Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
AAAAAAAHHHHHHhhhhh.... only kidding... the SE2's are black, not brushed metal.... No Steel wool is going near them.

It will be easier to clean with them off. a bit of a pain since I am on a hill @ about a 30 degree grade. :)

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
i assume you only clean the inside of your wheels like this and not the outside faces?. Do the insides of the wheel have the lacquered finish?.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
i watched the video and he only did the internals.....but my sound didnt work, so i dont know whether he was saying do the outsides too.

·
Registered
728 Posts
personally I'd be quite nervous about using steel wool on my wheels. I think I would try and use a nylon scouring pads like the SOS Tuffy on my wheels first.

Good automotive soap, a wheel brush, a couple rags, and importantly regular waxing is the key. I've never had a problem with my wheels not looking good. Even the wheels on my 10 year old Subaru look darn good.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You're welcome.

I'm not sure I get it across that you need to use extra or super fine and you can use WD-40 instead of soap and water for the first round. I like just using the soap and water though. The main thing is that you only need very lightly/gently rub the areas affected. The rust, tar and normal road gunk comes off real easy but if you try regular soap and microfiber sponges and just about anything else you are in for a scrub-a-thon that will most likely not even be 100% clean.

I'm no expert or claim to be so try this at your own risk, all I can do is tell you about it. My schedule is to do right before winter and then wax and after winter and the rainy season and then wax, so twice a year.

Lastly I don't do the polished fronts as they have never needed it because they clean up fine. And second I would be way to scared to do the fronts with steel wool.

This tip was primarily for people with the same wheels not meant for any other style/color type wheel.

Sidenote: My other car a '99 Jetta had the worst brake dust infected wheels I have ever seen. So I tried it on them, took me 2 hours but they look almost brand new I got 95% of the gunk off them with the same method but it took about 8 pads and 3 to 4 rotations on each wheel. This car was a work car and basically I never really cared to even clean the car after the first 5 years. Kinda weird because I clean the crap out of the Soul each week. :)

Anyway, to my naked eye they do not look scratched, also they weren't pitted so I got lucky. In a year I will let you know what happens, I guess we'll know through another winter if they hold up. Winters in my area involve roads salted 100% for 3 to 4 months straight. My daughter drives it now and she thought the wheels were brand new after she saw what I did.

Concur.

I will have to try this on my wifes 09 Sorento she has aluminum wheels I normally use a green scruby and lightly with plenty of water Thanks for taking the time to make this vid.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Taking off your wheels to wash the inside ? You guys realize thats one step away from cleaning your sidewalks with a bucket of soapy water and a brush. Think about it :p

·
Banned
587 Posts
Taking off your wheels to wash the inside ? You guys realize thats one step away from cleaning your sidewalks with a bucket of soapy water and a brush. Think about it :p
now that's just silly - why would anyone waste time cleaning sidewalks when they could be on a creeper and using a toothbrush to keep the entire underside of their souls just like new ?

·
Premium Member
2015 Kia Soul + / Bright Silver / 2.0L (GDI) 4-Cyl Engine 6-Speed Automatic Trans
3,012 Posts
I find it easier to use the brush attachment on my pressure washer. It make the sidewalk look all white and new.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts