Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my used 2011 base model Soul about a year and a half ago. Ive never been an AUX user but just started messing with it. When I connect my Galaxy s3, I get a loud whining noise when I play something. To make it worse, it gets louder when Im driving faster. Ive tried this with multiple android and iphones, even different AUX cables, all with the same problem. To make it even more interesting, when I dont have the USB plugged into the phone (whether the other end is plugged into the actual USB or a cig lighter USB), I seem to be missing a track of audio. Like I will hear no lyrics, or no base, or something. I have to plug in a USB to even hear the audio properly.

Any thoughts??

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Sounds like to me that you have a bad coupling circuit (or in the proper circumstances a bad decoupling circuit) in the head unit. I would venture to say that this is probably going to lead to a head unit replacement but I am just guessing here. But that should not be a bad fix but the replacement head unit (non KIA) will set you back 100 to 150 bucks, me thinks. But it is probably a DIY installation.

BTW, welcome. You may want to think about an introduction thread in the new members area. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Im just learning that some people have bluetooth in theirs and was browsing around a bit, looks like a unit with Bluetooth should fit in my Soul and a used one would run about the same price. If thats the price of what fixing it comes out to be, Ill probably just buy a new unit all together. Still researching though! Wish I was knowledgable and experienced with the AUX stuff before I bought it, oh well!

Been at work and havent browsed the forum yet so I may just do that, joined this one because it seemed to be one of the more active Soul forums :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, what exactly do you mean by "head unit"?

Sounds like to me that you have a bad coupling circuit (or in the proper circumstances a bad decoupling circuit) in the head unit. I would venture to say that this is probably going to lead to a head unit replacement but I am just guessing here. But that should not be a bad fix but the replacement head unit (non KIA) will set you back 100 to 150 bucks, me thinks. But it is probably a DIY installation.

BTW, welcome. You may want to think about an introduction thread in the new members area. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Also, what exactly do you mean by "head unit"?
The main radio component mounted in your dash. Even though on the base model it is actually not just a head unit. Sorry for the confusion but we tend to refer to it this way on this board (please don't yell at me, I am only the messenger) :)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Vico drive if you read the hand book carefully the auxillary socket is a dedicated 'I' phone/pad Din1 or 2.
No other similar jacks will work correctly.
Cheap cables may limit functional abilities.
The jacks allows your I phone to work from steering wheel controls and the USB socket transfers music type files of the specified type to your radio unit.
On your year and up to 2013 the cables were supplied with cars then supply was dropped as a lot of people were happy with Bluetooth transfer.
Many dealers stock cables that will work.
Android phones are only transferable using like a memory stick, plugged in by USB but files must be compatible.
There is only a small 5v current at USB enough to send file transfers not meant for charging.
Transfer all your music to 16 GB memory sticks each album as folder select folder on your radio controls and then select tracks from steering wheel.
Details of 'your music to USB' already posted only takes 2 minutes for each CD 0r music files from computer.

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts