Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey soul friends, I’ve had this soul for a couple weeks now and it has about 26000 miles on it. I now noticed while idle (in drive, park and neutral) there is a vibration that is noticeable. This also only happens when the engine warms up.

I never feel it when I first start driving at any stops until the temp reaches the middle on the h/c gauge for the engine.

Took it into the dealer today and they checked it out and within 45 mins I got a call saying it was ready to be picked up (i thought they’d need it longer than that.

They said nothing was wrong an everything looks and checks out just fine, the service man said this is just a common way that the 4 cylinder engines run. I asked about spark plugs and he said if one wasn’t working a check engine light would have come on. I’m so confused.

So now I leave the dealer I feel only a little vibration compared to before when I first pick up the car, then not much on the way home, so I look under the hood when I get home and find a part of a tool is left under the hood so it looks like they may have used it to tighten up something but didn’t tell me?

Ps. I just talked to my dad and he also suggest for me to use some Techron fuel injector cleanser especially since it has say on the lot for about a month before I got it to see if it helps the vibration go away completely. I’ve read that this is safe for my car but wanted to hear other souls owners experience with using it, is it needed?

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Hi weebeast, your dad gave you some good advice. Run a bottle of Techron (put it in before you fill the tank) and also drive the car a little hard if you get a chance (get your RPMs up). Since you've only had the car a couple of weeks, you can't be sure what type of gas the previous owner put in the car. It's advised that you fill up with Top-Tier gas (that's like Shell, Chevron etc....Google Top Tier Brands).

Also, remember that we are running "Winter Gas" now, which has a higher ethanol content. I even notice a little more "jiggle" during these months. 4 cylinder engines are known for being a little rougher at idle than say a 6 or 8 cylinder engine. It's perfectly normal, but if you're not used to it, takes a little time to adapt.

Take a few minutes to check all your fluids, oil, radiator, brake etc. Just to be sure. I laughed at the tool picture. I've gained many screwdrivers, wrenches etc over the years left in my car by techs. Consider it a gift (or garbage).

Lastly, did the warranty transfer to you on this car?

All the best and please don't worry too much about your new Soul. You bought a great car!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had a rough idle exactly once in my 19 so far, and with only about 1300 miles on it it concerned me. Was running great 30 miles up the highway, a few more miles of 30mph surface streets, then stopped at a light. Halfway through waiting for the light the idle changed and it got really rough. Ran fine up the hill to home though. I was not running the front defroster that trip, so not a situation where the AC compressor kicked in. I'm in monitor mode to see if it happens again.

Planning on running some kind of fuel system cleaner through it at every oil change (probably to get two tanks through before each change). Also considering spraying one of the GDI cleaners through the intake before every change. All of the intake cleaners I've looked at say you should have your oil changed within 500 miles of using the product so it makes sense to do this before the oil changes. Might order the Lucas GDI cleaner and probably Lucas fuel system cleaner/lube even though they are not approved by KIA.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Greg it sounds like an isolated incident. Probably a bit of bad gas or an impurity that has worked it's way through the system. These engines are pretty rock solid & haven't been plagued with this issue. The computer may also been working to adjust to a perceived idling issue.

Even the dreaded doomsday wave of carbon buildup failures doesn't seem to be surfacing the way it did on 2010 & earlier engines. Let's hope it doesn't :)

I was reading this on the Ford Ecoboost "Underhood Service" site regarding spray induction to clean carbon buildup (even though the + isn't turbo):

Induction Cleaning Mistakes
The 3.5L has not had many issues with carbon build-up on the intake valves. But some DIY owners will use induction cleaners that are injected into the intake. These types of cleaners can damage the turbochargers’ bearings, seals and turbines. The best advice is to use high-quality fuel. Also, Ford has released new PCV parts and PCM calibrations to reduce the amount crankcase vapor ingested into the intake.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much geosoul and monster soul!

I’ll run some on the next fill up and I do always use top tier gas already so that’s good! (never even knew, haha)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ran the Techron, we went on our first road trip

made sure to give it some punch when possible getting on the freeway and get the rpms up, we put about 2000 miles on it all good gas.

Still can feel the vibration at idle (noticed it idles a hair above 500 rpm and as soon as I let go of the brake to move it feels better instantly )

It drives like a dream otherwise! so I will just have to call it a free massage for passengers and keep enjoying it for many years to come. :eek:

Thanks for all that chimed in

·
Registered
238 Posts
Could be a vacuum leak in the brake booster circuit, or could be a transmission issue. Next time you are sitting at a light and it is vibrating, shift into neutral and see what happens.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Ran the Techron, we went on our first road trip

made sure to give it some punch when possible getting on the freeway and get the rpms up, we put about 2000 miles on it all good gas.

Still can feel the vibration at idle (noticed it idles a hair above 500 rpm and as soon as I let go of the brake to move it feels better instantly )

It drives like a dream otherwise! so I will just have to call it a free massage for passengers and keep enjoying it for many years to come. :eek:

Thanks for all that chimed in
I notice a little vibration with mine, one light it's a little more, next light, not so much. Familiarity breeds contempt. Do your passengers bring the issue up?

It's the normal operation of a 4 cylinder engine (you'll never find a description of them like those buttery smooth V8s).

My 2 cents is that when vibration is a real problem, you'll KNOW it.

I like your take weebeast, drive it, enjoy it for many years to come!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I notice a little vibration with mine, one light it's a little more, next light, not so much. Familiarity breeds contempt. Do your passengers bring the issue up?

It's the normal operation of a 4 cylinder engine (you'll never find a description of them like those buttery smooth V8s).

My 2 cents is that when vibration is a real problem, you'll KNOW it.

I like your take weebeast, drive it, enjoy it for many years to come!

Thanks! It’s that way with mine too...some stops it doesn’t do it hardly at all, others it does and some it’s more noticeable than others. Passengers do notice it (especially after having a ride in my old car RIP lil Chevy sonic)

It’s just something different and I’m new to having a soul but it doesn’t seem to be affecting anything performance wise so I’ll keep on crusing along.

Appreciate your time, everyone!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, and check for recalls on Soul because they're having catalytic converter issues, which may cause clogging and overheating, which explains the vibrations at idle. What GeekOnTheHill said was right too in checking for leaks. You're 02 sensors may be sensing a lean condition.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts