Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Have you thought about relocating the battery to the trunk? There's plenty of room under the cover and taking a 40lbs battery from the front on a front heavy car and putting it in the rear preferably toward the passenger side would balance the car out a bit. Little subtle things like that can really help. I remember 20 or more years ago, a friend of mine used to race stock cars on a 1/4 mile oval and one of the best improvements he made was a wheel and tire combo that was 2lbs lighter per corner. He could not believe what a difference a small reduction of unsprung, rotating weight could make.
I already filled the trunk with an oontz pump trunk floor replacement since Kia cheaped out on my spare tire by not providing it, plus I drive my kids around in it so a battery in the passenger compartment may not be wise. If this was a pure track car yep, it'd probably be in the right corner and the whole interior would be in the bin, the latter I did with my 82 Rabbit.

One of the odd surprises was after installing a Curtis trailer hitch, a small but noticeable amount of the butt wobble went out of the car in corners. I suspect this is acting as a bit of a backdoor frame brace.

Agreed on the wheels, you really can feel the difference on these cars since you're not working with a ton of power. I had base model Dodge Stealth wheels on my car for a minute when I first got it, but they made the car feel like it was driving in wet cement (heavy wheel and tire combo plus tall, mushy sidewalls). Switching to a relatively light set of steelies was felt immediately.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yay track-minded people! I'll be very curious to see how the Veloster rear sway bar fits if you're able to try it out. I'll scour my local Facebook groups and Hyundai group to see if anyone's willing to give one up for cheap. I also hate the rear-end shimmy in that god-awful twist beam rear suspension, and the Soul could definitely use some added rear stiffness to balance things out a bit. I've been searching for cross-platform options for a good while too, but haven't found much.

One thing that did help stability a bit was to widen the contact patch of the car- going to 235s on +50 offset compared to the factory 205s on +47 made the car feel more planted.
Yeah these things respond to wider rubber for sure. I almost feel like my 225s might be too wide as I lost some of the gradual transition to a drift at the limit and the controllable throttle-off oversteer but the tradeoff is the limit went way up. I now have to be very conscious of exceeding it because it begins to mildly plow exceeding cornering grip limits.

I might have to impulse buy a swaybar now, my curiosity keeps getting more severe the more I talk about it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yeah these things respond to wider rubber for sure. I almost feel like my 225s might be too wide as I lost some of the gradual transition to a drift at the limit and the controllable throttle-off oversteer but the tradeoff is the limit went way up. I now have to be very conscious of exceeding it because it begins to mildly plow exceeding cornering grip limits.

I might have to impulse buy a swaybar now, my curiosity keeps getting more severe the more I talk about it.
235 is an OEM fitment, so I'd say that 225 isn't too wide, at least from a chassis fitment point of view. I honestly would love to shove a set of 255/60-15s under the car, but for some reason it's nearly impossible to find a cheap 15x9 +60 to +65 offset wheel. Go figure. Probably wouldn't fit on the inner portion of the wheel well without thinner struts or some enthusiastic massage work, but it'd look damn cool. And I have a BRZ and CRX to spend money on before the Soul...

Did you go 225 on the stock wheels? Maybe the wheel isn't wide enough for the 225 carcass?

On the sway bar, looks like Progress and Whiteline offer rear bars for the Veloster. Based on the pics from Progress, it seems like the bars bolt on underneath the spring perches? Maybe if fitment isn't perfect from the Soul to the Veloster (I'm betting it's the same), a nice thick steel plate might work as an adapter.

Progress is 19mm and Whiteline is 18mm?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts