is indeed supposed to be present.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I FOUND THE PROBLEM!

THE RADIO NEEDS TO BE ON!!!

If you attempt to invoke the Speaker Adaptation feature without the radio being on first, NOTHING will happen. This is NOT how any of the rest of the voice recognition system works, so it is completely non-intuitive and is NOT mentioned as a condition in the friggin' owner's manual.

I have not yet tried while driving to see if there may be more caveats to this, but I doubt it. I suspect it is strictly due to the radio needing to be on first.

Conwlelpic & Buzz - what do we do about this, just leave the solution buried here in this thread or should this be added somewhere within an existing sticky?

(dmwagner - to answer your question, I have the regular radio, not the UVO)

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
I FOUND THE PROBLEM! THE RADIO NEEDS TO BE ON!!!
I warned you about all those negative comments about the Soul that you spewed out. Now they are getting back at you, they are talking to one another. They must be in cahoots with the Florida dealers' association to find mind numbing ways to make you pay, and PAY you will!!! Beware, you have been warned.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
I FOUND THE PROBLEM!

THE RADIO NEEDS TO BE ON!!!

If you attempt to invoke the Speaker Adaptation feature without the radio being on first, NOTHING will happen. This is NOT how any of the rest of the voice recognition system works, so it is completely non-intuitive and is NOT mentioned as a condition in the friggin' owner's manual.

I have not yet tried while driving to see if there may be more caveats to this, but I doubt it. I suspect it is strictly due to the radio needing to be on first.

Conwlelpic & Buzz - what do we do about this, just leave the solution buried here in this thread or should this be added somewhere within an existing sticky?

(dmwagner - to answer your question, I have the regular radio, not the UVO)
It's a Sticky now...... :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well fancy that... might be why when I tried it I got the same thing as Sonic! Amazing how you learn something new every day!!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Well fancy that... might be why when I tried it I got the same thing as Sonic! Amazing how you learn something new every day!!!!
See that Sonic, you are even affecting others now. It is group revenge. DonB, blame Sonic's negative comments for this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ha... Nothing worse than posting a problem that you ultimately fix yourself! Glad he posted it though as it's a great thought starter along with the grand prize & honor of becoming a "sticky" :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some things you may want to verify. I don't know if you bought your car new from the lot or used. If it's used, is the in dash system aftermarket or stock? Has anything been replaced in the electrical areas at all? Stereo, Navigation, etc... if so, the new system may not have required the adaptor that does a lot of these features. It may have been removed. In which case, does your new system SUPPORT this feature? If so, look into getting the adaptor.. however, depending on which one it is you need, it could cost around $200+. This is an issue I've run into with my Soul. It has an aftermarket navigation touch screen radio. The adaptor for any of the phone buttons on the steering wheel don't work... I have to touch the screen.

If none of this is your problem... well, I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
need to re-read the thread Briar2002, as he solved the problem. See #12 above.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'm going run the voice adaptation through some tests in the coming days and weeks, will post back what I find. As some of you may have already noticed, the voice recognition works reasonably well when there is no noise inside (A/C, road noise, etc). However, the voice recognition can easily be thrown off by even the smallest interior noises. Last night I tried recording the custom profile with the car off and will soon test to see if it has improved the voice recognition. After that I will see if the Soul will record a profile with the car running/moving. If so, I will record a profile while driving with the A/C on as well and see if recording a profile with all that noise actually helps the computer understand voice recognition better under more typical driving scenarios.

Also, one important caveat worth mentioning: The voice adaptation will customize itself to the voice of the person recording the profile. So if anybody else drives the same car and tries to connect their phone via the computer, it may actually degrade the ability for the computer to recognize their voice. Therefore this feature is really for 1-driver Souls or where only one driver is making use of the Bluetooth voice feature. Having said all that, the new profile can always be deleted so the system resets back to original default parameters.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Also, one important caveat worth mentioning: The voice adaptation will customize itself to the voice of the person recording the profile. So if anybody else drives the same car and tries to connect their phone via the computer, it may actually degrade the ability for the computer to recognize their voice. Therefore this feature is really for 1-driver Souls or where only one driver is making use of the Bluetooth voice feature. Having said all that, the new profile can always be deleted so the system resets back to original default parameters.
Yep, we ran into the same thing on my (soon not to be my base anymore) base. My son is the only voice it understands well. Since he is the primary driver, that is fine for our situation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts