Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Before I got my KIA I had just put a Kenwood unit in my Honda. After having had rented several cars with apple car play that connected instantly unwired. It was great! There is this little sort of micro wifi. So the tech is there - KIA just chose not to ise it.
Interesting. Why auto manufacturers make the decisions they make is beyond me. I look at those minor things as unimportant, though. I buy cars to go down the road economically and comfortably. How my car interfaces with a cell phone is not a real concern for me, although I do like it that they do interface with the phone. Our 2020 LX came with a USB cable that plugs into my wife's iPhone. It works great. The rest is just details for me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Interesting. Why auto manufacturers make the decisions they make is beyond me. I look at those minor things as unimportant, though. I buy cars to go down the road economically and comfortably. How my car interfaces with a cell phone is not a real concern for me, although I do like it that they do interface with the phone. Our 2020 LX came with a USB cable that plugs into my wife's iPhone. It works great. The rest is just details for me.
I have to have good sound and good cupholders. Beyond that is all gravy. I do like that both my personal iphone and work iphone blue tooth automatically. So if I get a work call or text it comes in and the car reads them to me. I don’t have to choose one phone or the other.

·
Super Moderator
9,508 Posts
I have to have good sound and good cupholders. Beyond that is all gravy. I do like that both my personal iphone and work iphone blue tooth automatically. So if I get a work call or text it comes in and the car reads them to me. I don’t have to choose one phone or the other.
That is new for 2020 I believe. Before you could hook up to 5 phones or devices to Bluetooth but only one could be designated as "Prime". So only the one would work at a time. To make the others work, the Prime device would have to be re-designated. This is one of the few nice things I have seen on the 2020 in the gadget category that is really good to have. As I have read, two of the devices can now be active at one time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've read several posts about the missing voice features on the Gen 3 Soul. I'm not seeing that, as long as the phone is connected with the USB cable to the center USB port in the console. My wife plugs her iPhone SE in with the USB cable. Somewhere there is a mic. Maybe its her phone mic, I don't know. but she does voice dialing, voice texts, SIRI and other voice stuff, as long as it's plugged in. Also the voice button on the steering wheel seems to work just fine with her phone.

I can't find a mic hole anywhere on the car, but that doesn't mean one's not there. Either that or its relying on the phone for voice activation.

But, as long as the phone is wired to the car, everything works. Since using ApplePlay requires a USB connection, it looks like a lot is dependent on that. Apparently, though, just using Bluetooth pairing doesn't seem to work. You have to have it connected with the cable and have Apple play working.

Yes, I know about the "Android Auto" app that allows voice dialing but it still requires a USB cable to be attached to the phone. BAD IDEA !
I thought the whole idea of "Bluetooth" was so it was WIRELESS ? Why should Kia have required a USB wire (USB ) to operate a car phone is beyond me... This is disappointing.

·
Super Moderator
9,508 Posts
Welcome on board. The need for a cable is not Kia's idea, it is the requirement of Android Auto or Car Play. You know it is only a matter of time before AA or ACP will be wireless. In fact some of it is but whether the Soul will get updated when that occurs is anybody guess. My guess is no, but they will sell you a new car with it in there, won't they?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes, I know about the "Android Auto" app that allows voice dialing but it still requires a USB cable to be attached to the phone. BAD IDEA !
I thought the whole idea of "Bluetooth" was so it was WIRELESS ? Why should Kia have required a USB wire (USB ) to operate a car phone is beyond me... This is disappointing.
Well, I don't know the reason for the USB cable requirement. Probably, Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth to handle the phone projection requirements. I look at it this way, if the phone's plugged in via USB, it stays charged as a side benefit. Frankly, as a driver, I don't use any phone features when the car is moving. If my wife is in the passenger seat, she handles that. If not, I do without.

Probably, the 2021 Soul will have it's own wifi system built into the entertainment system and that will be that. Maybe you should wait and get your new Soul next year. I don't know.

·
Registered
129 Posts
They are two different things: Android Auto and Apple Car Play mirror the phone itself. Texting, music, maps and more. The Kia requires a cord (though all cars I rent launch car play and auto with no cord). But if you don’t hook of car play or auto, my phote connects via blue tooth the old fashioned way and I can voice dial untethered.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
They are two different things: Android Auto and Apple Car Play mirror the phone itself. Texting, music, maps and more. The Kia requires a cord (though all cars I rent launch car play and auto with no cord). But if you don’t hook of car play or auto, my phote connects via blue tooth the old fashioned way and I can voice dial untethered.
I think that's because you have the upgraded head unit (which is cool). Gregguy doesn't mention his trim level, but I think most Gen3 don't have the ability to voice dial unless you wire connect through AA/ACP.

For Gen 2, all trims came standard with it (hence the irritation) :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
I am surprised that Kia removed features.
My 2016 Frontier's bluetooth is less sophisticated than the 2019 Soul base model (more steps to connect), but it will read or display a text message.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts