Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have a 2011 Soul Tiger (essentially just a nicer +) and I got in my car today to head to work and when I drove down the road, the doors locked at ~10mph...weird...I get to work, turn the car off and all the doors unlocked. This might just sound like the normal feature of some cars but the thing is, MY CAR HAS NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE!! And it did it again when I went to lunch! What the hell?! How on earth does a feature just appear on a 3 year old car???!!!! I haven't done anything to the car lately so there is nothing that I did that would have cause this....seriously....how does this happen?!

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Ok, so I have a 2011 Soul Tiger (essentially just a nicer +) and I got in my car today to head to work and when I drove down the road, the doors locked at ~10mph...weird...I get to work, turn the car off and all the doors unlocked. This might just sound like the normal feature of some cars but the thing is, MY CAR HAS NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE!! And it did it again when I went to lunch! What the hell?! How on earth does a feature just appear on a 3 year old car???!!!! I haven't done anything to the car lately so there is nothing that I did that would have cause this....seriously....how does this happen?!
Sound like updated software somewhere that was not working before. The lock door feature has been around for ages, I am surprised that it did not work before. However, having said that, mine works MOST of the time, but not all of the time. I have not figured out what makes it work or not work, it can be baffling but I am beginning to think that the Koreans really SUCK at writing software.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It could have been a lose connection somewhere and over 3 years the connection may be making a bit better contact perhaps. Long shot, I know, but could. OOOOORRR..... your car finally trusts you that you are keeping it and it loves you and wants you to be safe since in the past 3 years the world is becoming crazy with people killing other people. Awww.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It could have been a lose connection somewhere and over 3 years the connection may be making a bit better contact perhaps. Long shot, I know, but could. OOOOORRR..... your car finally trusts you that you are keeping it and it loves you and wants you to be safe since in the past 3 years the world is becoming crazy with people killing other people. Awww.
I really hope that your second thought is what is really happening!!!! Maybe that it's my car's version of giving me a hug since it has been so cold lately!!!
Either way...it's the weirdest car thing that has even happened! I'm fine with the feature but soooo weird!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Is it possible you just got your ear wax cleaned out for the first time in 3 years and you are now just hearing it?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it possible you just got your ear wax cleaned out for the first time in 3 years and you are now just hearing it?
no sir. never done it before until today. The lock sound actually scared me, I thought I hit a chunk of ice/snow on the road, then when I turned the car off at work and it unlocked, I realized what it was.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
It shouldn't be news to any experienced driver that Cold Weather can do weird and even Nasty things to our cars.

Here in Florida, we don't get too many extreme temp's, but where I used to live in Illinois the annual temp's could range from +105 to -40.
That can raise Cain, with mechanics and electronics.

Years ago, I sold my Chevy X11 to a friend of mine. On the coldest day of winter, the power steering quit working. He never got it fixed.
But two years later, again on the coldest day of winter, the power steering started working again and kept working as long as he owned the car.
Go figure!

My own Door Lock trick has worked flawlessly since the car was new. It can prevent a lot of car-jacking.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh I know that cold can do crazy things but to cause a feature that I'm not even sure was a stock feature to appear out of nowhere sounds crazy lol I don't think the cold quite have that power.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
oh I know that cold can do crazy things but to cause a feature that I'm not even sure was a stock feature to appear out of nowhere sounds crazy lol I don't think the cold quite have that power.
Ok, it was those darn Hamsters rewiring your car when you weren't looking. Just a side benefit of having a Soul. :)

·
Premium Member
2015 Kia Soul + / Bright Silver / 2.0L (GDI) 4-Cyl Engine 6-Speed Automatic Trans
3,014 Posts
I have always wanted my car to do that but was told it wasn't possible by my old dealer. Maybe when I visit the new one in Orlando I will ask again.

85 Posts
I Drive a SX Which was the Top-Tier Sport module in '11
mine has Always done this,
have you been in for any service at a dealer lately??
they may have Up-dated/Flashed your PCM

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Those hammies better not try to pull dat sheet on me. I don't want no stinkin' door locks, even three years down the road - which I've already passed, so maybe I'm safe. The nerve of those rodentz!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, so this evening I had time to look closer at this and trying to figure out what happened. Well I figured out that the button to lock the doors inside the car don't work. (the button on the inside of the door) neither drivers side or passenger side lock button works. When I lock it twice with the key fob to set the alarm, it doesn't set. And finally, when I unlock the doors with the key fob, the driver's door won't unlock, but it will unlock with the key.....what the hell guys?! This was literally all out of nowhere and all started this morning. Everything worked fine last night. Anyone have any logical ideas?!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll try disconnecting the battery to reset everything this afternoon, maybe I accidentally did some weird reprogramming while my fob was in my pocket??? Who knows?! It never got wet to short anything out, the last thing I did was change my fog light bulbs to yellow a few weeks back and before that uninstalled new speakers in all the doors and unbypassed my amp. Neither of those have anything to do with door locks and if there was a problem there, it wouldn't have taken months to just pop up. If resetting doesn't do anything then I'll talk to my local mechanic then take it to the dealer

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
Is it possible you have have a grounding issue? I replaced all my ground wires with larger diameter wiring using the Vision Promotions Ground Cable Kit. Just a thought.....

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I suppose it's possible, at this point, I think anything could be possible. I'll check to make sure they are all secure but I can't imagine that, unless one came loose, that it would just instantly cause a problem out of nowhere, but I'm no pro

1 - 20 of 33 Posts