Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in upstate New York so it can be very cold around here. The concern I have is that it takes almost forever for my new 2012 Soul to warm up during driving. I have a 10 mile commute one way to work and just like this morning with temps in the lower 20's the car took 7 miles of it to reach normal operating temps. I hope when temps go down to the single numbers that I don't freeze to death driving to work. Anybody else notice this?

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,085 Posts
You might want to get a block heater or remote starter to warm up your engine before driving. This is my advice.....I don't deal with cold weather much here in north Texas......

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,163 Posts
I live in upstate New York so it can be very cold around here. The concern I have is that it takes almost forever for my new 2012 Soul to warm up during driving. I have a 10 mile commute one way to work and just like this morning with temps in the lower 20's the car took 7 miles of it to reach normal operating temps. I hope when temps go down to the single numbers that I don't freeze to death driving to work. Anybody else notice this?
might be an idea to fill our your Drives profile with your vehicle details for future postings - thanks.

What speed are you driving during this 7 miles? Do you have the heater on while its warming up? I haven't really checked out how long mine takes to warm up, but its not very long and the heat is fantastic and I'm still using low temperature settings.
I suppose its always possible you could have a defective thermostat. The normal temperature is just below the centre mark.

Low 20's F isn't very cold and certainly doesn't warrant a block heater or remote starter. I haven't used a block heater for years and that's with temperatures going down to -30C.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
lol know what you are talking about and that's one thing i don't miss!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I am in CA, but it still drops to 40's, and my Soul warms up within 2 miles (and I don't sit and let it idle in the driveway either...). You must have a stuck stat. I recently took my 2005 Durango back to New Mexico and it was in the teens at night. It would literally take 30 minutes idling in the parking lot to warm up and if I went down the highway it never would get up to operating temp. I had my brother (local professional mechanic) pull the stat and it was barely missing a tiny little piece of the rubberized coating that covered one of the air bleed holes. That tiny little opening kept a Hemi from warming up!! Your little Soul might just have a tiny little gap or be sticking just slightly open. Doesn't take much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Since I bought the Soul we have had a couple of mornings near 0F. I have noticed the car is a little slower to warm up than my previous 2005 Cobalt, but still hits normal temperature after about 5 or 6 miles at highway speeds. This is with a block heater plugged in for a couple of hours.

When at normal operating temperature, a fan setting of 3 , temperature setting a couple of clicks into the red and the car is plenty warm enough at 0F so I don't think you have to worry about freezing to death if your car is working normally. Besides you should have a lot of heat from the seat warmers.

A block heater will give you somewhat quicker heat but not a huge difference.

Where I live what is really nice for comfort on short trips is an interior car warmer so you start off not being freezing cold.

But this year most morning temperatures have been around 10 to 20 F , I have not been plugging the car in when it is this warm.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Have the car checked out, modern cars warm up pretty quickly these days, my temperature gauge is usually up to normal within 2 miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, this morning I woke up and the temp was 15 outside. I ran out and warmed up my Soul with the heater at full for about 10 minutes. I got into the car and it was quite warm. By the time I got out of town ( about a mile and a half ) it was at normal operating temp. I guess when you just jump in and go it takes longer to heat up plus I have the heater on high at the same time.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
having the heater on high immediately will slow down the engine warm up slightly - you are taking the engines heat away and putting it in the interior. However for economy, emissions and engine life, you are recommended to start the car and drive away almost immediately.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I checked mine this morning. I started the car and let idle just long enough to clear the front and back glass of ice (About 5 min) and drove off. Within 5-6 miles it was up to normal temp of city driving (~45mph)

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
tempest is right b/c new suzuki warms up very-very fast so if you aren't doing this then you might wanna try closing vents for fresh air, which should make a difference or at least it did in my soul - warmed up a bit quicker but still felt like it took forever when very cold lol... also know my soul had a cooling down issue in the summer - seemed to take very long for a/c to kick in and i always wondered if the 2 were connected?

·
Registered
15,163 Posts
Ok, this morning I woke up and the temp was 15 outside. I ran out and warmed up my Soul with the heater at full for about 10 minutes. I got into the car and it was quite warm. By the time I got out of town ( about a mile and a half ) it was at normal operating temp. I guess when you just jump in and go it takes longer to heat up plus I have the heater on high at the same time.
as Tempest said, it warms far quicker when you drive it than letting it idle. At that temperature, getting in and let it idle for 30 seconds to a minute is plenty.
Do you have heated seats?
As I mentioned filling out your drives profile helps us know details of your vehicle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 2012+ warms up more slowly than the Honda Element it replaced. On a cold morning, the toaster would produce useable heat in about 1.5 miles. It takes about 2 miles for Kimchi to reach the same point. The Soul powertrain is more efficient than Elephant's. This would explain the different warm-up times in my case.

·
Registered
15,163 Posts
doning - I checked my car today to see how quickly it warmed up. The car had been sitting for six days, the temperature was -7C. (19F) I started the car, let it run while I hooked up my seatbelt and set the radio (approx. 30-60 seconds) and then drove away. Switched on my heated seats as they warm up quickly and can feel heat within 1/2 km. The car got to normal operating temperature with about 4 km (2.5 miles), with approx 1.5 km of 60 kmph (37 mph) and then the rest at 80 kmph (50 mph).
The colder it is outside the slower it could take to warm up, but that will give you some idea. I would say there is certainly no problem with how quick it warms up on my Soul and provides lots of heat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do not have heated seats. I found that when I get in now on a cold day, if I let it run for a minute or so before starting off it seams to warm up okay. I know my Pontiac G6 with the 4 cylinder warms up fast! I guess I'm just compairing it to that.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I live 2 hours south of you in upstate NY, I park my SOUL in an uninsulated garage, this is my first winter with the SOUL as well. I generally start the car, run it for one minute then head out for work, I haven't checked how long it takes to get to normal operating temperature in fact I don't know what said normal operating temp is, I will monitor it this week it is supposed to be 9 degrees F on Tuesday morning so this will be a good test, I feel like I get really warm to hot air from the vents in pretty short order but again I can't quantify that with a time frame so I will monitor this.

I'm no expert but I think letting the engine idle for 10 minutes is excessive, you might want to check with the other folks here or your KIA dealer on that, as for a block heater I don't know anyone that has one on any vehicle type in my region of the upstate.

Good luck

·
Registered
15,163 Posts
too bad about no heated seats. Now that I think of it, does thr US even get heated seats and mirrors?
+ and ! get heated outside mirrors, heated front seats comes only with the Premium Package on the ! along with leather seats. Heated outside mirrors and heated front seats are standard on all Canadian models.

·
Registered
15,163 Posts
I haven't checked how long it takes to get to normal operating temperature in fact I don't know what said normal operating temp is,

I'm no expert but I think letting the engine idle for 10 minutes is excessive, you might want to check with the other folks here or your KIA dealer on that, as for a block heater I don't know anyone that has one on any vehicle type in my region of the upstate.

Good luck
normal operating temperature is when the needle is just below the centre mark on the gauge. Bloack heaters are listed on the Kia Canada website under accessories, not sure about the US.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts