Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter has arrived here. We got our first round of freezing rain and wet snow. I turned off the auto mode to keep the mirrors from folding in case they froze up.

What are peoples experience with them in winter? Has anyone used them during winter without worry? Is it safe to use this feature at all during winter? Or should their use be avoided only on days when freezing rain or wet snow or thaw then freeze is forecast or after washing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Can't help ya, Live in Florida and keep the vehicle in the garage.

If I had to guess, I would just leave them down until the 3 weeks of summer you get... :tan:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I never had any issues with my Optima. Well, I only had the power mirrors for one winter, but they never froze. Freezing rain is also not something we get very often. I would just let them be. The motor is powerful enough to break the ice.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Depending where you live of course, you definitely will need to break some ice off from time to time. We always have on cars with power folding mirrors. Happens mostly when it rains or it is wet snow and the temperature drops quickly. But it isn't many times over a Winter normally.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I dont think I have those. I dont think I ever have on any car. why would I want to fold them against the car?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
1. In car washes
2. In narrow parking spaces when people try to walk between cars
3. A good indicator that the doors are actually locked
4. This car fits in our shed only with mirrors folded, no need to get out of the car every time to fold/unfold.
5. Parking garages

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
you just have to take precautions (and common sense) depending on the condition at the time, its no different that using your power windows when your vehicle is covered in ice (there is a warning about this in your manual), just don't use them or till you get the ice off, or in the case of the power folding mirrors where you can turn it off so that it does not auto fold as you mentioned.

KIA is not going to replace a burnt out motor under warranty from ice conditions.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Folding mirrors,never had e'm.
The way I see it, just another needless thing that will eventually
break. A friend has a Mercedes with all the auto do-dads(think Merc started
the auto mirror deal). He's always taking the car into the dealer to fix one or
more of these features that"make your life easier"--geez.
Keep things simple.

Much ado about nothing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a 2016 Exclaim with all the factory options & it doesn't have power folding mirrors although there is mention of them in the owner's manual. Are they available in the US?

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
The way I see it, just another needless thing that will eventually break. A friend has a Mercedes with all the auto do-dads(think Merc started the auto mirror deal). He's always taking the car into the dealer to fix one or more of these features that"make your life easier"--geez.
Keep things simple.
not surprising as the Mercedes is one of the least reliable vehicles :sneakiness:

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
I have a 2016 Exclaim with all the factory options & it doesn't have power folding mirrors although there is mention of them in the owner's manual. Are they available in the US?
not for 2016, they use to be, but are available on some other KIA models. They are standard on the Canadian 2016 Soul SX model.

for those who are not familiar with them

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
not for 2016, they use to be, but are available on some other KIA models. They are standard on the Canadian 2016 Soul SX model.

for those who are not familiar with them

Thought the auto folding mirrors may be only on Canadian models.

My 2013 + mirrors fold manually. Got to get out of the vehicle,or open a window to snap e'm back.
Has turn signals in the mirrors also(seems an important feature for some).
Have to think that the guy that said he's glad he does not have to exit his Soul
because he has the wiz-bang electro models may be a bit on the rotund side.
Just sayin...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Even before unlocking the doors, when they are set to auto they unfold automatically as you walk up to the car as if the car is welcoming you with open arms. :cheerful: Gives me the warm and fuzzies. Put a smile on my face the first time it happened. It's the reason I bought the car. :wink:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Even before unlocking the doors, when they are set to auto they unfold automatically as you walk up to the car as if the car is welcoming you with open arms. :cheerful: Gives me the warm and fuzzies. Put a smile on my face the first time it happened. It's the reason I bought the car. :wink:
That's the reason?.....LOL

Hey whatever floats your boat!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The way I see it, just another needless thing that will eventually
break. A friend has a Mercedes with all the auto do-dads(think Merc started
the auto mirror deal). He's always taking the car into the dealer to fix one or
more of these features that"make your life easier"--geez.
Keep things simple.

Much ado about nothing.
That's a Mercedes quality problem, not an options problem. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts