Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was trying to play an audio book via a walkman in the AUX port and if there is a slight pause in speech, the beginning of the next word is clipped. So, if someone were saying "Hello Harry", it comes out "ello arry".
I assume this is some kind of system noise reduction, as the same setup works fine in my wife's elantra, and worked fine via a cassette adapter in my old van. Music seems to play fine.
Any way around this phenomenon?

Edit: I just tried it now via USB and uploading to the Jukebox. Same clipping at every pause.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Did you do the ripping? Like from a cassette player into your computer to make the mp3 files? If so, check to make sure that the volume of the cassette player wasn't clipping the input of the recording device. Maybe...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't do the ripping. It sounds fine through headphones on the walkman, and through other sound systems. I just examined the waveform in Audacity and it doesn't show any clipping.

·
Registered
597 Posts
What about the level of the mp3? Another possibility is that mp3 is louder than your car car can handle, so it clips at the beginning of the word, then "catches up" after. Kinda like how a noise gate behaves when it's too tight on the attack.
Just guessing here. Haha. Maybe you could use Audacity to lower they level of one, save it and try it just to see. Sounds like the car stereo may just be more sensitive than headphones and tape adapters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions, but I checked that in Audacity also. The MP3 is not particularly loud, I usually have to go as high as I can on the Walkman and then boost with the car system. I have tried lowering the volume to half on the walkman as well, but the words still get cut off at the beginning. That is what leads me to think it probably is a software issue in the car system. I'm going to ask a car audio place about modding the system to bypass that feature. But I'm still open to suggestions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
:) Actually it is in British English (Dick Dale reading the Harry Potter books), but this is even more clipped. Clipping may not be the correct audio term. It is dropping the first parts of words, which I assume is there to prevent a hiss or something when no audio is detected.

·
Registered
597 Posts
You mean Jim Dale? I listened to all of those. At my old job I would just put on an audiobook and let it rip for 8 hours. Haha. Content aside, his reading of them is brilliant. I like how he is able to create all the different voices and accents for all the different characters. He actually won a Guinness record for the number of voices in an audiobook. 134 voices. Crazy. Like I said, I'm not a super Harry Potter fan, but I could listen to Jim Dale read anything. Haha.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Another "golden-voiced" audiobook narrator was Frank Muller. I first heard him reading the first couple of books in Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series. He was awesome. Tragically, he was in a motorcycle crash that left him immobile and unable to speak. He fought on for 6 more years, but never recovered. It's crazy how fragile we are.They had someone else read the rest of the series, but it just wasn't the same. The new guy was George Guidall. He later went back and did the first books that Muller did to complete the series. If you can find the ones with Muller, check em out. Especially the first one, "The Gunslinger". Its a great story with great narration.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A solution: I figured out a way around the problem. If I introduce a tiny amount of white noise to the audio tracks, small enough that I can't hear it even when it is turned up, the UVO software detects it as continued sound and doesn't drop the beginnings of words.

I used Audacity, opened a speech track, created a 2nd track and generated white noise on the new track at amplitude .00008 (which I determined through trial and error to be the bottom threshold of the UVO software's listening ability, or use .0001 to be on the safe side). I save the track, which mixes the two into one MP3, and now I can listen to audio books in my new Soul! Geek heaven.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Awesome solution. Nice way to "keep the gate open". A little white noise never hurt anyone. Plus when you're driving, it will just blend into the road noise.
Glad ya got it worked out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new 2013 Soul and have the same problem with the slow-to-respond noise gate. With mine, it will clip on radio, cd, whatever. Radio quirk, yes, but poor design or tuning of the system. I wonder if it can be adjusted.

PS George Guidall rocks! Muller was awesome when he did the Wreck of the Mary Deare.

·
Registered
607 Posts
A solution: I figured out a way around the problem. If I introduce a tiny amount of white noise to the audio tracks, small enough that I can't hear it even when it is turned up, the UVO software detects it as continued sound and doesn't drop the beginnings of words.

I used Audacity, opened a speech track, created a 2nd track and generated white noise on the new track at amplitude .00008 (which I determined through trial and error to be the bottom threshold of the UVO software's listening ability, or use .0001 to be on the safe side). I save the track, which mixes the two into one MP3, and now I can listen to audio books in my new Soul! Geek heaven.
Impressive work on your part. Very disappointing on Kia's part and I'd be pretty upset if I had to deal with this every time I wanted to listen to something new.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
I have a new 2013 Soul and have the same problem with the slow-to-respond noise gate. With mine, it will clip on radio, cd, whatever. Radio quirk, yes, but poor design or tuning of the system. I wonder if it can be adjusted.
which audio system do you have, as we have no idea which model you have. Soul's have three different systems

1 - 16 of 16 Posts