Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best year for a used Soul? I am looking but don't know where to begin, except Consumer Reports, and they picked 2016-2018.

Thanks,
peverson

·
Registered
332 Posts
A well cared for vehicle at a decent price is a great place to start, irregardless of it's model year.
Personally I would not buy a GDI engine from ANY manufacturer until about 2025. It's still an experimental design currently in mass market testing.
You haven't given us any particulars.
General price range, transmission preference, basic factory upgrades or trim level of interest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like to get one for 10-12K. I have never driven a Kia, so I don't really know what info to include. I can drive either a manual or an automatic. Not considering any upgrades at this point until I figure out what I should be looking at. I prefer to drive small cars; my recent one was a Fit, but I want one slightly bigger to haul grandchildren. I do not want a minivan. The Soul looks pretty safe, and it appears to be a bit larger than a Fit. Trim? I don't even know what's out there.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It is larger than a Fit and smaller than a minivan. Your $10-12k is just under new prices, especially if you have something to sell. New would have great warranty paperwork.
On Generation 1 and Gen2 they called the trim "base" "+" "!" Base is entry level, plus is mid and exclaim is loaded. (essientially)
There are a few on here that can give more detailed information and pointers on options.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
2014 was the first year of the second gen Soul.
I'd get one no older than that.
Why?
I have a 2012 and a 2013, bought new (one auto, one manual). Bought my daughter a 2013 about 3 years ago. None of these vehicles have ever been back to the dealer for anything beyond a couple of recalls. Mine is at almost 150k miles. Mine has started burning some oil that changing the PCV valve didn't help. Beyond that and changing my seat cushion, mine is still pretty much like new.

OP: Knowing what I know now, I would probably opt for a 2010 or 2011 model just because I'd rather not have the GDI engine. I'm sure I have some carbon fouling in mine because I can improve my high-load driving by jumping up to 89 or 93 octane. Beyond that these are solid little cars. I'm not particularly impressed with the gearing on the 6 speed manual but it's tolerable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm not particularly impressed with the gearing on the 6 speed manual but it's tolerable.
What is it about the gearing? I have a 11' and I find the RPM on the highway way too high in the 5sp. I am strongly considering switching to a 13'. I have also seen a road test by a well known car snob and he was surprised to find the '13 quite a good car to drive and comfortable. My 11' is not that comfy on long trips but it might just be the seats are worn out and hard.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
What is it about the gearing? I have a 11' and I find the RPM on the highway way too high in the 5sp. I am strongly considering switching to a 13'. I have also seen a road test by a well known car snob and he was surprised to find the '13 quite a good car to drive and comfortable. My 11' is not that comfy on long trips but it might just be the seats are worn out and hard.
this chart will explain why your RPM is higher for the 5 sp

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
Mine being to 2.0L, according to the chart the final drive ratio is LOWER on the 5 speed compared to the 6sp. Am I reading this correct? If so I would just keep what I have.
look at the gear ratios

·
Registered
44 Posts
look at the gear ratios
I did and from what I read 5th gear in each transmission is the same with the 6sp a little lower ratio, but the FINAL DRIVE ratio is lower on the 5sp. Now the way I am INTERPRETING this is to say that the OVERALL ratio is lower. If in fact that the chart is only stating the PITCH of the final drive gears than I concede.

The way to tell for sure is to have each version at the same highway RPM and note the speed.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The way to tell for sure is to have each version at the same highway RPM and note the speed
I'm not particularly impressed with the gearing on the 6 speed manual but it's tolerable
I know my 11+2.0 5speed is 3000rpm at 40mph in 3rd. I usually skip fourth altogether and found this a good cross point. I'll have to make a note of 60mph in 5th.
Factory 205/55R16 FWIW.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Why?
I have a 2012 and a 2013, bought new (one auto, one manual). Bought my daughter a 2013 about 3 years ago. None of these vehicles have ever been back to the dealer for anything beyond a couple of recalls. Mine is at almost 150k miles. Mine has started burning some oil that changing the PCV valve didn't help. Beyond that and changing my seat cushion, mine is still pretty much like new.

OP: Knowing what I know now, I would probably opt for a 2010 or 2011 model just because I'd rather not have the GDI engine. I'm sure I have some carbon fouling in mine because I can improve my high-load driving by jumping up to 89 or 93 octane. Beyond that these are solid little cars. I'm not particularly impressed with the gearing on the 6 speed manual but it's tolerable.
I'd get the second gen for the newer tech, and improvements over the 1st gen.
Not that the 1st gen was bad or anything.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know my 11+2.0 5speed is 3000rpm at 40mph in 3rd. I usually skip fourth altogether and found this a good cross point. I'll have to make a note of 60mph in 5th.
Factory 205/55R16 FWIW.
When in 5th mine is turning 3000 RPM it is doing 66 MPH and in 3rd yours is very close. The difference is probably due to the different tire size on my little fella (205/50/17). Here is a snippet from a test trip I did yesterday before I changed the tires for the winter. The speed is in KPH and is from GPS data and the RPM is from the OBD data.

·
Registered
332 Posts
When in 5th mine is turning 3000 RPM it is doing 66 MPH
I did check last night, 55mph is 2500rpm even. I saw 60 at about 2700 analog.
I've only seen the open road once with my molten, almost 175miles round trip, 65mph sustained, that yielded 35mpg. It's fantastic for me coming out of a Gen1 Sportage 5sp 4x4 which never got over 24mpg on that same route at 62mph.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did check last night, 55mph is 2500rpm even. I saw 60 at about 2700 analog.
I've only seen the open road once with my molten, almost 175miles round trip, 65mph sustained, that yielded 35mpg. It's fantastic for me coming out of a Gen1 Sportage 5sp 4x4 which never got over 24mpg on that same route at 62mph.
If the 6SP MT really does make that much difference I can see myself getting one. I may look around for a used one, plug in my OBD and take it for a test drive and record the results. I can get your kind of mileage in mine but I would have to drive at 55 understandably so as it has almost 250,000 miles (400,000 KM)

·
Registered
332 Posts
the 6SP MT really does make that much difference I can see myself getting one. I may look around for a used one,
I'm happy with my 11+ 5sp nonGDI. I would consider Frankenstein-ing the gears if I wanted to run 70+ a few times each week.
Keep 1st and second, replace 3rd, delete my 4th, move 5th in it's place and pull 6th from a nephew. Still a 5speed, but redesigned away from progressive shifting patterns.
If you do go chasing a 12-19 remember it's a different animal. GDI and electric steering.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
First gear isn't tall enough and the spacing from 1-2 sucks. The torque band is lousy on the first two gears. 3-5 are great. If you turn on the "eco" mode and follow the recommended shift points on first and second, for example, you'll feel the engine lugging (I leave this turned off, it's annoying). By the time you hit the torque band on 1 you have to shift and then you're too low in the power band for 2nd. The auto is much better from 1-3, and you can see that in the gear chart with how much taller 1st and 2nd are. If you look at the gear chart conwel posted up you can see the gap from 1-2, although now that I've see that chart I can see I wouldn't be happy with an 11 either, as the 1-2 spacing is almost the same with even less torque.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts