Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
thanx for the tip...just ordered one...signed up also for the amazon prime so in the end it cost me under $15.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for the tip...just ordered one...signed up also for the amazon prime so in the end it cost me under $15.
Good deal. Prime is definitely worth it, especially if you also get Amazon's Store Card because you get 5 percent back. (Just pay it off every month, though, because the interest is crazy high.) I think my Amazon orders have quadrupled since I signed up for Prime and I don't have to worry about shipping on most items anymore. It's a good deal. Plus you get Prime Video, which has some decent titles included.

As for the impact wrench, it made easy work of my seasonal tire swap and rotation, and I didn't have to sit around and wait for an air tank to fill up.

I also purchased a set of torque sticks that are surprisingly accurate. This wrench does NOT have a built-in torque limiter (nor do most impact wrenches).

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Geek...I have never quite understood how a "torque stick" accomplishes it's task of limiting torque from wrench to fastener being it's a solid 1 piece extension of sorts.
Please..."splain to me Lucy?"

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
So...I answered my own question with the help of Google.
Seems it's all about the flex point!
I always wondered why the sticks don't eventually sheer from over torquing but it seems they are smarter than I?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So...I answered my own question with the help of Google.
Seems it's all about the flex point!
I always wondered why the sticks don't eventually sheer from over torquing but it seems they are smarter than I?
I've heard some people say that they eventually lose their accuracy due to work hardening.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Another good choice

Run down to your local Harbor Freight Store and pick one up... Highly satisfied. Comes in a real nice Carrying Box. (read the Reviews for tips on using a Impact wrench correctly.

Print out your 20% off and get your FREE flashlight and Buy That impact Wrench for $39.95 (good till the 20th March 2016)
http://images.harborfreight.com/hft.../digitalsavings/Mar2016/digitalsavings-bw.jpg

1/2 in. Heavy Duty Electric Impact Wrench
Electric Impact Wrench - 1/2"

Review Sample: Good sockets required.

First off this wrench provides awesome performance at a fantastic price. Reading some of the negative reviews i can't help but think many of these people simply aren't using it correctly. Two points. One, if you want it to be powerful, you have to provide it power. That means no low amp lamp extension cords. If you need an extension cord, use a heavy duty large gauge cord, and keep it as short as possible. Two, use good quality impact resistance sockets. The whole point of the hammer is to transfer shock waves down the bolt to the threads. To get those waves to travel you need tight fittings. If you are using regular sockets that are more prone to absorbing that energy instead of transferring it, you are losing power. Use good quality impact resistant sockets. In the same vein, using socket extensions doesn't really work. You are just increasing the distance for that energy transfer to happen. The longer the extension, the more power you lose. And don't even think about using socket adapters. Adapters only add a new gap into the equation. Waves don't want to cross gaps. It's a 1/2" wrench, use 1/2" sockets. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another good choice

Run down to your local Harbor Freight Store and pick one up... Highly satisfied. Comes in a real nice Carrying Box. (read the Reviews for tips on using a Impact wrench correctly.

Print out your 20% off and get your FREE flashlight and Buy That impact Wrench for $39.95 (good till the 20th March 2016)
http://images.harborfreight.com/hft.../digitalsavings/Mar2016/digitalsavings-bw.jpg

1/2 in. Heavy Duty Electric Impact Wrench
Electric Impact Wrench - 1/2"

Review Sample: Good sockets required.

First off this wrench provides awesome performance at a fantastic price. Reading some of the negative reviews i can't help but think many of these people simply aren't using it correctly. Two points. One, if you want it to be powerful, you have to provide it power. That means no low amp lamp extension cords. If you need an extension cord, use a heavy duty large gauge cord, and keep it as short as possible. Two, use good quality impact resistance sockets. The whole point of the hammer is to transfer shock waves down the bolt to the threads. To get those waves to travel you need tight fittings. If you are using regular sockets that are more prone to absorbing that energy instead of transferring it, you are losing power. Use good quality impact resistant sockets. In the same vein, using socket extensions doesn't really work. You are just increasing the distance for that energy transfer to happen. The longer the extension, the more power you lose. And don't even think about using socket adapters. Adapters only add a new gap into the equation. Waves don't want to cross gaps. It's a 1/2" wrench, use 1/2" sockets. Good luck.
I should have mentioned that the impact wrench does NOT include a 21mm socket, and the 13/16 was not "close enough" to use on my Soul's OEM lug nuts. No biggie. I picked one up locally for less than $7.00 from my local Carquest store.

But yeah, you have to use sockets specifically designed for impact wrenches, and adapters are not a good idea. That seems obvious to old-school gearheads, but maybe not so much to people who are new to this sort of thing. My apologies.

The torque sticks are okay because they're specifically designed to limit the torque for safety reasons, but the last tool to touch the lug nut should still be a torque wrench.

And while we're talking about torque, the torque wrench you use to check the torque on anything tightened with an impact wrench (or any power tool) should be a beam or dial type. "Click" type torque wrenches will click at any torque at or above their current setting, so they won't tell you if a fastener has been over-tightened. They can only determine under-tightening, not over-tightening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts