Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Venting about Windshield and rocks

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  ItsAllAboutSoul 
#1 ·
I am well aware there are multiple threads about this exact issue, and I also know that this isn't something anyone can "fix" but I gotta tell ya, while I love my car; I have never had so many friggen issues with a car windshield as on my 2013 Exclaim.

In almost 20 years of driving, I had to replace 1 windshield due to a crack.

Since I have owned my 2013 Exclaim in October of 2014 (not quite one year yet), I am getting close to the need for my 3rd windshield in this car.

I am not an aggressive driver, and I am even more cautious with this car due to trying to get the best mpg possible, but it seems like this car is a bulls eye for every rock that could ever get kicked up on the road.

Like I said, I know its not something to be fixed but just wanted to vent...

#3 ·
I've been luck so far and only replaced one.....knocking on wood. :eek:

#4 ·
Ha - this is nothing compared to the windshields on my Titans. I have had 2 of them, and I went through 3 windshields on the first one, and it needed another one when my lease was up (75k), and I have gone through 2 of them with my current one. I have replaced more windshields on those 2 trucks than every other vehicle I've ever owned in 30 years combined. Lucky for me, I keep zero comprehensive, so I get them replaced for free.

#7 ·
NO New windshields here! But, I've had 'things' hit my windshield so hard I thought for sure they were coming right through into the front seat.
I have to go all the way back to my 2006 Suzuki Forenza to remember the last windshield I had to replace, after a tree fell on it. :(

Our Kia windshields are made of shatter proof glass and must meet DOT standards.
But the key word there is "GLASS". Glass can be broken if you hit it hard enough.

Good Luck!
:cool:
PS: +1 on the last post!

#8 ·
like Techno said I've encountered similar situations but its only barely nicked the windshield. Can't even remember having to replace any windshield on any vehicle I've owned. However, I had it replaced on my '08 Rondo under warranty as cracked on the inside when put in a heated shop in winter and found out there was a weld spot causing excessive pressure on the glass in the area where it cracked (lower part at the dash).

I appreciate the vent, but having read many similar comments in the past, I have to smile when someone says
"In almost 20 years of driving, I had to replace 1 windshield due to a crack." - or something similar :sneakiness: - what does that really mean - it really has no bearing on the situation now!
That's like saying:
- you've driven the same identical vehicle all that time
- all the windshields have the same angle on every vehicle
- weather never changes
- traffic is always the same (volume and type of vehicles)
- road conditions never change
- you always drive at the same identical speed, etc, etc, etc

#10 ·
True, but I have been driving the same roads back and fourth to work daily for most of that time.

I get your point, but I think, in the end, my rant is more pointed at the different angle of the windshield causing problems. Most of my driving has been in sedans that are lower to the ground and a much different angle.

#9 ·
My old 2006 Scion xB was horrible for windshields and rocks. Had to replace 3 of them, noticed the chips too late for filling. The slope / vertical angle is what does it for the xB. My 2014 Gen2 Soul has not had any problems (yet, knock on wood). There are different grades of replacement windshields, OEM vs aftermarket (ie - cheaper). Just remember to keep an eye on things, maybe wash the windshield once a week or month and try to find any knicks to fill before they get bigger?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.