Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2021 LX IVT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is supposed to be a safety feature for those who don't know better. Up until 2019 there was a simple technique to disable this feature so that when you want your air to recirculate it was auto turn off. With the 2020 Soul the design change (in my case with manual air system on the LX) the dealer doesn't know how to disable this bothersome feature. There must be a way... in fact I bought this model to get away from Automatic air systems for this reason!

· Registered
Kia Soul EX Premium 2020 space green
11 Posts
This is supposed to be a safety feature for those who don't know better. Up until 2019 there was a simple technique to disable this feature so that when you want your air to recirculate it was auto turn off. With the 2020 Soul the design change (in my case with manual air system on the LX) the dealer doesn't know how to disable this bothersome feature. There must be a way... in fact I bought this model to get away from Automatic air systems for this reason!
Went through this exercise a few days ago. Found the following instructions on page 4-122 of manual and they do work!

To cancel or reset the automatic Ventilation.
When the air conditioning system is on, select face level mode and press recirculated air position more than five times within 3 seconds while pressing A/C button.
When the automatic ventilation is canceled, the indicator blinks 3 times. When the automatic ventilation is activated, the indicator blinks 6 times.

Good Luck

· Registered
2021 LX IVT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went through this exercise a few days ago. Found the following instructions on page 4-122 of manual and they do work!

To cancel or reset the automatic Ventilation.
When the air conditioning system is on, select face level mode and press recirculated air position more than five times within 3 seconds while pressing A/C button.
When the automatic ventilation is canceled, the indicator blinks 3 times. When the automatic ventilation is activated, the indicator blinks 6 times.

Good Luck
Thanks so much Pete! Not only did the maintenance supervisor not know about this, but I missed it in the manual. The pics show what I imagine is the upgraded air version from mine, hopefully it will work. ...

· Registered
11 Posts
Thanks so much Pete! Not only did the maintenance supervisor not know about this, but I missed it in the manual. The pics show what I imagine is the upgraded air version from mine, hopefully it will work. ...
The manual Does not show a different procedure for manual climate system. This made me think of the automatic deffoging system. This might be what you are referring too. It controls recirculating air automatically also. It can also be disabled. There is a different procedure to disable it. Take a look at page 4-128 in the manual for more info.
-
Pete

· Registered
2021 LX IVT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The manual Does not show a different procedure for manual climate system. This made me think of the automatic deffoging system. This might be what you are referring too. It controls recirculating air automatically also. It can also be disabled. There is a different procedure to disable it. Take a look at page 4-128 in the manual for more info.
-
Pete
You are a trouper.... but as it turns out, none of these options work on my model. While this second option you show me is related to a separate feature I would also like to disable, neither are working for my LX model (with IVT). Maybe its a problem with software, maybe a nuance for models for USA, or maybe a punishment for buying a lower end model. Also of note: each of the instructions you offered show up in my manual (USA) one page after where they show in yours.

· Registered
11 Posts
You are a trouper.... but as it turns out, none of these options work on my model. While this second option you show me is related to a separate feature I would also like to disable, neither are working for my LX model (with IVT). Maybe its a problem with software, maybe a nuance for models for USA, or maybe a punishment for buying a lower end model. Also of note: each of the instructions you offered show up in my manual (USA) one page after where they show in yours.
I tried both sequences on my car and they function exactly as manual describes. If it were me I would take my manual and car to dealer and ask for an explanation. Good luck. Often It seems if the computer doesn’t give them a trouble code they are lost. Maybe you have a good one.
Let us know how you make out.
-
Pete
Perhaps an Exorcism is in order. I smell ghosts here.
Exorcism is me “go to” solution for all car problems. If it doesn’t work then I check the manual.

· Registered
2021 LX IVT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried both sequences on my car and they function exactly as manual describes. If it were me I would take my manual and car to dealer and ask for an explanation. Good luck. Often It seems if the computer doesn’t give them a trouble code they are lost. Maybe you have a good one.
Let us know how you make out.
-
Pete

Exorcism is me “go to” solution for all car problems. If it doesn’t work then I check the manual.
Thanks... the dealership isn't quite sure they understand the manual either, but said a regional tech person is coming out, and they're going to schedule me to come in then!

· Registered
179 Posts
Update us when you hear more. I both love and hate the feature. Love it because I don’t find my self falling asleep on long driver anymore (I figure there is a connection...), but hate it when I’m going through all that cattle land along the 5 in CA...I’ll have it off then suddenly the smell of barnyard fills your car.

· Registered
2021 LX IVT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks like that regional person's visit is on forever hold. Even though the dealership continues to operate as normal, they've postponed, indefinitely, visits to dealerships due to, well, you'all know...

· Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,998 Posts
If you guys could put the model & year of your Soul in your signature line, it really helps the rest of us follow and possibly offer up some help.

Thanks!

Reactions: FLHamster

· Registered
2021 LX IVT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Mine model year is in my name, though I see one can add that under their profile pic and name. I'm onto it! Mine is a 2020 base model with IVT.

Darned! I just tried to add my model info below my profile pic/name (as others have done) but I couldn't find that setting. I did a "status update" which didn't work for that... Can you help? Never mind, found it!

· Registered
3,092 Posts
Every time the 'Powers that be' change the forum software, things that used to be easy, just get harder.

AS for the air flow direction, it's easily changed by just a push of a button. I think I remember something like that with my Gen-1 Soul. I just refuse to let the defaults get the better of me. Eh?

Cheers Mates! Stay cool!

FLH :cool:

· Registered
2021 LX IVT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
B
Every time the 'Powers that be' change the forum software, things that used to be easy, just get harder.

AS for the air flow direction, it's easily changed by just a push of a button. I think I remember something like that with my Gen-1 Soul. I just refuse to let the defaults get the better of me. Eh?

Cheers Mates! Stay cool!

FLH :cool:
Brilliant! Why hadn't I thought of myself?
I'll just have another run around the wheel to contemplate that...

· Registered
7 Posts
Also of note: each of the instructions you offered show up in my manual (USA) one page after where they show in yours.
I have a 2020 US model GT-Line. My Kia User Manual is the same as yours, pp 4-123 & 4-129. The instructions work for me.

It still flips to outside air when I turn the knob to floor vent and defrost modes, but when I touch the recirc button, it stays there now. Also, when I turn off the ignition and restart the car it flips to outside air, but when I re-select recirc, it stays.

I forgot to say I have the standard (manual) climate control (with undesired automation).

It is still somewhat of a non-permanent fix, the user manual says it will revert to factory settings when the battery is disconnected.... It beats me why auto manufacturers are taking simple functions like vent door sliders away from users by digitizing them. I also worry about the little actuator in the dash wearing out.

· Registered
2021 Soul LX Manual Transmission
119 Posts
AT LAST! Finally found it on my manual.. thanks to the guy who posted thre info. This stupid setting always annoys me bacuse it won't allow me to recirc air when on the windshield setting. I live in a dusty area with lots of construction so i need this setting...
It works! Finally disabled !

Thanks again!

Product Font Handwriting Material property Parallel

· Registered
2021 LX IVT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AT LAST! Finally found it on my manual.. thanks to the guy who posted thre info. This stupid setting always annoys me bacuse it won't allow me to recirc air when on the windshield setting. I live in a dusty area with lots of construction so i need this setting...
It works! Finally disabled !

Thanks again!

View attachment 138633
I didn't get a notification for this post. I just found this same info tonight while revisiting this theme. Somehow I was able to fix this issue using a different method, possibly the one for the automatic system that somebody mistakenly offered a solution. I was going to try this one tomorrow, though it looks like it is designed for when air conditioning is on. If you have you aircon off and are using a directional setting that includes floor vents, will your system remain in recirculate indefinitely? This is a really important feature for me, so much so I switched from a Corolla to Soul because the Corollas automatic air system didn't have a work-around that either the dealer or I could figure out.

· Registered
2021 LX IVT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Try it. You'll see what it does. You have to do it on each mode. Let us know.
Curiously, I discovered last night that I could do the one for an automatic air system (mine is manual) by substituting turning the dial to defrost (I have no windshield defrost button) and holding down the air conditioning button while tapping the recirc 5 times. I think that is what worked on my last Soul, but not to disable the logic with aircon on. It's all pretty mixed up and the dealership, for 3 years, still has nobody who understands it. !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts