Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After researching several cars, I ended up purchasing a Base Kia Soul Dune Auto with the 16 inch alloy upgrade. We also test drove the + and it did have a bit more power, but the only thing it offered that the base didn't that I felt we needed was the armrest, so I have one of those on the way from Ebay for 95.00. I purchased the car for my very soon to be driving teenage daughter after figuring out I didn't want to pay over 10 grand for a clean used car with high mileage. I know I may get several comments about a new car for the teen, but please check out used car prices, they are outrageous and you have no idea what you are buying. I will also save some money by driving it a few days a week instead of my F-150. So since my daughter is not driving just yet, I have been driving the Soul for the last week, and I am just very impressed with how the car drives and handles. It is also very quiet inside. As I said earlier I test drove several other cars, and we just kept coming back to the Kia, it just felt more solid than the nissan, and Mazda, the warranty just topped it off for us. I got to fill it up for the first time today after work, and after manually calculating the mileage it came to 32.7mpg. I was amazed that a vehicle of this shape could get that good of mileage. The indicator showed 33.4mpg, so it was pretty close. My drive to work consist of 38 miles one way of 90% highway driving with a bit of slower traffic at times. After paying 16200.00 out the door, I could not be happier with the purchase!

·
Registered
489 Posts
After researching several cars, I ended up purchasing a Base Kia Soul Dune Auto with the 16 inch alloy upgrade. We also test drove the + and it did have a bit more power, but the only thing it offered that the base didn't that I felt we needed was the armrest, so I have one of those on the way from Ebay for 95.00. I purchased the car for my very soon to be driving teenage daughter after figuring out I didn't want to pay over 10 grand for a clean used car with high mileage. I know I may get several comments about a new car for the teen, but please check out used car prices, they are outrageous and you have no idea what you are buying. I will also save some money by driving it a few days a week instead of my F-150. So since my daughter is not driving just yet, I have been driving the Soul for the last week, and I am just very impressed with how the car drives and handles. It is also very quiet inside. As I said earlier I test drove several other cars, and we just kept coming back to the Kia, it just felt more solid than the nissan, and Mazda, the warranty just topped it off for us. I got to fill it up for the first time today after work, and after manually calculating the mileage it came to 32.7mpg. I was amazed that a vehicle of this shape could get that good of mileage. The indicator showed 33.4mpg, so it was pretty close. My drive to work consist of 38 miles one way of 90% highway driving with a bit of slower traffic at times. After paying 16200.00 out the door, I could not be happier with the purchase!

You have exactly what I have and I agree with used, gas and all else said!! Total fortune and not worth it!!

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,100 Posts
Howdy and welcome! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have exactly what I have and I agree with used, gas and all else said!! Total fortune and not worth it!!
I understand how you feel. I said many times that a new car for a teen was not smart. We looked for almost two months, and just were not happy with anything on the used market, we were always within a few grand of a new car. I am trying to justify it by me driving it three days a week until May of next year. That is when she will get her license. The wife and I wanted her to learn to drive in what she would be driving. So for the next year it is the family commuter car, and for the daughter to learn in. So in reality she will be getting a one year old car when she turns 16, and it will likely have 15 to 20k on it. She does understand that this is going to be her car for years to come! Her grades must remain very good, and she must stay on the straight and narrow. She has been a great kid so far, I can only hope she will keep it up! Either way I understand your opinion.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Welcome! I too was ultimately pushed into buying new after seeing the prices of used Souls in my area. The last used '11+ that I looked at was at a Buick dealer almost right across the road from the Kia dealer, and they wanted more for it than a brand new '12+ was going for. That was all I needed to help me decide on new. Well, that, and getting the full warranty, which I would not have gotten on the used.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah I don't understand people that want to save that $1K and get a used one. Warranty is half and you have no idea how the past owner treated it. No maintenance, smokers, ran the tar out of it since they turned in it so soon. They didn't like it so treated it badly especially if its at another dealer, that means they didn't like Kia.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The rational thinking for buying a Kia Soul for a teenager, might be the Safety Rating for the car.
Getting car insurance for a teenager can be a daunting experience.
Allstate for instance loves the Soul. When I went from a Suzuki SX4, which I thought was a pretty safe little car, and bought my Kia Soul, my monthly car insurance payment went down by 1/3.
Most Insurance companies, will give you a lower rate on a NEW car than on a used car. A NEW car is actually a safer car.

Every day, we hear about another teenager getting a Kia Soul. It sounds to me like a good match.

Right ON TOPIC, I'm happy with my purchase too. To trade for a NEW Kia Soul was probably the best car deal I've made in the past 25 years.

Cheers mates and Happy Motoring!

TM :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rational thinking for buying a Kia Soul for a teenager, might be the Safety Rating for the car.
Getting car insurance for a teenager can be a daunting experience.
Allstate for instance loves the Soul. When I went from a Suzuki SX4, which I thought was a pretty safe little car, and bought my Kia Soul, my monthly car insurance payment went down by 1/3.
Most Insurance companies, will give you a lower rate on a NEW car than on a used car. A NEW car is actually a safer car.

Every day, we hear about another teenager getting a Kia Soul. It sounds to me like a good match.

Right ON TOPIC, I'm happy with my purchase too. To trade for a NEW Kia Soul was probably the best car deal I've made in the past 25 years.

Cheers mates and Happy Motoring!

You are correct. After the purchase I called my State Farm agent put it on the policy. After telling him why we purchased the car, he explained that the Soul was classified by State Farm as a mini van. A mini van is the cheapest type of vehicle to insure. Again I was very pleased to hear that.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
how they classify the Soul as a mini-van is beyond me, the VIN number states that its a wagon 4X2, I guess it doesn't matter if your rates are less ;)

·
Registered
489 Posts
You are correct. After the purchase I called my State Farm agent put it on the policy. After telling him why we purchased the car, he explained that the Soul was classified by State Farm as a mini van. A mini van is the cheapest type of vehicle to insure. Again I was very pleased to hear that.
My insurance from State Farm went up either way. I had a 2004 SUV paying $50 a month full coverage ( same as a new one ) to $100 per month for the 2013 Soul. Thats with the 2004 OFF of it. And I have a perfect record at age 41. I think i'm overpaying if you ask me or it's NC. When I lived in CA, I bought a brand new truck and it was only $50 per month!

·
Registered
928 Posts
My insurance from State Farm went up either way. I had a 2004 SUV paying $50 a month full coverage ( same as a new one ) to $100 per month for the 2013 Soul. That's with the 2004 OFF of it. And I have a perfect record at age 41. I think i'm overpaying if you ask me or it's NC. When I lived in CA, I bought a brand new truck and it was only $50 per month!
Looks to me like it's time for you to do some rate shopping.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Congratulations. The soul is absolutely the best first car for a teenager. I should know, as I just got mine in February. I sure do love mine, and am sure that your daughter will too. Good luck.
- Michael

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
If you walk into a State Farm office and price car insurance there, you will get only one price. (usually)
So unless you "shop around" you'll never know, if you're getting the best rate or not.

I've been going to an independent Insurance Agent, nearby, for the past umteen years. She can shop around for me and get me the best rate with the best Co.
Right now I'm with Allstate. I'm pretty happy with them, but who knows,,,,,, next year I might be with another provider. It all depends on where I can get the best deal.

I am a pretty safe driver and I practice what I've taught.... 'Accident Avoidance'.
No accidents in 50+ years and ~1,000,000 miles.

Every day, out on the highway, on a completely straight road, in broad daylight, I see cars all smashed together. I mentally scream at them..."You idiots!". And I ask myself, "what were they doing besides paying attention to the one thing they should have been doing....Driving their car."
And the answer runs the whole gamut, 'chatting on the cell phone, texting?, putting on makeup, smoking, eating, reading a book (don't laugh,,,,I've seen that).

It's that kind of crap that impacts all our insurance rates.

Only half of the driving experience is getting to your destination, the other half is getting there without running into someone else.

Cheers Mates! (interesting thread)

Reactions: The Old Grouch

·
Registered
489 Posts
I did look around some and yep, State Farm was ripping me off BIG TIME after being with them for 5 years. Thats the reward I get. Agent wasn't too thrilled with me cancelling them and didn't even care that I left. So i'll never in my life go back to them. I was paying $100 per MONTH, now I went to Progressive and now paying $61 per month, same coverage $100K + $300K + I added $10K hospital per person on top of the norm. Thats just about HALF price!

·
Registered
928 Posts
I did look around some and yep, State Farm was ripping me off BIG TIME after being with them for 5 years. Thats the reward I get. Agent wasn't too thrilled with me cancelling them and didn't even care that I left. So i'll never in my life go back to them. I was paying $100 per MONTH, now I went to Progressive and now paying $61 per month, same coverage $100K + $300K + I added $10K hospital per person on top of the norm. Thats just about HALF price!
Not the least bit surprised that you were able to save by moving away from them. Allstate, Prudential, any company that's part of the "Hartford Group", and almost any insurance carrier who claims they will save you hundreds of dollars every year are simply lying through their teeth. I went with Auto Owners years ago, and every time it's renewal time, I'm never able to beat them. Had to go with Geico for the cycle insurance this time , however, as they beat the heck out of my AARP Foremost insurance rate, and Auto Owners doesn't insure cycles for some reason. Geico would have beaten Auto Owners also, if not for trying to screw me on my homeowners because of the (partial) breed of one of my dogs.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hmmm! There must be a little PitBull in that puppy somewhere. ???

From time to time, many auto insurance companies, re-evaluate their insurance rates, depending on the number of auto thefts, accidents, etc. that occur in the particular area. The Tampa area is well known for the number of Fake Claims.

I found out several years ago, that if I lived just 20 miles further west, my ins rates would be higher, due to increased accidents in that area.
So it's not always just you, your car or your driving record, it could just be what neighborhood you live in.

Shopping for Car Insurance isn't my idea of a good time, but sometimes it really pays off!

Nice Thread!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts